*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I was questioning whether that’s what the AP Mesh does if it’s wired.

Surely it’s just a normal AP.

It depends on configuration.

If it’s a UniFi AP then if it’s wired it will not mesh. If the ‘allow meshing’ checkbox is ticked it will mesh if it loses the wired connection but a wireless connection is available. I’m not aware of any other configuration options on most UniFi access points. The UAP-AC-SHD has a completely separate 2x2 wireless network that it can use for meshed back-haul if it’s not being used for the (never implemented) WIPS/WIDS functions.

Soldato
Hi all, hoping for a little guidance!

A family member has asked about improving the WiFi strength around her house. It's a large house so my first thought (with my limited knowledge) was a ubiquiti AP. I would have it sitting next to her router rather than elsewhere in the property. I've seen the LR AP for about 90 quid, would think be an easy option? My concern was regarding the POE element but from what I've read there is an adapter in the box which takes the ethernet and power and converts it into a POE cable, am I getting that right?

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Hi all, hoping for a little guidance!

A family member has asked about improving the WiFi strength around her house. It's a large house so my first thought (with my limited knowledge) was a ubiquiti AP. I would have it sitting next to her router rather than elsewhere in the property. I've seen the LR AP for about 90 quid, would think be an easy option? My concern was regarding the POE element but from what I've read there is an adapter in the box which takes the ethernet and power and converts it into a POE cable, am I getting that right?

Thanks in advance!

The whole point of the ubiquity system is to move them away from the router and have multiple access points across the property. Think of multiple hi-gain antennas rather than one antenna. Also sitting it next to the router will kill and ability to cast th signal any decent range ideally it should be placed in a central location on a ceiling away from all other electronics.

Soldato
The whole point of the ubiquity system is to move them away from the router and have multiple access points across the property. Think of multiple hi-gain antennas rather than one antenna. Also sitting it next to the router will kill and ability to cast th signal any decent range ideally it should be placed in a central location on a ceiling away from all other electronics.
Hi, thanks for the response. I was hoping that just by having a better access point it would give her the range she wants, would an entire replacement router be a better option in that regard? Assuming she doesn't want to locate an access point elsewhere that is

Soldato
Hi, thanks for the response. I was hoping that just by having a better access point it would give her the range she wants, would an entire replacement router be a better option in that regard? Assuming she doesn't want to locate an access point elsewhere that is
As with every AP/Router purchase location is key, if it way my decision educating her about correct placement of the existing router would probably solve more of the issue than buying new gear.

Soldato

Routers and access points have a legal maximum power output. Everyone pretty much transmits at the maximum power available. There is only so much you can do with physics at the end of the day. Putting a new access point in the same place will get a similar result.

Unifi APs (the disk versions) are designed to be mounted on a ceiling, putting it anywhere else could impact its performance.

I also wouldn’t put a ‘prosumer’ device in someone else’s house unless you also want to maintain in the long term.

If they are not interested in hardwiring access points to better locations, I’d set them up with a consumer friendly mesh set up and call it done. Explain the limitations but otherwise there isn’t much else you can do.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I've got an AP lite and am having an issue with the connection speed. If I connect my laptop to the AP it always connects at 2.4Ghz, even though 5Ghz is the preferred option in Windows. That aside, using speedtest.net I always seem to get between 15-35Mbps download (and full upload). If I connect directly to the router (Virgin SH3) then my speed shows ~250Mbps. Same issue with another laptop and our mobiles. I'm 99% sure then I was getting much better speeds when I first set up the AP and I'm not sure what's changed.

In any case, I've tried the following which result in negligible change in download speed:

Changed -
transmit power to medium/high
Channels to 1,6,11
C/W HT20

transmit power to medium/high
Channels to 36,40,44
C/W HT40/80

I also disabled 2.4Ghz on the AP to force a 5Ghz connection on my laptop which still had no noticeable increase.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I've missed something obvious....:o

Update: none of my devices seem to be connecting now :(

2nd update: somewhat fine now.....

Last edited:
Associate
I have joint the Ubiquiti family with a UDM-Pro, 8TB HDD, G4 Doorbell, G4 Bullet, USW-Lite-8-PoE and Unifi 6 Long Range. I did get the Unifi 6 lites, but sent them back.

So far I'm impressed. UDMP setup in PPPOE with BT Fibre (900 down 120 up), getting just over 800mbps on an iPhone mini on speedtest.net and googles speed test. Camera's open very fast. So far so good.

Soldato
I've had a go at setting up my UDM and using the FlexHD as a wireless mesh and to be honest I'm pretty disappointed. The FlexHD seems to have very limited range and the signal quality is being reported as about 25-35% on the wireless uplink which means the throughput isn't great. I've tried different channels and different locations and it just seems to really struggle as soon as there is any walls in between it and the UDM and the signal drops off very very quickly. Anything I might have missed trying, and no hardwiring is not an option.

Soldato
I've got an AP lite and am having an issue with the connection speed. If I connect my laptop to the AP it always connects at 2.4Ghz, even though 5Ghz is the preferred option in Windows. That aside, using speedtest.net I always seem to get between 15-35Mbps download (and full upload). If I connect directly to the router (Virgin SH3) then my speed shows ~250Mbps. Same issue with another laptop and our mobiles. I'm 99% sure then I was getting much better speeds when I first set up the AP and I'm not sure what's changed.
I also disabled 2.4Ghz on the AP to force a 5Ghz connection on my laptop which still had no noticeable increase.
Any thoughts? I'm thinking I've missed something obvious....:o

Have you set Band Steering to Prefer 5G on the AP within the UniFi controller? This will force capable clients to connect via 5GHz where possible.

Associate
My AC-Lite for some reason started making a high pitched frequency noise (Coil Whine?) when there's no traffic, and then as soon as traffic starts, say for example, speedtest, it starts to get louder and makes a noise that i can't really describe. Sort of sounds like a hard drive grinding/whirring.

Got in touch with Amazon and it's going back for a full refund. Just over 6 months old.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the Ubiquiti stuff if I'm honest.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I have one that is like that, made the noise from day one and just lived with it, but I do notice it and it's annoying - it's two years old now so not much I can do. Of course I realise it is a problem and should have done something about it.

edit - by chance went on to ui and requested an RMA with the original receipt which was approved. So just have to send back to Czech Republic which seems a bit of effort but might be worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
looking to upgrade everything to unifi very soon, im looking at a DMP + 8TB HDD ( seems a decent price for the HDD, anyone know what brand it is?)

2 G4 bullet cameras and an additional access point

if i get the DMP do i need a network video recorder?

Back
Top Bottom