• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 temperature concerns

Permabanned
You got a good one, run it and enjoy.

Unfortunately they are not all the same.

Okday, maybe have 3 x 120mm Fans blowing air into the case and have 1x 120mm fan exhausting air out of the case on the back of the case, that might help. Also, many of my builds use water cooled CPUs so the CPU does not exhaust hot air into the case that helps keep temps down during gaming. like the one below:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt-kraken-x73-rgb-aio-cpu-water-cooler-360mm-hs-01s-nx.html

Soldato
No disrespect to people, but if your savvy enough to be paying attention to vram temps, then you should be clued up enough to sort out adequate case cooling for a top of the line power hungry GPU.
I think all this vram temp 'issue' is blown out of proportion by people using a gaming card for mining, or not understanding how to setup a proper ventilated case.

Anyone know of any memory space invaders from fried/ cooked/ overheated/ (insert other daily mail headline) damaged vram? Anyone? (Honestly asking)

If you're GPU is memory throttling, then sort your case cooling out, or stop mining on a gaming card.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong :D And yes I'm fully aware changing the pads lowers temps.... But isn't that why this is a hobby?

My 3090 games at 70C 50% fans, 96C memory junction, with case fans running quietly to move air through, and an aio on the cpu. Is my 3090 a 'lucky' card or just bog standard like all the others ;)

Last edited:
Associate
No disrespect to people, but if your savvy enough to be paying attention to vram temps, then you should be clued up enough to sort out adequate case cooling for a top of the line power hungry GPU.
I think all this vram temp 'issues is blown out of proportion by people using a gaming card for mining, or not understanding how to setup a proper ventilated case.

Anyone know of any memory space invaders from fried/ cooked/ overheated/ (insert other daily mail headline) damaged vram? Anyone? (Honestly asking)

If you're GPU is memory throttling, then sort your case cooling out, or stop mining on a gaming card.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong :D And yes I'm fully aware changing the pads lowers temps.... But isn't that why this is a hobby?

My 3090 games at 70C 50% fans, 96C memory junction, with case fans running quietly to move air through, and an aio on the cpu. Is my 3090 a 'lucky' card or just bog standard like all the others ;)

That's look like normal 3090FE temps, I had similar temps apart from fans were slightly higher at 55 to 60% before pads changed.:D

Soldato
I think all this vram temp 'issue' is blown out of proportion by people using a gaming card for mining, or not understanding how to setup a proper ventilated case.

How dare you suggest people not complain about temperatures when mining on their not-for-mining cards! Its outrageous!

Associate
imagine coming to the forum where people cant get gfx cards just to cry about your card getting too hot while mining, sure to be lots of sympathetic shoulders to cry on around here

Associate
OP
It's a use case for a graphics card, it's nothing magic, it just does calculations really fast. If you aren't mining on your GPU you are literally losing money just having it sit there. I do primarily game on it but when I'm at work or asleep it mines.

Permabanned
It's a use case for a graphics card, it's nothing magic, it just does calculations really fast. If you aren't mining on your GPU you are literally losing money just having it sit there. I do primarily game on it but when I'm at work or asleep it mines.

GPUs used for crypto mining lose 10 per cent in performance every year

Cough, be killing your GPU performance and crying about the heat from frying the memory chips, we have been here before

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...10-per-cent-in-performance-every-year-3007597

Soldato

Cough, be killing your GPU performance and crying about the heat from frying the memory chips, we have been here before

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...10-per-cent-in-performance-every-year-3007597

Recent video from Linus showing this is simply not true. I don't mine much but I've been doing Folding@Home for more than a decade and while cards have died from time to time, they've never "degraded". They either work or they don't. A well looked after card will not be hurt by being used.

Permabanned
Recent video from Linus showing this is simply not true. I don't mine much but I've been doing Folding@Home for more than a decade and while cards have died from time to time, they've never "degraded". They either work or they don't. A well looked after card will not be hurt by being used.

It is simply true! Even AIBs have confirmed it."According to Palit, a GPU will lose about 10 percent of its total processing power for every year it’s used in a mining operation."Although, I think there is a cutoff point and time will tell.

How much was Linus paid by his sponsors to hide this?

Links

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/325337-crypto-mining-gpus-lose-10-performance-every-year

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/325337-crypto-mining-gpus-lose-10-performance-every-year

Last edited:
Soldato
It is simply true! Even AIBs have confirmed it. How much was Linus paid by his sponsors to hide this?

"According to Palit, a GPU will lose about 10 percent of its total processing power for every year it’s used in a mining operation."

So a video showing no change done by someone with no axe to grind is because he was paid by sponsors to lie, while a story with no evidence from a manufacturer is true? Or is my sarcasm detector not working?

Soldato
Really! The Shock!
Manufacturers don't want you buying second hand!
What... because they are looking after our interests. Hahaha.

Record sales in the gpu market, record demand, the ever looming possibility of a crypto crash flooding the market with used cards, taking away sales from the AIB's, my heart bleeds.

Yeah right, I'm a sucker.

Permabanned
Really! The Shock!
Manufacturers don't want you buying second hand!
What... because they are looking after our interests. Hahaha.

Record sales in the gpu market, record demand, the ever looming possibility of a crypto crash flooding the market with used cards, taking away sales from the AIB's, my heart bleeds.

Yeah right, I'm a sucker.

:cry: The real impact here is when miners attempt to liquidate their GPUs. People start getting the problems.

Permabanned
So a video showing no change done by someone with no axe to grind is because he was paid by sponsors to lie, while a story with no evidence from a manufacturer is true? Or is my sarcasm detector not working?

Well, in time, we will get the right answer.

But what I can tell you already is that mining would likely wear off the GPU Fans as they are running 80-100% 24hours a day in most cases, the VRAM is sitting there at very high temperatures! 24hours a day, the thermal paste on these cards often goes quicker and is often shot. These are just some of the verified impacts of the mining on GPUs.

Associate

Absolutely rubbish that is , they certainly don't lose 10% performance a year :rolleyes: I have been using my 3090 for both mining and gaming and it has lost 0% performance in the 10 months I've had it , in fact if anything it seem to have gained performance as i am either beating or matching my benchmark scores from when i 1st got the card. If mining really did kill them then i simply would not be beating my old scores and you would assume a degradation in performance but that is not the case . If you are not mining on your 3090 no problem but mine has paid for itself already and almost have enough to buy a second if i wanted..

As for temperature you can lower the temp of the vram by using good quality thermal pads ( Gelid ultimate ) or if you really want to push the boat out get a waterblock on it with active backplate and will never worry about temperatures again :D

Soldato
^ Agreed
I bought an ex mining gpu a few years ago, 1080Ti FTW3. Went round to the guys house to collect, and for 2 and half years the card was faultless, in fact it ran faster than a lot of 1080Ti cards, and cooler. It ran a mild overclock, and showed no signs of degradation when I sold it on, as it still boosted over 2Ghz.

Permabanned
Absolutely rubbish that is , they certainly don't lose 10% performance a year :rolleyes: I have been using my 3090 for both mining and gaming and it has lost 0% performance in the 10 months I've had it , in fact if anything it seem to have gained performance as i am either beating or matching my benchmark scores from when i 1st got the card. If mining really did kill them then i simply would not be beating my old scores and you would assume a degradation in performance but that is not the case . If you are not mining on your 3090 no problem but mine has paid for itself already and almost have enough to buy a second if i wanted..

As for temperature you can lower the temp of the vram by using good quality thermal pads ( Gelid ultimate ) or if you really want to push the boat out get a waterblock on it with active backplate and will never worry about temperatures again :D

You see, ignorance. The article says every 12 months, then you are coming here with 10months in. Sure there will be exceptions anyway. Glad to hear your cards are healthy, but....

The issue is that in seconds , you will get all the mining fan boys boasting how they mined for centuries on one card and now it runs 50% faster and cooler. All the people with degraded cards , with performance loss would just not post anything and just quietly sell their cards on the used marked to someone who does not know any wiser.

Never buy a used mining GPU, no warranty, likely performance issues, fan failure, thermal paste degragation, better off buying new from shops like OcUk

Last edited:
Associate
You see, ignorance. The article says every 12 months, then you are coming here with 10months in. Sure there will be exceptions anyway.

Yes because last time i checked the 30 series have been out for 12 months as of today :rolleyes: even in Linus video he says the 3080 was running for 10 months as they haven't been out for 12 months yet ... fear not i shall return in 2 months when performance is expected to drop off a cliff according to you or maybe my benchmarks will improve further as like a good engine this card is only just run in with its 24/7 mining :cry:

Associate
You see, ignorance. The article says every 12 months, then you are coming here with 10months in. Sure there will be exceptions anyway. Glad to hear your cards are healthy, but....

The issue is that in seconds , you will get all the mining fan boys boasting how they mined for centuries on one card and now it runs 50% faster and cooler. All the people with degraded cards , with performance loss would just not post anything and just quietly sell their cards on the used marked to someone who does not know any wiser.

Never buy a used mining GPU, no warranty, likely performance issues, fan failure, thermal paste degragation, better off buying new from shops like OcUk

Buying 2nd hand is always a risk but just because a card had been mined on doesn't make it any worse than a card that is used 24/7 for gaming , if anything i do believe anybody serious about mining will be looking after their GPU with decent cleaning, a good set of thermal pads / paste / undervolted and reducing core clocks.

I purchased a 1080ti Strix from Ebay last year when i built my PC and the guy specifically said it hasn't been mined on BUT all i had was his word to go on so for all i know it could have sat in a rig 24/7 but it turned up was in very good condition ( could see the pads were changed ) fitted it to my PC and never had any issues what so ever and for a 1080ti was putting in some impressive benchmark scores. No issue buying a used GPU for me

Permabanned
Buying 2nd hand is always a risk but just because a card had been mined on doesn't make it any worse than a card that is used 24/7 for gaming , if anything i do believe anybody serious about mining will be looking after their GPU with decent cleaning, a good set of thermal pads / paste / undervolted and reducing core clocks.

I purchased a 1080ti Strix from Ebay last year when i built my PC and the guy specifically said it hasn't been mined on BUT all i had was his word to go on so for all i know it could have sat in a rig 24/7 but it turned up was in very good condition ( could see the pads were changed ) fitted it to my PC and never had any issues what so ever and for a 1080ti was putting in some impressive benchmark scores. No issue buying a used GPU for me

I don’t get your post, the seller already told you he did not mine on the card, maybe they were honest.

Listen, most Miners overclock GPUs 24hours of the day, most will overclock it to squeeze every bit of MH from the card and only do the thermal pads because the card's VRAM is getting fried, hot! The card begins to throttle so they put the pads to reduce temps for stable MH. The miners end goal is to dump the card on the used market after the deed has been done.

Back
Top Bottom