• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Is it just me or are the FE cards quite loud. Not the fans, they seem quite quiet but the GPU itself makes a different noise when under load as soon as you start gaming.

Cap squeal and coil whine, varies from card to card. You have to stick your head in my case to hear mine but my friend's is audible.

Soldato
Is it just me or are the FE cards quite loud. Not the fans, they seem quite quiet but the GPU itself makes a different noise when under load as soon as you start gaming.
I had an msi 980 ti gaming 6g before and i dont remember it being noisy at all really

its considered normal but varies from card to card , On my 3080 FE I could hear it over the case and GPU fans quite clearly and the pitch changes I tried under volting only slightly improved it also capped the FPS I've had cards in the past with coil whine but with case fans and gpu fans it would drown it out didnt bother me but this is far the worst I've experienced I contacted the retailer and had it picked up really hope they dont say its normal and dont offer replacement I plan to keep the card for good few years so dont want to be living with that its just annoying and I can imagine how noticeably worse it would be if had water block on it

Soldato
What are these for?

I swapped the pads on the 3080 yesterday, back in the UK for 2 days so figured I'd swap them while the missus was out.
The stock Nvidia pads appear to be made from white tac and dog hair, they're beyond sub-par for the job, way was sub...

tbh I was a bit tired when I did it as been running around all day, but even with a quick pad swap I've knocked 18oC off of the memory temp as recorded by GPU-Z, GPU temp is still where it was (mid 50's), that's with a power cap of 65%, -500 on the core and +1000 on the ram, with that it was hitting 106oC on the RAM while I was away, now its running cooler I'll leave it as it is until I'm back from Greenland when I have a few days off before going back into the office so I'll see how far it wants to stretch its legs and how lucky I've been on the silicon lottery...

Soldato
its considered normal but varies from card to card , On my 3080 FE I could hear it over the case and GPU fans quite clearly and the pitch changes I tried under volting only slightly improved it also capped the FPS I've had cards in the past with coil whine but with case fans and gpu fans it would drown it out didnt bother me but this is far the worst I've experienced I contacted the retailer and had it picked up really hope they dont say its normal and dont offer replacement I plan to keep the card for good few years so dont want to be living with that its just annoying and I can imagine how noticeably worse it would be if had water block on it

Will be interesting to see what they do, i didnt think of sending it back because i thought it must be just how they are these days.
The only good thing is that my one is not a high pitched squeal, its hard to describe but its not the most annoying type noise, its high pitch i cant stand

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I swapped the pads on the 3080 yesterday, back in the UK for 2 days so figured I'd swap them while the missus was out.
The stock Nvidia pads appear to be made from white tac and dog hair, they're beyond sub-par for the job, way was sub...

Correct, I posted same when I done my 3090, we all know in factory they dont take much care on application as well. I could see many units where the pad was off centre or misses the chip its meant to contact.

Soldato
Correct, I posted same when I done my 3090, we all know in factory they dont take much care on application as well. I could see many units where the pad was off centre or misses the chip its meant to contact.

tbh this is my first venture into FE cards, I would have expected better given the attention put into things like the funky PCB shape and hefty cooler, a few extra quid on a card for decent thermal goop and pads wouldn't have been an issue..

Associate
tbh this is my first venture into FE cards, I would have expected better given the attention put into things like the funky PCB shape and hefty cooler, a few extra quid on a card for decent thermal goop and pads wouldn't have been an issue..
Replaced mine a few weeks ago. My god, those stock white thermal pads are so soft and break easily. Who the heck at Nvidia ordered those… crazy.

Soldato

This isn’t really unique to founders cards and is representative of almost all mass manufacturing operations. 50p saving across hundreds of thousands of units is a lot of profit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Still would be nice if they shared a statement or page explaining that its good enough for the job from their testing, because people that check them out once released to the market will be wanting info on why many people assess these to be inferior quality.

All they need to say is they are fit for purpose, nothing to worry about and will honour the warranty over the lifespan. From my scanning on it ages back there was nothing to cover it, and the shills/reviewers probably been told not to mention it.

Soldato
This isn’t really unique to founders cards and is representative of almost all mass manufacturing operations. 50p saving across hundreds of thousands of units is a lot of profit.

I'd pay £649.50 MSRP for a 3080 with better pads already in. Profit margin stays the same and I get a better card.

Associate
I've not noticed any coil whine on my 3090FE. Guess I'm pretty lucky there.

I switched to airflow case last week, did pads change and spent time adjusting all fans rpm for less noise.

However, I do noticed coil whine on my 3090 when playing high fps games now:eek::(, one way to cancel it out is to set higher cpu fans speed while underload:D

Man of Honour
Think I mentioned it before - no coil whine at all on my 3070FE under Windows 7 - but some small instances of it when booted to Windows 10 for some reason - even playing CP2077 with same settings on both installs I will occasionally get coil whine with it on 10 but not 7. Not really sure what is going on there.

Do occasionally get the fans ramping up though my case cooling isn't optimal for the airflow of these FE cards and I can't be bothered to redo it. However that is mostly older games - not necessarily just linked to high frame rate due to more primitive graphics.

Associate
Mine had no coil whine until I used compucleaner to dust out the fans. Now it has annoying loud coil whine, not really bearable at full load.
Going to try taking it out of the case tomorrow, if I cant fix it may have to RMA!

Back
Top Bottom