• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Soldato
They either don't have the same supply dramas as Nvidia and AMD, in which case why trash your margin if you have the only readily available product on the market...or they have the same supply issues given its not in house manufacturing and there is no point dropping the price because there is nothing to actually sell.

Basically, I'm not holding my breath.

Man of Honour
They either don't have the same supply dramas as Nvidia and AMD, in which case why trash your margin if you have the only readily available product on the market...

If Intel don't have the same supply issues as nvidia and AMD and could produce and distribute significant quantities at a normal cost, they wouldn't be trashing their margins. They would be selling at a normal margin rather than exploiting an opportunity to vastly inflate their margin.

Since Intel is trying to enter a new (to them) market that is currently a duopoly and apparently intends to remain in that market and become a major player in it, it could reasonably be argued to be a more profitable approach for two reasons.

Firstly, it might well be more profitable even in the short term by increasing the number of sales. In this scenario Intel are still making their usual profit per sale. If Intel could sell a product comparable with some of the duopoly products and sell it for a much lower price than the comparable duopoly products and be able to meet demand (which the duopoly can't do), Intel would have a lot of sales and make a lot of profit. There are plenty of customers who are potentially in the market for a new graphics card and won't pay the currently hugely inflated prices. People who in normal circumstances would have already bought a new card. So the market for new graphics cards is effectively larger than it normally is. A backlog of sorts. In this scenario, Intel would be getting all those extra sales in addition to the sales that would normally come with having a comparable product at a lower price and actually in stock.

Secondly, it might well be more profitable in the longer term because it would establish Intel in the dGPU market in a very big way. Entering a market from nothing and immediately gaining a very large market share and vast amounts of extremely positive publicity at no cost to Intel and without needing a high end product or a halo product or even a superior product at the budget or midrange. That's a rare opportunity. It would be worth taking.

or they have the same supply issues given its not in house manufacturing and there is no point dropping the price because there is nothing to actually sell.

I think that's more likely to be what happens.

Basically, I'm not holding my breath.

Me neither. I'm on the fence about it.

Associate
I’m not optimistic that Intel will be able to just jump into a new market and be able to compete with Nvidia or AMD. Anything that increases competition is good for everyone though so good luck to them.

Soldato
I’m not optimistic that Intel will be able to just jump into a new market and be able to compete with Nvidia or AMD. Anything that increases competition is good for everyone though so good luck to them.

But if AMD / Nvidia are actually overcharging like many claim then wont intel just be able to undercut them and show them up

Associate
But if AMD / Nvidia are actually overcharging like many claim then wont intel just be able to undercut them and show them up
The rumours are that they won't compete at the highest end, at least right away. But might compete at the mod range. So if they can deliver 3060/Ti performance but at a decent price that's a good start. Either way having a 3 way battle Vs 2 way SHOULD be better for us!

Associate
Intel have got a really good chance here to enter the gpu market confidently and competitively. I just hope they don't mess up! I believe their cards will only compete with midrange ampere and rdna 2 cards and given that rdna 3 and Lovelace are set to release later that year, Intel are probably going to target the midrange market. I think they could be very successful with good prices, fingers crossed!

Soldato
Pat Gelsinger seems to be hyped and super confident about Intel's upcoming graphics cards. Also he has indicated that Intel will show off its GPU performance numbers this week

Pat Gelsinger said:
There will be updates later this week for performance numbers for our GPU's... they are now very competitive.

We'll start knocking nvidia off the perch that they've been sitting on for way too long, because we've given them way too big of a gap in the leadership space.

https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.ne...0817/NSR+-+Intel+CEO+CFO+Unplugged+replay.mp4

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be nice if Intel managed to shake up the market at the midrange but AMD never managed it. All those times when AMD were competitive and cheaper went unnoticed.

Nvidia's market share remained around 80%.

I've come to the conclusion that 80% of gamers don't care about it being cheap and competitive.

I'm sure things will be different this gen because there's a serious shortage of competing product. So gamers will be forced into buying an Intel GPU. But once Lovelace comes out, the shortage will be over and it will be business as usual.

My prediction over the next 5 years is

Nvidia 66% market share
AMD 22% market share
Intel 12% market share

Then Intel will give up because they didn't sell enough.

I'd love to be wrong because we need competition so I'll probably be buying an Intel GPU next year if it's priced right.

Soldato
My prediction over the next 5 years is

Nvidia 66% market share
AMD 22% market share
Intel 12% market share

Then Intel will give up because they didn't sell enough.

I'd love to be wrong because we need competition so I'll probably be buying an Intel GPU next year if it's priced right.
Intel is already no1 in graphic chip market share in the PC market. More people use intel graphics then NVidia. If we look at the entire PC market its more like for graphics

Intel 69%
Nivida 17%
AMD 15%

Intel is already eating away at Nvidia market share Intel in Q4, 2019 at 63%, Q3, 2020 62% and Q4 2020, 69%. This will only increase once Arc comes out I expect.

On top of that Intel have brought out all remaining TSMC 3nm production for GPU use which will give them a major advantage. I don't think its going to be a problem that Intel will give up due to not selling enough. They already sell enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel is already no1 in graphic chip market share in the PC market. More people use intel graphics then NVidia. If we look at the entire PC market its more like for graphics

Intel 69%
Nivida 17%
AMD 15%

Intel is already eating away at Nvidia market share Intel in Q4, 2019 at 63%, Q3, 2020 62% and Q4 2020, 69%. This will only increase once Arc comes out I expect.

On top of that Intel have brought out all remaining TSMC 3nm production for GPU use which will give them a major advantage. I don't think its going to be a problem that Intel will give up due to not selling enough. They already sell enough.

Yeah but that's because the GPU comes free with the CPU. It's not a graphics card. They didn't choose Intel because of the graphics. Yes the F series is a little bit cheaper but when people buy an off the shelf PC or laptop, it's normal Intel.

You're including office computers in those statistics as well. It's meaningless.

It's like saying 100% of Windows users have Edge or IE. It means nothing. It's not an achievement because it came bundled in. If Edge/IE became a separate program that you had to buy, it would disappear into obscurity.

The same with intel. Do you honestly think that 69% will buy a discreet Intel graphics card???

Soldato
Pat Gelsinger seems to be hyped and super confident about Intel's upcoming graphics cards. Also he has indicated that Intel will show off its GPU performance numbers this week

https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.ne...0817/NSR+-+Intel+CEO+CFO+Unplugged+replay.mp4
That's fighting talk :cry:. It will be great news if it turns out to be accurate. Given Raja is in charge I have worries it will be another Vega, but I think I'm being unfair because how much of that was really his fault? It's difficult to know.

Soldato
AMD will be pushed out. Intel and Nvidia have way, way more fanboys.

I don't think it works that way.

As an example, there's millions upon millions of Sony fans but hardly anyone is buying Sony batteries. Duracell and Eveready remain untouched.

Intel graphics cards could be as impressive as you like but Nvidia will remain on top.

I'd be surprised if Intel's market share ever beats AMD. I'm talking about physical graphics card sales that people buy and fit.

Intel are in a good position with laptops and pre-builts with Dell etc and could win there. But I'm talking about physical graphics card sales where the end user is free to make their own decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom