How much is your water bill?

Soldato
I'd love to see a Thames bill if they're that complicated, can't say I recall my Southern metered bills being all that difficult to understand.

Soldato
One shower a day, each. Occasionally another for me if I go for a run. Considering we're very protective of wastage/spending (even have a timer in the shower :p) £40 seems very steep for us - if that's what you're paying for a family of four, albeit not WFH. Hmn.

Do smart meters for water exist? I just think you know, it's 2021, why can't a company as big as TW actually charge you for what you use? :confused:
Oh I made a schoolboy error it should be double that, I'd just looked at the bank account and missed the payment in the middle so I thought it was 6 monthly rather than quaterly:). We use about 90 a month. That's 2 showers every other day and 2 baths a week and the occasional car wash. 142p water in, 182p water out. Going on that your bills look very comparable. Also that water down south if horrendous:eek:.

Soldato
£42 per month in Manchester. 2 adults + 1 child.

As someone posted above, the standard rate without a meter for our property was £58 per month with United Utilities. I'd have to bath about 3 times a day to hit that amount with the metre.

Man of Honour
Oh goodie another "Scam in the real world" thread :D

I pay £13 a month for a 2 bed house but I have no meter. However my wife earns 23.534348853% less than I do, but she contributes to 2.3443434% more of the household chores, so we simply divide the bill on a rolling basis where I pay 73.342342343% and she pays the remainder, with a true up each quarter on a rolling half-decade basis.
This post did not receive the credit it deserved.

Soldato
@Scam is there anything particularly difficult about reading your meter and submitting it yourself like many do for gas and electric?

My meter used to get read once a year and billed twice a year. For the first two estimates bills I read the meter myself and requested a new bill online. After that the estimates were close enough I stopped bothering. The meter was under a plastic cover in the pavement in front of my house, took 30 seconds to read and the cover could be lifted with a screwdriver.

At this house the meter is in my back garden in some insulated box above ground. Now I just get a card reminding me to read it and submit online or leave outside for it to be collected.

We use about 115m3/year for two adults, paying rates based on the size of the property would be significantly more.

Soldato
OP
@Scam is there anything particularly difficult about reading your meter and submitting it yourself like many do for gas and electric?
Like I said above, having looked up how to do it and found our meter outside, no it's not difficult. But can you give them a reading once a month? I'm under the impression they only take into account two a year or whatever it is. I dunno I need to look at that part. The main point of this thread was finding out how our bill compares. Seems like anything from £20-40 is acceptable for two people.

Soldato
Looking forward to the next Scam thread. Some predictions:

1. Does anyone else have to put the bins out, every week?

2. Do you all vacuum your house? How much was your vacuum? I can't believe the house doesn't come with a vacuum when it is inevitable it is going to get dusty.

3. Why do I have to pay council tax?

Associate
Like I said above, having looked up how to do it and found our meter outside, no it's not difficult. But can you give them a reading once a month? I'm under the impression they only take into account two a year or whatever it is. I dunno I need to look at that part. The main point of this thread was finding out how our bill compares. Seems like anything from £20-40 is acceptable for two people.

Like you say once you have found it it's quite simple. In case of my parents theirs is outside by the road and they can get to it but the plastic is so badly scratched they can't actually see it to read it.

Soldato
Like you say once you have found it it's quite simple. In case of my parents theirs is outside by the road and they can get to it but the plastic is so badly scratched they can't actually see it to read it.

Ours has a big lump of mortar blobbed right on the gauge, which looks to me about 1.5m down rendering any efforts to chip it off pointless

Associate
£63.49 per month, rated value, 3-bed semi.

I've used the United Utilities online water calculator and it suggests our bill would go up over £400pa if we moved to a meter.

Previous house was only £20ish pm (rated, 2 bed terrace). :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom