Road Cycling

Soldato
I run a 52-36 on my road bike and big 58 Oval on my TT and generally grind away at 80 or lower cadence, but actually really like the 30-46 up front on my gravel bike. Rarely feel like I need more gears on it.

I'm not too sure what my cadence is as I don't have something to measure it but looking at a bike calculator I must sit between 70-80 on a typical ride.

I'm just excited to start climbing hills with the assistance of gears. 48x17 is only ~75 gear inches so it's not even a massive gear compared to the higher gears on a road bike but it becomes unpleasant fast when you have to mash away out of the saddle. If nothing else I'm telling myself that the last 18 months on a fixie has been me earning my bones, so to speak, for when I transition to a proper bike. If this hasn't helped my strength and stamina and I don't smash my strava targets, I'll be fuming :p

Soldato
This is the benefit of being a new cyclist, virtually every ride is a new achievement/PB :D
I haven't been able to beat some for some time now. With my friends my PBs were often towards the top, if not the top. They went on a ride the other day without me and I saw they toppled some of my records and it's left me a bit annoyed as I know with the right gear, I'd crush them

I swear I'm not competitive.

Associate
I have an annoying noise in the top 4 gears of my new Giant Defy Advanced 2 I would like a second opinion on. I think it is the chain contacting the front derailleur. I can't see it touching off the bike in those gears but it is very close. I also can't replicate the noise in the stand. Hopefully the link works

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkUPc9gNniVqg_E97haFWPhK0jrizg

edit: turn your mic down a bit first :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just mindful of the recovery and my need to hit ~30 mile running each week this week and next. Then September i've a 30ish mile race at the end. Then come October i can give longer rides a bit more thought.
Mixing two different sports together, certainly two like running and cycling, then recovery will be quite key. Although one thing I do see runner friends doing is using cycling for 'active recovery' type rides rather than doing 'recovery runs'. Cycling is low impact and good to spin/stretch out some of those muscles/bones damaged/stressed by running. Some of the best cyclists around me are ex-runners who got injured or grew to love cycling more!

Hmm interesting video. I was curious last night how my cycling speed compared to "average". My 2 rides so far have been around the 12.5mph area. I was curious how it might change if i switched to the 32mm road tyres i was given with the bike vs the 38mm gravel tyres given i'm realising i'm likely to spend most of my time on the roads. The 32mm width should still give decent grip i'd have thought.

Came across this video, so think i'm going to switch over and see what the real world impact is for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrL7yHPMqo&ab_channel=GCNTech
You'll find the road tyres faster on the road, but think you already knew that. What are the gravel tyres? Obviously depending on how 'fast' they are and the type of grip will determine just how much faster.

But realistically, at those speeds it won't be a massive difference, but they'll likely feel loads faster to you! 32mm road tyres do give good grip. I've been using them in winter the last couple of years and ended up liking 32mm so much continued using them through the summer the last 2!

You’ll get significantly faster quite quickly just by riding. That’s not to say don’t switch tyres, just don’t be surprised when you’re quicker next time out, and the time after that, and the time after that, regardless of setup etc.

I would honestly say the best way you can spend your time and money at the moment is just to ride it a load while we’ve still got the weather and stop worrying so much about setup etc.
Totally, really good sound advice and something I'd back up.

Any new riders, or changes in equipment, you need to get the miles in to really 'see' the difference. If you're a new rider the differences will be more pronounced as they'll likely also give you more confidence. The rapid increases in speed and fitness you get in those early months/years just from riding is quite incredible. Do get quite jealous sometimes seeing some of the massive differences!

Back on the trainer again after a 5weeks ish off recovering from Outlaw.... Ramp test on trainer road down 6% FTP and it hurt so bad :)

Struggling to get back into training though have to say, very little motivation.
Big break but well deserved! Set some smaller goals and targets just to get those legs going again. Doesn't have to be anything massive but will help with motivation and just getting back out there! :)

Also a slight win, i seem to have sold the spare front wheel, old cassette and toolkit with broken chain tool so that's re-couped a decent chunk of cash.
Result!

Went for a short 25 mile ride yesterday with a few hills. I'm getting quite good at climbing (comparatively speaking, not a patch on most of you) compared to my recent efforts and I managed to beat some of my friends with road bikes up the hills...
Good work and as you've probably figured out - all the fixie riding has given you quite a bit of torque - excellent for climbing, especially when cadence starts to dip down. You likely just need to work some of the faster twitch muscles to get their endurance at higher cadences and you'll not fatigue your legs as much.

I swear I'm not competitive.
I'm sure everyone has said that at some point...! ;)
I have an annoying noise in the top 4 gears of my new Giant Defy Advanced 2 I would like a second opinion on. I think it is the chain contacting the front derailleur. I can't see it touching off the bike in those gears but it is very close. I also can't replicate the noise in the stand. Hopefully the link works

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkUPc9gNniVqg_E97haFWPhK0jrizg

edit: turn your mic down a bit first :o
Yup sounds like the chain on FD. Likely some frame/BB flex when under load is the cause, you'll probably find the noise happens more when you're pushing harder through the drive side pedal stroke?

FD just needs a slight angle tweak, or the limit screw adjusting out slightly to allow for it and stop the rub. But first thing would be confirming you're not using the levers trim setting while on the upper end of the cassette.

Soldato
Saw the bar mounts for watches and the Garmin one even coming in cheaper than other non-branded. Pretty much a no brainer! I do know some Tri riders who have both a head unit and a watch on their bars. I would assume watch for metrics and head unit for additional + mapping.

Got the Garmin mount today, fits my watch brilliantly, it snaps in securely and is quick to use with the quick release straps, looking forward to trying it out. I also noticed that you can get a mount to stick on the back of a phone case which connects into the Garmin mount. I know i wasn't planning on using my phone, but for the sake of a £4 bracket on an old phone case it makes sense to give it a try.

What's the best route planning app that people use? I was initially thinking Strava. As long as i don't save the Strava activity and cause a duplicate i should be fine, but is there a better option i should consider?

Soldato
@Roady - Once I get my road bike I'm really tempted to put my fixie in a lower gear, something like 48x18 maybe even 48x19.

Would be annoying on the flats if I'm trying to get speed up and down hill but it will get my legs used to spinning at a decent cadence.

I have since raised another cycle-to-work order with work which has been approved. Ultegra SPDs, some cycling shoes, a new helmet and a few jerseys and bib shorts.

Usually in the colder months I only cycle to commute to work and back. Now I'm going to, hopefully, be spending a decent amount of money on my first road bike I need to justify it but actually going out in the colder weather - what are some essential must haves for cycling in the cold? I guess gloves and overshoes are a given but anything else? I've been old to get a gilet so that's added to the list.

I need to have no excuses remaining so that I get out on it

edit: @Martynt74 - I like Komoot to plan some rides out. No idea if it's the best though

Associate
@Martynt74 I used Strava for planing routes, but i am doing a sponsored ride next month between churchs around Suffolk and found it wasn't doing a great job of linking them togerther on the route. I gave Komoot a go on recomdation for a few others and i was able to click on each church and add as an waypoint and its auto route worked really well and i didnt need to make any changes.

The bike computer connects to Strava and Komoot and will download the routes automatically.

Soldato
Sounds good. I've used Komoot occasionally. One thing i do like about Strava is that i can just tell it to create a route for X distance and choose hilly/flat, road/dirt trails and it can create something for me off the cuff. It works great for running and then i always link it to my Garmin for routing on runs.

Just wasn't sure which would be better through an actual App during the activity. Guess the only way to know for sure is trial and error. If only Garmin allowed you to use their app for recording activities and then use my watch for data readings etc i'd be on a winner!

Soldato
Got the Garmin mount today, fits my watch brilliantly, it snaps in securely and is quick to use with the quick release straps, looking forward to trying it out. I also noticed that you can get a mount to stick on the back of a phone case which connects into the Garmin mount. I know i wasn't planning on using my phone, but for the sake of a £4 bracket on an old phone case it makes sense to give it a try.

What's the best route planning app that people use? I was initially thinking Strava. As long as i don't save the Strava activity and cause a duplicate i should be fine, but is there a better option i should consider?
Strava is the obvious, don't worry too much about duplicating activities, you can always delete them. I do it at the moment when dual recording turbo rides rather than turning sync off - as I'd then forget it for my outside rides lol

But there are pure mapping apps out there. Googlemaps itself might be an easy one. I've used it when riding and getting 'lost' or when trying to find a cut through somewhere. Unsure if you can pre-plan rides with it though. I've tended to use www.ridewithgps.com for route planning but I also have friends who upload rides to it using it as a replacement of Garmin/Strava. The fact my ELEMNT routes me from RWGPS map turn data, I guess their app itself would be the logical place I would also suggest starting/trying out.

For mounting a phone I've nearly always used Quadlock. They're expensive but very good. I've got one on each bike and every time I change my phone I just buy a new case for it to clip in, fairly inexpensive that way once you have the mounts. I use the one on the turbo every time, the one on the outside bike gets used very infrequently and more for checking texts when on a long ride than anything else. Pro-tip - hunt down second hand and buy one with a rubbish case for an obsolete phone, then buy the genuine case for your phone from from Quadlock. People seem to sell them complete so you can find them for £10-15 hunting around and most cases £20 or so new direct from QL themselves. Although looks like they do the mount itself now for £25, that used to be close to £50!

Usually in the colder months I only cycle to commute to work and back. Now I'm going to, hopefully, be spending a decent amount of money on my first road bike I need to justify it but actually going out in the colder weather - what are some essential must haves for cycling in the cold? I guess gloves and overshoes are a given but anything else? I've been old to get a gilet so that's added to the list.
Everyone will have their own advice and preferred. Overshoes are a no brainer, dedicated winter boots are ok but having a pair I barely use them. I'm quite invested in overshoes being a Spatz wearer... :cool:

My current is riding with knee/leg warmers under thermal shorts (Sportful Fiandre) then thermal padless tights to go over the top for the coldest. I've always had cycling specific waterproofs but for the amount of times I wear them could get away with cheaper ones. Or not bother at all. A dedicated waterproof jacket is good for the worst heavy rain, but more a shell, going multiple layers under it for thermal if needed. Packable jackets never used to come close to a proper waterproof jacket - unsure if ShakeDry now means they are... I have a couple of packables too. For winter I tend to go windproof softshells as they offer enough shower protection too so the jacket over the top in the really wet and cold. Although quite often I wouldn't bother unless it's biblical and will just go for different base layers under as it gets colder. I've never really bothered with LS jerseys. I've found arm warmers and gilet far more flexible for the varying seasons and weather we have. As soon as that doesn't suit then it's time for the LS windproof softshells anyway. I'm using various Sportful and DHB, but like the LS Castelli Gabba (just never picked one up).

Gilet is a very good start, a windproof/semi-waterproof one like the Castelli Perfetto ROS is what I use (Previously called Perfetto and the Fawesome). I'm almost exclusively in one commuting (even this time of year) and probably in one (or carrying one) 90% of the time when riding. I have 4 of them for various colours and options... And probably 8 other Gilets in various team kits/colours and thicknesses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank's @Roady - You're going to be sick of how many times I'm racking your brain about different bits. I just can't help it, I'm really excited go get going and it's become a complete obsession the last few months. I should have a nice new M135i coming next month and I couldn't even care less about a car at this point, I just want a bicycle!

My birthday is coming up soon-ish so I'll put that gilet on my birthday list! I wasn't sure about the jerseys so i figured one of each until I realise what gear it is that I like. I'll certainly look into getting some arm and leg/knee warmers too.

Honestly so much to think about!

Soldato
Thank's @Roady - You're going to be sick of how many times I'm racking your brain about different bits. I just can't help it, I'm really excited go get going and it's become a complete obsession the last few months. I should have a nice new M135i coming next month and I couldn't even care less about a car at this point, I just want a bicycle!

My birthday is coming up soon-ish so I'll put that gilet on my birthday list! I wasn't sure about the jerseys so i figured one of each until I realise what gear it is that I like. I'll certainly look into getting some arm and leg/knee warmers too.

Honestly so much to think about!

Haha tell me about it, at least you've been cycling a while to get some stuff/knowledge.

After your post i also started looking. Whilst i figure a lot of my running gear will translate over ok to cycling since at 6'3 and 100kg i'm never doing to be the most aero person in the world to require lycra! My main issue is around windproofing. Usually with running i'm trying to stay cool even in cold weather as i overheat quickly, so need to get something to protect myself from the increased windchill that comes with cycling.

I saw this on Decathlon which seemed a decent option. Seems the sleeves are removable to go from a jacket to a Gilet.
Not sure how well it would perform vs 2 separate items though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rcr-convertible-road-cycling-jacket/_/R-p-312763

Associate
@Junglist I can totally understand with the obsession, i got a bike thinking it would just be something to help get the weight off and maybe a something that ill lose intrest in. 6 months in ended up getting cycle computer, indoor trainer, jersy's, shorts, bib shorts, clipless pedals and now thinking i want to change bikes.

Associate
@Martynt74 I was looking at that jacket havn't quite got around to ordering it as they didnt have the size i wanted in stock. How's the sizing with the jacket as i have stuggled with some XL items and ended up going double XL as im short and round.

Soldato
@Martynt74 I was looking at that jacket havn't quite got around to ordering it as they didnt have the size i wanted in stock. How's the sizing with the jacket as i have stuggled with some XL items and ended up going double XL as im short and round.

I just spotted it online after @Junglist post made me think about requiring proper stuff. I don't actually own it.

It's probably an area where going into a store would be beneficial, but they sell stuff for all my hobbies and i'd be terrified how much i'd end up spending so i always avoid them :D. Have heard good stuff in general about their running clothes though.

Soldato
Haha tell me about it, at least you've been cycling a while to get some stuff/knowledge.

After your post i also started looking. Whilst i figure a lot of my running gear will translate over ok to cycling since at 6'3 and 100kg i'm never doing to be the most aero person in the world to require lycra! My main issue is around windproofing. Usually with running i'm trying to stay cool even in cold weather as i overheat quickly, so need to get something to protect myself from the increased windchill that comes with cycling.

I saw this on Decathlon which seemed a decent option. Seems the sleeves are removable to go from a jacket to a Gilet.
Not sure how well it would perform vs 2 separate items though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rcr-convertible-road-cycling-jacket/_/R-p-312763

That's actually a really good jacket that one and something that would suit my needs down to a tee! I've no idea how I'll perform in the cold, the cold and I aren't best of friends really but as long as I can keep my hands and toes warm, i should be able to cope. I remember when I got my first hybrid bike ~2014 I didn't have gloves the first few cycles in the winter... I have never felt a burn like that before!!

@Junglist I can totally understand with the obsession, i got a bike thinking it would just be something to help get the weight off and maybe a something that ill lose intrest in. 6 months in ended up getting cycle computer, indoor trainer, jersy's, shorts, bib shorts, clipless pedals and now thinking i want to change bikes.

Yeah that's how it went for me. It went from a tool to get me to work a bit quicker without dealing with traffic to now something I just want to keep improving at. Plus, we recently found out we have a parasite growing in my partners stomach which probably means that in a few months, she'll be requiring the car more often than me so it seems like I'm going to become a full time cyclist.

right now though cycling is fantastic for my mental health.

Shame we're all so far apart. Would've loved to have joined some of you on some rides when I get stronger and not such a liability

Soldato
That's brilliant!

OH MY GOD! The bike came in stock! I literally set up a subscription to an app called distil earlier. It checked the site every 10 minutes and the black one just came in stock so I ordered it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom