TV above fireplace with 5.1 OR TV offset from fire with soundbar? Pics and dims inside

Soldato
Hi all, I previously posted a thread in home and garden with not much response, was hoping for more from an AV perspective

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...s-requirements-and-pics-of-proposal.18931963/

Im thinking primarily about two options:
  • Option 1: TV offset from fireplace with soundbar (would probably need to be an electric fire for this but could possibly be a gas balanced flue unit)
  • Option 2: centred TV unit, 5.1 speakers (denon x2300, tannoy eclipse 3 set, BK XLS400)
Ive looked at gas fires but it looks like due to me wanting the tv at eye level I may need to go to a lower output electric fire

Option 1 example pictures and dimensions below (i wouldnt use the same faux brick materials but gives an idea. I like the idea of AVR at side of unit.)

iKov6Co.jpg

IBEevoI.jpg

Option 2 example and dimensioned proposal (for my room)
6ZEUrYo.jpg
I really like the above example, probably my favourite in terms of materials.

AU57k7J.jpg

xqNtgDy.jpg

Pictures of my room (there's another window opposite the fireplace)
aVige3C.jpg

Floorplan (this is the "drawing" room)
05850Ov.jpg

Would be great to hear from @lucid for your thoughts

QUESTIONS;
  • Has anyone gone from 5.1 seperate system to soundbar? I'm currently using a yamaha YSP2700 and that seems very good (not as good for "rear" sound replication I find)
  • Do people see the technology changing that would impact building of a tv unit (e.g 10 years ago people would size these for a 42" TV...). You see some people make tiny recesses for dvd players etc but I would be trying to "future proof" this for massive consoles e.g. My xbox series X :cry:
  • Would having a gas fireplace (say 4kW output) approx 400mm below the tv impact the life of the tv. Are OLED tvs more impacted by heat? (my intention was to buy a 65" oled and use my 55" Samsung ks7000tv in another room.
  • Would having a center speaker built into the top of the unit above the TV as per my example above be worse than having the centre speaker below the TV
  • One option I'm considering is going for option 2 with soundbar in the front, and use my seperate 5.1 system in the "living room" (see floorplan above). Only problem here is I won't easily be able to get rear speakers in easily. Is there any options for wireless rear speakers here? Unfortunately as the extensions already been built I can't easily get ceiling speakers in here

• If I chased speaker cables into the wall and had a seperate box on the wall both sides (for the wiring to connect) is that likely to significantly impact the quality of sound connection (noting my setup isn't super high end anyways)
  • Do people see seperate AV units being replaced in future by soundbars? It seems like the gap is now closing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Paging @Abyss for the cabling side of things!

Regarding the overall unit I am not qualified to even pose an opinion. I'd just be careful on following the in vogue above fireplace/entertainment unit thing. My next door neighbor has a similar thing built in the 80s and it aged super quickly but was too much of an investment/faff to remove.

Soldato
OP
How important is the fireplace to you your wife? Is there an option that includes getting rid of it and having an ideal AV starting position?

Id quite like to have a fireplace also :D.

My preferred choice is gas also (for decent heat and look better) but this appears to be at odds with wanting a nice TV (I've been told, and welcome any contrasting points that it would "fry" the electrics over time)

The problem is that theres almost "too many" options I find so indecision can get in the way.

I don't want it to look like purely an AV room but if it could have the good TV /sound elements also that'd be great.

Soldato
OP
Too high, enjoy your neckache if you put a TV in that spot.
Have you even looked at the dimensions to the tv? What would you say is best height for a TV then?

I also want to balance it with having a dog, possibly future kids so I'd for sure rather have slightly higher than lower :D

Edit: if you mean the yellow tape in the picture, that's for if it was a tv above a certain type of gas fire. And agreed that would be too high

Soldato
3rd option, get a fireplace but then a TV stand that sits above the fire (assuming structural safe for your fire etc). However, you can get pull down ones that when you aren't just casually watching, you can get at proper height. We did this in our holiday home.

This kind of thing but made to look nice

f82ed1f4-e39a-4dba-b67d-3cae36ccf2de_500_500.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fair enough.

I went through the same, kept my fireplace because it's in keeping with the old cottage. Whilst it's less than ideal having the TV up higher, it's not as bad as many would have you believe (unless you have it right up high i'm sure).

TV above mantelpiece or not?

Yep thanks, I think my preference is more modern (even if it is an 1940s house....) p.s. The ugly upvc windows are getting changed!

3rd option, get a fireplace but then a TV stand that sits above the fire (assuming structural safe for your fire etc). However, you can get pull down ones that when you aren't just casually watching, you can get at proper height. We did this in our holiday home.

This kind of thing but made to look nice

f82ed1f4-e39a-4dba-b67d-3cae36ccf2de_500_500.jpg
Yep that's a potential choice but Id rather offset my tv in the corner (near the window) rather than have one of these - this would be at the expense of proper 5.1. Thanks for your input regardless!

Soldato
I'd put it in the living room, that looks like the room that will be used the most as a family hence higher tv usage.

Or is the drawing room more of a man cave type thing for you? If so does it need a fire as it looks quite snug.

Soldato
OP
I'd put it in the living room, that looks like the room that will be used the most as a family hence higher tv usage.

Or is the drawing room more of a man cave type thing for you? If so does it need a fire as it looks quite snug.

As in put the 5.1 system in there? Yep that's what I'm leaning towards (although need to work out if I can get wireless rears... Or just go 3.1 system...)

Went to a fireplace showroom and the decent looking electric fire on show was £3k! For that money id rather wood burner or gas (and make the TV in that room a secondary item)

The room doesn't "need" a fireplace but it seems a shame not to have one (it's 3 external walls with an uninsulated cavity so might feel generally a bit cold)

Soldato
As in put the 5.1 system in there? Yep that's what I'm leaning towards (although need to work out if I can get wireless rears... Or just go 3.1 system...)

Went to a fireplace showroom and the decent looking electric fire on show was £3k! For that money id rather wood burner or gas (and make the TV in that room a secondary item)

The room doesn't "need" a fireplace but it seems a shame not to have one (it's 3 external walls with an uninsulated cavity so might feel generally a bit cold)

We had a traditional fireplace and NEVER used it.

Electric one in my friends house gets used every day at the click of a button.. so although I am totally or was totally in your train of thought... after seeing how easy an electric works, I can see why people go for them.

I am planning to get one of the steam ones. Saw the 'flames' in store and it looks incredible. Literal heat/condensation on the window from the 'fire'. Found it better than the LED screen ones.

Soldato
OP
After having a look in a couple shops im not really impressed with the electric fires and think there's likelyhood the "media centre" type build will look dated very quickly.

Think I'm going to go with a central gas fire in my "drawing room" a similar one in my study then have a larger TV /speaker element in my open plan kitchen/living room

Back
Top Bottom