• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

Associate
Looks like someone had been at the spreadable marshmallow stuff you can get.

I guess the same thermal pads would be on all of their FE cards so does make me think about swapping mine.

Associate
OP
I've installed an AIO to help with airflow and again it had made no difference, the back of the card has plenty of room to breathe now, but it still sounds like a jet engine when playing quake 2 RTX. I've set a custom fan curve so it only ever reaches 80% but it feels to me that the card might be defective. I've seen lots of reports online of people RMAing cards that are too hot. Is it worth trying? At this point I'm tempted to sell it and wait for the 3080ti and 3080 to come into stock again.

YohVqfe.jpg

1caaQe4

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the same on my 3080 FE, luckily my OEM pads came out without much issue as I basically changed them out within the 1st week of ownership.

Huge improvement on VRAM temps. peaking in the 80C's now.
Thats awesome, i never tested my aib card as i jumped to a waterblock pretty much within a week or so of ownership. Can say my vram temps sit around 65-68c gaming, backplate gets incredibly hot.

Permabanned
Damn, I feel :o as I never noticed the rear is partly blocked by the case after removing 3 slot covers till I seen this thread.

Permabanned
Yes gaming is also an issue, the RTX 3090FE cards do run at incredibly high temps and Nv dont give a ****

I recently changed the thermal pads out on my RTX 3090 FE as it would heat up to 104 degrees on my memory while mining for a short while. But my card runs at 102 degrees on the memory now so it didn’t make much of a difference.

Could it be because my gpu is so close to my cpu cooler that there isn’t enough airflow to cool the memory chips? The only other thing I can think of is that I used my fingers to place the thermal pads and apparently that effects performance.

The idle temperatures seem to have improved 31 degrees on the core and 40 on the memory.

Warranty voided.

Permabanned
I cant believe the **** you have to go through to make your 1500 quid card usable...

The card runs perfectly fine for gaming, no throttling at all, youcan even overclock the card and get good thermals! Core never passes 80c and VRAM sits at 96c in a 32c room, just leave the fan on auto or set your desired fan curve.

It's all those trying to mine on in that causes it to fry the memory chips. Go and buy a miner.

Associate
OP
The card runs perfectly fine for gaming, no throttling at all, youcan even overclock the card and get good thermals! Core never passes 80c and VRAM sits at 96c in a 32c room, just leave the fan on auto or set your desired fan curve.

It's all those trying to mine on in that causes it to fry the memory chips. Go and buy a miner.

But it sounds like a jet engine doing it, 100% fan speed in quake 2 RTX. I shouldn't have to make a custom fan curve after repadding and undervolting.

Soldato

Lol I'm sure plenty have seen 100C+ VRAM temps while gaming, even saw the 3080 which has no VRAM on back of PCB hit 104C in games :)

Ultimately I would hope the card throttles enough to prevent frying of any silicon.

Associate
But it sounds like a jet engine doing it, 100% fan speed in quake 2 RTX. I shouldn't have to make a custom fan curve after repadding and undervolting.
but you should have to repaste, repad and undervolt?

they are going to see this and be like "we should just sell PCBs in future" or "wow they are willing to buy these cards even though they are frying themselves, maybe we should reduce our warrantees next time so the frying actually makes us money"

Permabanned
Associate
OP
Associate
Lol I'm sure plenty have seen 100C+ VRAM temps while gaming, even saw the 3080 which has no VRAM on back of PCB hit 104C in games :)

Ultimately I would hope the card throttles enough to prevent frying of any silicon.
My 3080 FE was seeing 100C+ VRAM temps. whilst gaming.

Sod the warranty, thermal pad mod and undervolting done... VRAM temps. in the 80C's now.

Associate
I don’t ever see over 98deg VRM temps max when gaming even with a mild overclock and nothing over 68deg core. And the fans do not sound like a jet for me, sits nicely around 50-70% depending.

maybe some are better than others ?

Permabanned
It's raytracing that seems to smash the VRM temps I think.

I've put Metro with Raytracing all maxed out to give 60fps and VRAM temps never passed 94c-96c on the 3090. Fan never exceeded 65%. Only was allowed to play for 1 hour.
RDR2 4k maxed settings 86-96c on the 3090. Fan never exceeded 65%.

A good build with case and good air flow helps.

VRAM does run a bit hot with NVIDIA cards, but I have never seen 105c unless I set the fan manually to say 40% and game then the heat builds up. AMD cards have cooler VRAM, so a 6800XT might never pass 78c TJUNCTION.

Last edited:
Associate
I've put Metro with Raytracing all maxed out to give 60fps and VRAM temps never passed 94c-96c on the 3090. Fan never exceeded 65%. Only was allowed to play for 1 hour.
RDR2 4k maxed settings 86-96c on the 3090. Fan never exceeded 65%.

A good build with case and good air flow helps.

VRAM does run a bit hot with NVIDIA cards, but I have never seen 105c unless I set the fan manually to say 40% and game then the heat builds up. AMD cards have cooler VRAM, so a 6800XT might never pass 78c TJUNCTION.
You got a good one, run it and enjoy.

Unfortunately they are not all the same.

Back
Top Bottom