• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Soldato
Yeah but that's because the GPU comes free with the CPU. It's not a graphics card. They didn't choose Intel because of the graphics. Yes the F series is a little bit cheaper but when people buy an off the shelf PC or laptop, it's normal Intel.

You're including office computers in those statistics as well. It's meaningless.

It's like saying 100% of Windows users have Edge or IE. It means nothing. It's not an achievement because it came bundled in. If Edge/IE became a separate program that you had to buy, it would disappear into obscurity.

The same with intel. Do you honestly think that 69% will buy a discreet Intel graphics card???
As inbuilt GPU get better every year more and more people are choosing inbuilt GPU's as they are good enough and this is slowly growing. Its not that 69% will swap to discreet Intel its that Intel market share is already so big they are not going to give up on Arc due to small sales. That doesn't make sense. If we are talking gaming only I don't get why you think Arc is only going to increase Intel Market share by 3% or why you think that's to small to maintain so they will give up? Intel already have the base market share they need to get past the point of giving up.

Last edited:
Soldato
XeSS is the most exciting part of all of this so far. A DLSS clone that works on all cards, including AMD/Nvidia ones. If Intel have really managed to pull that off, it'll be extremely impressive. The SDK for it is being made available this month too, so we could see it implemented in games and running on AMD/Nvidia cards before Intel have even launched theirs.

Associate
Hopefully they could see that the level of GFX cards being made and sold is low and produce loads of competitive cards across the low, mid and high level GFX cards range. This would make them the third member of the GFX club, making GFX cards across the whole range and manufacturers very competitive, in price and abilities.

However, they then have a couple of choices. They can make their cards available at a price that under cuts the opposition, which would get the attention of potential GFX card buyers. Good all-round decision.........however, they have shareholders too.....so they then jump at the chance to make a fast buck, and price their cards at the same price as their competitors across their whole range, pleasing those shareholders and making more money.....so instead of having two manufacturers who price their products at any price they want to make up, regardless of the GFX card market/environment, we'll have three manufacturers doing the same thing, so no one is any better off, anything competitive goes out the window as they are all the same!

I hate to say it, but I know which one will be too hard to pass up, they'll want a piece of that very expensive pie!! ;)

Soldato
OP
Intel doesn't even have a high performance bar,let alone price to beat. They literally could have an RTX3070,at RTX3070 level pricing,but actually available in quantity at under £500 and people would buy it. The bigger issue is the drivers.

Associate
Intel doesn't even have a high performance bar,let alone price to beat. They literally could have an RTX3070,at RTX3070 level pricing,but actually available in quantity at under £500 and people would buy it. The bigger issue is the drivers.
Here is hoping teasm blue put out some decent drivers for both windows and linux....don't hold my breath. I get there will be initial teething issues, so fingers crossed over 6-12months they will solidify.

Soldato
OP
Here is hoping teasm blue put out some decent drivers for both windows and linux....don't hold my breath. I get there will be initial teething issues, so fingers crossed over 6-12months they will solidify.

Hopefully Intel actually wants to aggressive get some marketshare,and TBF AMD/Nvidia has made it much easier due to their opportunistic price increases in 2021,to set the bar relatively low for Intel. I do think you are right,there are no doubt going to be problems,but we do need more players in this area. It seems AMD/Nvidia have gotten very comfortable.

Soldato
I'm optimistic about Xe. Raja makes some interesting designs, he should just leave the marketing to someone else :p. Are there any other big profile peeps on the Xe team? do anyone know of any noteworthy souls who been working on it?

Soldato
OP
I'm optimistic about Xe. Raja makes some interesting designs, he should just leave the marketing to someone else :p. Are there any other big profile peeps on the Xe team? do anyone know of any noteworthy souls who been working on it?

TBF,he was involved with the ATI R300 which was the first GPU to actually beat Nvidia they made. I do think with Vega,AMD basically had not enough money,and was shoehorning the product into to many areas.

Associate
Hopefully Intel actually wants to aggressive get some marketshare,and TBF AMD/Nvidia has made it much easier due to their opportunistic price increases in 2021,to set the bar relatively low for Intel. I do think you are right,there are no doubt going to be problems,but we do need more players in this area. It seems AMD/Nvidia have gotten very comfortable.

Agreed, so fingers crossed Intel makes good on the opportunities in play. Beat Nvidia with a big stick and we might see some proper market and performance shifts in the coming year(s).

Associate
As an example, there's millions upon millions of Sony fans but hardly anyone is buying Sony batteries. Duracell and Eveready remain untouched.

Consumer batteries, maybe, but in the filmmaking world Sony NPF batteries are a standard for on-camera monitors, lights, battery grips and a variety of other accessories.

Unrelated, but just wanted to mention that. Back to Intel Arc... :D

Soldato
As inbuilt GPU get better every year more and more people are choosing inbuilt GPU's as they are good enough and this is slowly growing. Its not that 69% will swap to discreet Intel its that Intel market share is already so big they are not going to give up on Arc due to small sales. That doesn't make sense. If we are talking gaming only I don't get why you think Arc is only going to increase Intel Market share by 3% or why you think that's to small to maintain so they will give up? Intel already have the base market share they need to get past the point of giving up.

You seem to be under the impression that it doesn't cost extra to compete at the high end? It cost millions to compete with a 1050Ti. Yet it costs billions to compete with a 3090. I exagerating a bit but you're talking many orders of magnitude more expensive.

Yes, Intel have a very lucrative business selling CPUs with integrated graphics. But if they competed at the high end for only 3% of the market, they wouldn't get their initial invesment back.

I dont even know where this 3% came from to be honest. Where did you pluck that number from?

Associate
For this reason with the driver's thing I think I'll be skipping Intel's first 1 or 2 GPU releases just to see how their software support is medium to long term.

Soldato
OP
Agreed, so fingers crossed Intel makes good on the opportunities in play. Beat Nvidia with a big stick and we might see some proper market and performance shifts in the coming year(s).

I think both Intel and AMD have settled into not competing too hard with each other now. You can literally see them price products around each other.

For this reason with the driver's thing I think I'll be skipping Intel's first 1 or 2 GPU releases just to see how their software support is medium to long term.

You would think with so many IGPs,Intel should have had enough realworld testing of their drivers!! :p

Soldato
You seem to be under the impression that it doesn't cost extra to compete at the high end? It cost millions to compete with a 1050Ti. Yet it costs billions to compete with a 3090. I exagerating a bit but you're talking many orders of magnitude more expensive.

Yes, Intel have a very lucrative business selling CPUs with integrated graphics. But if they competed at the high end for only 3% of the market, they wouldn't get their initial invesment back.

I dont even know where this 3% came from to be honest. Where did you pluck that number from?
You said Intel would only gain 12% of the market share and as you said not office e.c.t I thought you meant gaming market share. Intel already have 9% of the gaming market share. So, if they only go to 12% then they only gain 3%. Which I think Arc will gain more then 3% so they will highly likely overtake AMD in gaming market share.

Designing for the high end is not that different from the low end and it’s not many orders of magnitude more expensive. Plus there is a lot of cross over as you use the same driver teams, part of the same R&D team, same production plants, same promotional teams, same core architecture e.c.t as you do with the low end. For example Intel already have 9% of the gaming market and so already have the needed core gaming drivers and core gaming driver team.

The high end chip is not standalone from a development point of view you take the low end and high end and cross develop sharing many of the costs. The new architecture will be scaled across all platforms which means the embedded GPU’s development costs cover a large amount of the high end development costs. Intel already have the market share to cover this development cost. In short you make a new architecture and then scale it up and down.

That's how all the really big GPU designers work including the big ones like Imagination Technologies, ARM and Qualcomm they design high end GPU's and never bring them to market every year as the development is part of the low and mid range development as the core architecture is shared between the low and high end. EDIT: I am not saying there is zero cost for the high end as there is extra costs just with the large market share Intel have a lot of that cost is already covered.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel’s Flagship ARC Graphics Card With Xe-HPG Alchemist GPU To Tackle AMD RX 6700 XT & NVIDIA RTX 3070

https://wccftech.com/intels-flagshi...gpu-to-tackle-amd-rx-6700-xt-nvidia-rtx-3070/

Xe-HPG 512 will be flagship ARC GPU with 4096 FP32 cores to compete AMD RX 6700 XT and Nvidia RTX 3070. The spec look like it will be RX 6700 XT killer, AMD will lose marketshare to Intel.

Clickbait article - non-performance numbers at all, just a bunch of guesses

We know how many cores Intel's gpu has but no one knows what the IPC is

Back
Top Bottom