• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Good old XFX. If the 25c delta is when you are drawing 400W, that's normal for air. So i would only consider doing it if the delta is 25c+ at 300W or thereabouts.

The XFX cooler is a pain to take apart as well, i tried it. So many screws and parts. :D
According to GPUZ the chip power draw is 352w peak (without MPT). Im going to run a quick benchmarks to double check Delta temps.

Caporegime
According to GPUZ the chip power draw is 352w peak (without MPT). Im going to run a quick benchmarks to double check Delta temps.
It sounds similar to my Merc. Delta's were around 20c for the most part but could peak up to 25c and even 27c at 400W load.

I probably wouldn't bother if I was you as there's always the risk it'll get worse.

Associate
It sounds similar to my Merc. Delta's were around 20c for the most part but could peak up to 25c and even 27c at 400W load.

I probably wouldn't bother if I was you as there's always the risk it'll get worse.
Yeah its mostly 20C but get over 25C at times. I have plenty of Kryonaut laying around, I dont know how good the stuff that they use is.

Associate
There's SYY paste too.

• SAFETY APPLICATION: SYY processor thermal paste is metal-free and non-conductive, which eliminates any risk of short circuit and adds more protection to the CPU and VGA card.
  • BETTER THAN LIQUID METAL: Thermal Conductivity:15.7W/m-k, it is composed of carbon particles and has extremely high thermal conductivity. It ensures that the heat generated by the CPU or GPU is effectively dissipated.
  • EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE: SYY thermal compound edition 2020 formula has excellent component heat dissipation performance and extremely high thermal conductivity, for optimal heat-transfer from the CPU or GPU to the heatsink.
  • EASY TO APPLY: SYY thermal paste has ideal consistency, not electrically conductive and non-corroding thermal grease, safe to use with all types of heatsinks and is very easy to use even for beginners.
  • HIGH DURABILITY: In contrast to metal and silicon thermal conductive adhesives, SYY thermal paste cpu 2020 will not compromise over time. After applying, you do not need to apply again because it will last at least 5 years.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Ok, I had a thermal shutdown at 100c hotspot. Gpu core temp was only 60c so getting repasted tomorrow when Gelid GC extreme gets delivered.

Associate
You are right, I've sent Kaap a mail to see if he will update the thread. Also the Timespy Extreme thread, the top two Nvidia GPUs in that are using Chillers also.

This means, AMD is fastest in Timespy Extreme now too with non Extreme cooling. :D

I think they are safe with Port Royal though, but no one cares much about that bench too much from the few number of entries. :)

Glad you messaged Kaap Matt. I don't think it was done deliberately, it's a long time since peeps have been using Phase, LN2, Dice or chillers regularly on this forum. I'm guessing they just didn't know there is a section for extreme cooling on it's own.
The giveaway of course is the average temp for the clock being run...............just not possible without extreme cooling.

I don't think using a chiller in a loop is extreme cooling at all. The clocks I use on my 3090 on 3dmark HOF are the exact same as the clocks I use in 24/7 gaming. I'm not playing a lot of Eve Online right now but my rigs are built with MMOs in mind - if you crash you risk losing assets that represent thousands of man-hours of time.

"Extreme cooling" to me (and most of the community, e.g. hwbot) means benchmarking runs that go "N/A" temperature in 3dmark, which usually entails DICE or LN2. To some extent, I think that putting AC units in front of air coolers and the like is 'extreme' cooling in that it's not sustainable 24/7. My runs are around 30c, which is what I hold my card at all day long.

You can see my (main) card here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/od2b4y/pushing_the_founder_3090fe_living_on_a/

It's 'extreme' perhaps compared to an Alienware but not 'extreme cooling' in the sense of the XOC scene. I think setups that can run 24/7 without needing any special benchmarking work should be featured more rather than less - since they also cost more and take more time to set up overall. It's the same reason a Jesko costs more than a dragster, since the engine doesn't need rebuilding and can perform constantly at that level.

And there's a reason for all this: if, for example, I record 12k footage of an Eve battle, that rig has to be 100% stable at insane clocks because it's a moment in time that can't be captured again: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/knlud0/unedited_12k_view_of_the_m2_battle_all_details_max/

I've always recorded MMO battles like that (e.g. chilled 3xTitan Maxwell, 2xTitanXP, etc.), some of the footage of which ended up in the V&A museum, for example. That's different to Kingpin doing a run on his bench: I need the tech to be invisible in the moment where it's working hardest.

The same is true in gameplay, where some of my group's strategies needed cutting edge tech at various times to pull off one thing or another.

AMD's recent driver work is awesome and I love seeing the 6900XT do well (I might pick up one or two) but putting one next to an air conditioner for a benching run and then wanting to invalidate 24/7 chilled 3090 loops that run their clocks all day at 30c, is silly.

Caporegime
I don't think using a chiller in a loop is extreme cooling at all. The clocks I use on my 3090 on 3dmark HOF are the exact same as the clocks I use in 24/7 gaming. I'm not playing a lot of Eve Online right now but my rigs are built with MMOs in mind - if you crash you risk losing assets that represent thousands of man-hours of time.

"Extreme cooling" to me (and most of the community, e.g. hwbot) means benchmarking runs that go "N/A" temperature in 3dmark, which usually entails DICE or LN2. To some extent, I think that putting AC units in front of air coolers and the like is 'extreme' cooling in that it's not sustainable 24/7. My runs are around 30c, which is what I hold my card at all day long.

You can see my (main) card here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/od2b4y/pushing_the_founder_3090fe_living_on_a/

It's 'extreme' perhaps compared to an Alienware but not 'extreme cooling' in the sense of the XOC scene. I think setups that can run 24/7 without needing any special benchmarking work should be featured more rather than less - since they also cost more and take more time to set up overall. It's the same reason a Jesko costs more than a dragster, since the engine doesn't need rebuilding and can perform constantly at that level.

And there's a reason for all this: if, for example, I record 12k footage of an Eve battle, that rig has to be 100% stable at insane clocks because it's a moment in time that can't be captured again: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/knlud0/unedited_12k_view_of_the_m2_battle_all_details_max/

I've always recorded MMO battles like that (e.g. chilled 3xTitan Maxwell, 2xTitanXP, etc.), some of the footage of which ended up in the V&A museum, for example. That's different to Kingpin doing a run on his bench: I need the tech to be invisible in the moment where it's working hardest.

The same is true in gameplay, where some of my group's strategies needed cutting edge tech at various times to pull off one thing or another.

AMD's recent driver work is awesome and I love seeing the 6900XT do well (I might pick up one or two) but putting one next to an air conditioner for a benching run and then wanting to invalidate 24/7 chilled 3090 loops that run their clocks all day at 30c, is silly.
Yep, Kaap confirmed that Extreme cooling only counts as LN2, so no problem as far as I am concerned. I was under the impression that Extreme also covered Chillers/Phase change etc so reached out privately for clarification.

The way I look at it, it just makes the 6900 XTs scores more impressive that they can beat/match a 3090 on such cooling when only using Air/AIO. :)

The clocks i achieve are the same as what I run in game for the most part, in gaming i can run 2825Mhz/2162Mhz without AC and that is what I use in the Timespy bench.

Last edited:
Soldato

Out of interest which chiller are you using? I didn't think they would have the power to keep the temperature in check.

Associate
The way I look at it, it just makes the 6900 XTs scores more impressive that they can beat/match a 3090 on such cooling when only using Air/AIO. :)
It is flawed anyway since it uses the overall score instead of graphical score. In the graphic cards section we should be more interested in the graphics score than the overall score.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It is flawed anyway since it uses the overall score instead of graphical score. In the graphic cards section we should be more interested in the graphics score than the overall score.
But you need a fast cpu to get a high gpu score, so it kinda make sense to have a combined score.

Associate
Idk, i see that for some reason some intel CPU's (like 10900K) are scoring higher than the AMD CPU's. A Radeon card owner will more likely use an AMD CPU so he will be disavantaged if the leaderboard is based on the overall score.

Back
Top Bottom