Afghanistan - 20 years on

Soldato
Guess that's it then for the Afghan experiment, it's clear the people don't mind the Taliban being in charge by the speedy capitulation of the country
I actually think most don't care, they just want peace and to live their lives, and don't much care who's in charge. Not everyone in the world wants 'democracy' and I'm sure a few hands lobbed off will soon stop a lot of thieving.
It's going to be horrible for young people, especially women.

Soldato
The rher way to look at it is. If they fight and lose as all their support has left they and their family will be brutally tortured/killed.

Why would you risk it?

This is what it boils down to. The bulk of the population obviously saw this as inevitable so what's the point of getting yourself/family killed over it? Obviously this could still be a short sighted decision depending on whether the Taliban go full Taliban or not.

Caporegime
This is what it boils down to. The bulk of the population obviously saw this as inevitable so what's the point of getting yourself/family killed over it? Obviously this could still be a short sighted decision depending on whether the Taliban go full Taliban or not.

But taliban needs fighters, those soldiers are probably just going to be recruited.

For them it's just a change in who signs th cheques

Caporegime
Seeing countless stories of women in employment, law and education, some who’ve never experienced life in the dark ages who’re despairing about those things being taken away from them and returning to just being glorified cattle/property.

Don’t think the Taliban will be doing social media either.

Interestingly it also says the Taliban will be executing those two men for murder.

I think there is. Huge disconnect between leadership and the forces involved

Soldato
Guess that's it then for the Afghan experiment, it's clear the people don't mind the Taliban being in charge by the speedy capitulation of the country

Same as Vietnam. Full of tribal/clan areas that have lived the same pastoral life for centuries with just the uniforms of the bandits changing over time. They don’t know nor care who’s in power as long as they’re left alone.

Soldato
OP
I think this must be a large part of the answer as to why it collapsed so quickly. I'm sure there are many reasons behind the poor morale (eg corruption, poor treatment and training, weak national identity, lack of faith in leaders etc), but maybe abandonment by allies is the easiest one to point to.

Hearing that the USA had done a deal with the Taliban and were planning to scarper and leave you to it, taking all the air support that you've been trained to rely on must have been a bit of a gut punch. Hardly a vote of confidence from your biggest ally when they do a deal with your enemy and abandon you is it.

Soldato
All be forgotten about in a few weeks/months. Politicians will spin this to slopey shoulder for a few weeks then its christmas shopping time. They will quickly get back to reporting covid stuff as soon as possible. Back to normal jogging.

Who cares about all the other humanitarian crisis in the world really?

Soldato
I've got to say I am disappointed, but not at all surprised. I saw this coming for some time now. I did not expect it to happen anywhere near as fast. I was expecting this to happen over a periods of months/years, not weeks...
When it comes down to it, it wasnt sustainable to continue out there, the ANA/ANP have had best part of two decades of assistance/training/mentoring and it amounted to nothing. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. I think it really was time to up sticks and let them get on with it, we cant hold their hand forever.

I got to say I do feel a bit of sadness, we lost far to many good lads and lasses out there. I spent almost a year and a half of my life there. I always wanted to return as a civilian. For all of its many flaws, its a breathtakingly beautiful country, as were the people when not corrupted by power or money.

Man of Honour

They didn't really have much choice - the US pulled the rug from under them undermining any chance they had to fight back even if they would - they had months to address well known deficiencies such as the pay situation and defensive posture.

Associate
Should never of been there in the first place, I feel for all the soldiers that have given there life for very little but now is the time to leave this county alone and let them get on with it.

Permabanned
it would have needed 50-60 yrs to change the mind set ..not just 20 .. thing is it's like any other 3rd world country corruption. the money wont go to those that protect it will be filtered out so they don't wont to fight for nothing .. 80% of them can't read or write ..
but if you would have stayed the youth would have brought up there children in a free society and been educated in that way .. giving rise to i want to fight for this ..
within the next 5-10 yrs us or someone else will be back .. i'm hoping Iran or another Muslim country .. we as Christians don't have the mind set to change them .
the Taliban will do what they do till hunted down .. bombs and terrorist acts to follow as they will be on a high for the next few yrs .. :)

Soldato
Should never of been there in the first place, I feel for all the soldiers that have given there life for very little but now is the time to leave this county alone and let them get on with it.

that is how war is, in WW2 more people than that died fighting over a hill or an empty field. war just sucks full stop

Back
Top Bottom