GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I share the same thoughts. Not sold on looks yet, couldn't believe its longer and lower - looks squashed lengthways to me.

Like the improved door cup holder (too narrow atm), central storage area being now covered and infotainment!

Do not like removal of coin area, too many buttons in the steering wheel and the huge turbine-esque vents.

Hope the middle cup holders are removable.

Overall inside is on a par with before. No way it rivals German interiors.

Engine sound wasn't great.

Overall looks like an improvement and could see myself upgrading to one 2-3 years after release if sub £20k by then.

Soldato
The engine sound in the cabin sounds fake. Not even a physical pipe from the intake like on the old one but digital fake. Which never sounds great.

Disable that crap and fit a proper exhaust with UEL manifold.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm counting down but 18 months and my leon is going, leaning heavily towards the GT86, my theory is they may drop in price with the GR86 coming

How has any one here found the GT86 as a daily? It would be the only car, only has to fit myself and son in when I have him

Soldato
How has any one here found the GT86 as a daily? It would be the only car, only has to fit myself and son in when I have him

Absolutely fine. That was the attraction when I first bought it; a fun toy at the weekends, but I still drove it to work and back every day on a fair length commute (50 mile round trip) in all weathers.
Obviously it's not the last word in comfort or refinement, but there's no issue using it every day, unless you need to use the back seats regularly. Car averages around 34MPG, even after modification.

I haven't needed to commute by car for about 4 years now, but still use the car on an almost daily basis. Shops, gym, etc, and still semi regularly do a 100 mile or so motorway jaunt with 2 dogs in the back. There's are much better cars to serve as an everyday workhorse, but there's nothing particularly exotic about the GT86 which stops it from being used as such - as long as you don't need regular use of decent back seats.

Soldato
Absolutely fine. That was the attraction when I first bought it; a fun toy at the weekends, but I still drove it to work and back every day on a fair length commute (50 mile round trip) in all weathers.
Obviously it's not the last word in comfort or refinement, but there's no issue using it every day, unless you need to use the back seats regularly. Car averages around 34MPG, even after modification.

I haven't needed to commute by car for about 4 years now, but still use the car on an almost daily basis. Shops, gym, etc, and still semi regularly do a 100 mile or so motorway jaunt with 2 dogs in the back. There's are much better cars to serve as an everyday workhorse, but there's nothing particularly exotic about the GT86 which stops it from being used as such - as long as you don't need regular use of decent back seats.
Thanks, my only concern currently which makes me think I shouldnt is that whilst I wouldn't use em (back seats or boot) on regular days when I have my son he would want to bring his bike etc which stuff like that easily fits in a Leon.

A gt86 wouldn't make that as easy or me taking him to seaside etc for a weekend.

Of course should I meet any one else they may or may not have kids if they do a gt86 space wise would be an issue again.

Yet I'd love one :(

Soldato
Thanks, my only concern currently which makes me think I shouldnt is that whilst I wouldn't use em (back seats or boot) on regular days when I have my son he would want to bring his bike etc which stuff like that easily fits in a Leon.

A gt86 wouldn't make that as easy or me taking him to seaside etc for a weekend.

Of course should I meet any one else they may or may not have kids if they do a gt86 space wise would be an issue again.

Yet I'd love one :(

With the rear seats folder, there is a surprising amount of room. I've seen numerous photos of people who's managed to fit full size bikes in with just the front wheel removed. Can fit a full size set of wheels and tyres for track days in there.
Biggest obstacle might be the boot aperture. Grant it will never be as easy as a hatchback, but it might not be impossible.

Soldato
One thing that's puzzled me with reviews of this is it being critised for being slow? It's 200bhp how is that slow?

Do they mean slow off the line compared to a hatchback with a small turbo perhaps.

I mean a gt86 isn't a super car so I don't get that being a bad point I'm a review.

Soldato
It's moderate I'd say. They handle very well and are loads of fun to drift around at low speed, but I never found the throttle response all that good and it lacked some liveliness to it. But for a daily it's fine tbh (I used mine daily for 4 years), as a weekend car it needs something more.

I swapped mine for an Elise and that felt really fast in comparison mostly because of how responsive it is, not the power.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing that's puzzled me with reviews of this is it being critised for being slow? It's 200bhp how is that slow?

Do they mean slow off the line compared to a hatchback with a small turbo perhaps.

I mean a gt86 isn't a super car so I don't get that being a bad point I'm a review.

The torque delivery of the car out of the factory is poor. There is a big dip in the torque output right in the midrange, about 3500-4500RPM, and peak torque was only reached at something like 6600RPM, just before redline. The result is that the car feels much slower than other cars with similar horsepower figures, especially off the line. You accelerate and just when you're expecting the car to get into it's stride, it just goes flat, then picks up again later. It needs to be revved hard to get the most out of it; but it doesn't sound that great when you do.

It's fairly easy to solve the problem - a decent aftermarket exhaust manifold and some time with a competent tuner is all that's required to get rid of the torque dip and it makes it a much nice and more flexible car to drive. I did that because despite that issue, I still loved everything else about the car. But I appreciate that modifying isn't for everyone.

That's why the new model is getting such a decent reception (so far). The torque dip appears to be gone, and the peak torque is now at 3700RPM. So even though it's still fairly modestly powered, it has more oomph in the midrange.

Soldato
I currently have Michelin PS4 215/45Y R17 with 18k miles on them and under 3mm left on them. Before that the car still had Primacy tyres.

Kwik Fit are offering 15% off 4 Michelin PS4 + free speakers. https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/michelin-wireless-speaker-offer

Cost incl. fitting, balancing and disposal after discount = £397.

Halfords are offering 15% off a few brands including Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. https://www.halfords.com/deals-and-events/tyre-multi-buy-offer.html

Cost incl. fitting, balancing and disposal after discount = £334.

Any reason not to go for the Eagles?

Man of Honour
I currently have Michelin PS4 215/45Y R17 with 18k miles on them and under 3mm left on them. Before that the car still had Primacy tyres.

Kwik Fit are offering 15% off 4 Michelin PS4 + free speakers. https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/michelin-wireless-speaker-offer

Halfords are offering 15% off a few brands including Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. https://www.halfords.com/deals-and-events/tyre-multi-buy-offer.html

I have the F1 AS5s and they are an excellent tyre. One of the best I’ve owned. Incredibly grippy in all conditions. I have a modded SLK55, so not exactly lacking in power to put down.

Last edited:
Soldato

I don't think so. I currently have Eagle F1AS3s, which are about 4 years old and 3mm left, so I am thinking about replacement soon. I was going to choose what seems to be the go-to tyre as a replacement - the Michelin Pilot Sport. BUT...in 17", you can't get the PS4S....only the PS4.

I watched a video on TyreReviews.com which compared the Goodyear F1AS5 and the Michelin PS4 (note, not the PS4S) which suggested that the Goodyear was actually the slightly better tyre dynamically. And I've seen a similar opinion posted on here fairly recently.

So in 17", where only the PS4 (not the PS4S) is available it seems a no brainer to go for the Goodyear, especially as they are considerably cheaper.

EDIT: in fact, thanks for the heads up. Just realised that this offer also applies to TyresOnTheDrive now that they're owned by Halfords, so just ordered myself a new set to be fitted at home when I'm off next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom