What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Really like the new CW Sealander series, the white dial with orange bits looks cool, and it's reaosnably priced and specced too. The date window is dial coloured and not at an obtuse position... What's not to like?! A review stated the lume not being the brightest which is a shame since they used X1 grade but as it's C1 that makes sense. Why didn't they use C3 I wonder...

https://www.christopherward.com/sport-new/c63-sealander-automatic/C63-39ADA3-S00W0-TKO.html

I'm half tempted to get one as it's an ideal watch for that Explorer but not an Explorer aesthetic. Those case sides are very nice.

And finally they moved the logo to a more standard place.

Soldato
Really like the new CW Sealander series, the white dial with orange bits looks cool, and it's reaosnably priced and specced too. The date window is dial coloured and not at an obtuse position... What's not to like?! A review stated the lume not being the brightest which is a shame since they used X1 grade but as it's C1 that makes sense. Why didn't they use C3 I wonder...

https://www.christopherward.com/sport-new/c63-sealander-automatic/C63-39ADA3-S00W0-TKO.html

I'm half tempted to get one as it's an ideal watch for that Explorer but not an Explorer aesthetic. Those case sides are very nice.

That is rather pretty. Which Explorer are you seeing it as similar to? Seems more OP to me than Explorer given the white dial and batons rather than only black and 3/6/9.

Associate
Received an "as new" steinhart titanium 500. So far liking it. It's a /notch/ too small but the seller is sending me the spare links he forgot to put in the box. Liking it so far, nice shape, nice "modern" dial, nice bevelled crystal. Light.
z8AMtyd.jpg

Soldato

If you use C3 then you have an off white/greenish colour, which is closer to the natural pigment of SLN. Doesn't always look great on a watch dial so C1 gives you the nice white colour. X1 is also not any brighter than standard or A grade, it just holds luminescence around 60% longer.

Man of Honour
Hmm interesting, I also like the Sandhurst: https://www.christopherward.com/military/c65-sandhurst/C65-38A3H2-S00K0-WC.html

Although it's far too close in design (expected given the military credentials) to my Khaki Pilot just in a different case design. chronometer movement is a nice tough I guess.

I may well go for that white dial Sealander though which would complete my 3 military/exploration themed watch collection for land, air and sea. The Sandhurst though.... is still nice!

Soldato
Oh I meant white dial Explorer as in aesthetic, I do like the Explorers but not enough to ever want one. But OP yeah too I guess. I will umm and ahh for a bit about it :p
TBH I like the white gmt version (it's actually on my 'want list'), which is arguably even closer to the explorer2 in terms of design (one of the few rolex I don't actually mind) but I realised after looking at it more, and getting past the white dial, that it's probably closer to a grand seiko in terms of looks. Still much better value in either case :)

Biggest issue for me is the 39mm size which while I don't doubt will look ok on my 8 inch wrist, I still kind of feel I'd prefer it a little bigger to 'fit' my wrist better if you get me.

scaled to the same sizes

https://www.christopherward.com/sport-new/c63-sealander-gmt/C63-39AGM3-S00K0-B0.html
https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/collections/sbgn003g

Man of Honour
I'm still flipping around between the C63 above white dial and the C65 W10 I posted last. Both would be on bracelet having looked up the CW bracelet now has a glidelock style micro adjust system which is spring loaded, so a mix of Tudor Pelagos and Rolex Glidelock it seems. Quite cool!

That black def is more GS than Explorer though I agree!

Associate
Just preordered the 50th anniversary Bulova lunar pilot, limited edition (5,000 pieces). Always fancied one of these to compliment my speedmaster although could never decide between the brushed or polished versions, glad I held off as this IMO looks amazing.

https://uk.bulova.com/limited-edition-lunar-pilot.html

It’s got real Apollo 11 50th anniversary speedmaster vibes, which I could never afford so this’ll have to do.

Associate
Not a tuning fork accutron, so not really historically accurate at all.

Here's my Spaceview M4 (1964) in 18kt gold, this is my favourite 'nerd' watch. With a vintage movement and the "hum" that goes with it!
YzZQI0i.jpg

Soldato
Just preordered the 50th anniversary Bulova lunar pilot, limited edition (5,000 pieces). Always fancied one of these to compliment my speedmaster although could never decide between the brushed or polished versions, glad I held off as this IMO looks amazing.

https://uk.bulova.com/limited-edition-lunar-pilot.html

It’s got real Apollo 11 50th anniversary speedmaster vibes, which I could never afford so this’ll have to do.
How do you reserve?

Associate
Not a tuning fork accutron, so not really historically accurate at all.

Here's my Spaceview M4 (1964) in 18kt gold, this is my favourite 'nerd' watch. With a vintage movement and the "hum" that goes with it!
YzZQI0i.jpg

That’s lovely, how much is it worth if you don’t mind me asking?

Soldato
I do wish Bulova would just release a model which is true to the original and is mechanical. It would sell like crazy.

I don't get the special edition Speedmasters and the Snoopys. Having a drawing of a badly drawn dog on my watch doesn't do much for me, even with the NASA history behind it.

Associate
I do wish Bulova would just release a model which is true to the original and is mechanical. It would sell like crazy.

I don't get the special edition Speedmasters and the Snoopys. Having a drawing of a badly drawn dog on my watch doesn't do much for me, even with the NASA history behind it.

They must be allergic to money that’s all I can think of

Associate
That’s lovely, how much is it worth if you don’t mind me asking?

I don't know, I paid £800 quite a while back, but its the only one I ever saw in 18kt -- MOST spaceviews have "inferior" setups; like the "printed markers" crystal, instead of the chapter rings. Also this one is solid 18kt, and I never saw another one like that (even the non-spaceview) so really it's "unique" AFAIK.

I since bought a 14kt "back" for it, as the only "wear" they get on soft gold is the marks on the screw caps at the back where you get the battery in/out, so I use the harder metal one. Otherwise it's been working fantastic for many years now, and look awesome. It's clearly a "small" watch by todays standards, but it works great as a dress watch with a serious bit of "nerd" attached to it.

And, seriously, 1964, man. I wasn't even in the sparkle in the blink of my dad's eye then :)

Soldato
They must be allergic to money that’s all I can think of

I agree, they have to be. It would be a serious contender to the Speedmaster. They can't even get the quartz version of it at least looking more historically correct with the finishing being polished instead of brushed on the model with no date and the older logo. Bulova drives me absolutely nuts, they are sitting on a goldmine and don't know it... they won't be seeing a purchase from me until they start paying more attention to detail.

Soldato

It's a really nice looking piece, I'm not a CW fan but this is by far the best they've put out in a while. Good value as well. It makes me wish I could see see passed the logo design / font of CW, but I just can't sadly.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Just received a lovely Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic. Very nice but the strap is too short hence having to order a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a nice but not too expensive watch stand. Just want somewhere to put it on a night time. If there is one that can hold an Apple watch (and charge it) AND a mechanical at the same time that would be even better. Pictures if you have them.

WZgEPPe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom