Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Yeah, personally I've never been into fast charging anyway, even if handset supported it and have a bunch of 25W ones lying around at this point, just need to replace the cables once in a while.

Soldato
Apparently it will support 33W charging at least: https://www.androidcentral.com/googles-pixel-6-will-reportedly-charge-much-faster-pixel-5

30W charging on my OP7TPro is fast enough but I never really needed super fast charging. Luckily I do have the 65W OP charger that does support USB-PD PPS charging up to 45W so I can reuse that, and most of my other spare chargers are USB-PD compatible, although at slower speeds.

Any news on the Pixel Foldable or is it still a pipe dream?

From the same article as above:
Besides shedding light on the charging speeds of the Pixel 6 series phones, the report also claims that Google's Pixel Fold has been delayed. It was expected to be announced alongside the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro. Although there's no word on when the foldable Pixel could be launched, it is possible that Google may still preview the device at its fall hardware event. Rumors suggest the foldable phone will be powered by Google's new Tensor processor.

The 6 is very tempting but I want to hold off for more information on the foldable too, there's not been many leaks on it so I suspect it could be pushed back to 2022.

Soldato
To be fair I do think they should at least offer some kind of a heavy discount for those who want/need a charger, if environment is actually what they care about rather than just saving money.

Wasn't it Xiaomi Mi 11 that had a free charger offer if you wanted it bundled with the phone?

Soldato
Excluding the charger is absolutely all about the money.

To be fair I do think they should at least offer some kind of a heavy discount for those who want/need a charger, if environment is actually what they care about rather than just saving money.

Wasn't it Xiaomi Mi 11 that had a free charger offer if you wanted it bundled with the phone?

These probably have a cost price of a £1, apple already do this as the trends go others follow suit.

It's not just the charger, it allows you again like apple to massively reduce the size of the box. So in theory apple can have double the amount of phones on a pallet from China

Yep cost saving, but also greener so sounds good to me.

Soldato
Yeah there is environmental aspect here regardles of motives and while it personally doesn't affect me, not everyone might have a bunch of chargers lying around so think companies should heavily subsidise or give an option of having a charger bundled with your order.

Soldato
Yeah there is environmental aspect here regardles of motives and while it personally doesn't affect me, not everyone might have a bunch of chargers lying around so think companies should heavily subsidise or give an option of having a charger bundled with your order.

Why would anyone "heavily subsidise" a product that has an item that costs £1 removed ?

I can see your not a business man :D

No doubt like apple you can add a charger if you really need one, but seeing as usb c has been around for many years most people will have one, and will think twice about a purchase of item that can't be recycled.

Soldato
For companies to actually demonstrate they aren't just virtue signalling and using the environment as a smoke screen to simply cut costs by not including the charger.

Just looked it up and it was Xiaomi who gave people a choice to have a charger bundled or not, that's really how it should be handled if you want to show your customers you aren't just saving money for yourself.

Then again, Apple got away with it like they did with a headphone jack which quickly became an industry standard so this will be the same. Another revenue stream, especially if people want to invest into a faster charging unit.

Soldato
It's definitely a smoke screen to increase profits.

If they cared about the environment they'd make their tech last longer don't ya think! Instead of pumping new products every other second. So much BS.

Soldato
You give people a choice then 90% would take it regardless if they need it.

Honestly do not see what people are fussing about.

As I said before it allows Google and apple to reduce the box size so they can ship more phones per pallet / plane / boat

That's better for the environment and cheaper for apple / Google.

Pretty sure the iPhone box has a 50% reduction in size when they removed the charger and reduced it in general

Soldato
Honestly do not see what people are fussing about.

You said it doesn’t affect you because you have loads of chargers lying around. What if you only had a couple of 5w chargers because you’d switched from iPhone, or hadn’t owned a recent Android?

Then you’d have to hand over another twenty quid on top of the thousand quid purchase price of your phone in order to take advantage of its faster charging. Maybe you’d want a second charger for another room and then it’s forty quid extra.

Now if these companies did something like (say) commit to planting a few trees or whatever when you bought one of their chargers, then maybe the green argument would hold up.

But really it’s just corporate profiteering. People’s money going into the coffers of trillion dollar tech giants on the basis of what are pretty much lies.

Now if these companies did something like (say) commit to planting a few trees or whatever when you bought one of their chargers, then maybe the green argument would hold up
But it does hold up. Instead of having to ship say 50 shipping containers, now they ship 25 for the same amount of phones. How is that not good? Because the odd person here and there need a charger still in this day and age?

Imagine spending £1k on a phone, and fussing over £20 for a charger.

It’s your £20 that a massive company would rather have instead of you having it. Why wouldn’t you fuss it?

good point. there must be some savings from not only not including this item, so saving on the material, but also transport/storage costs, not just to google, but also everyone from there that resells etc.

Maybe we don't see a single penny of these savings, or maybe we do, it's hard to say. but what we do know is that most people don't need them, and those that do, can get a standard charger for £5 or so, inc delivery

Soldato
Exactly. These things are a few quid to buy if you need one... Also we don't know for a fact it's not coming with one, or if Google will reduce or offer a bundled discount charger ... Or the price of the pixel.

Either way you don't have to buy one... Kicking off about it is pointless ... Many many other non ethical reasons NOT to buy a Google or Apple product you should care about more.

Soldato
No one is kicking off to be honest, we're just pointing our the hypocrisy of many companies who have done this in the past and relatively simple steps they can take to show that they actually care about the environment and not just their cost cutting.

If they are indeed passing the saving onto consumers or re-investing it into "environment", they can always outline the clear steps they have taken in their CSR/PR statements. Of course as above we don't know how Google will deal with this yet either but this is just a general discussion about the topic.

Like I said won't affect me and many here, but then again how representitive are we of the Joe Bloggs market?

Back
Top Bottom