Ebay collection in person?

Soldato
(I rarely use Ebay and I'm remembering why... :o )

A guy is selling 50 chairs of which I'd like to buy 4. It's collection in person. Messaged back and forth and agreed a price for the 4. He asked me to formalise the offer but Ebay would only let me make an offer for one. So I put in the price for one chair. He was fine with that and accepted the offer and we have agreed a time and given me the address to collect.

Seems I can go through two ways on Ebay, one seems to take me through to checkout and it's asking me to pay the price for one chair via Paypal etc. which I'm assuming I don't want to do. The second which my friend was saying about is you show the collection barcode to the guy, then pay there and then. This sounds right to me, I don't want to pay until I've seen them. Happy to pay cash, bank transfer or Paypal whatever after that.

It's obviously a restaurant selling up so I'm not too worried about being done over. How do you usually work collection in person deals? I've only ever done straight forward bid, pay, receive :confused:

Associate
I recently sold something on Ebay that got collected. I haven't used Ebay in years and everything down to the payment seems to have changed but the buyer paid straight away then collected the next day and scanned a qr code when he was happy with the item.

Soldato
(I rarely use Ebay and I'm remembering why... :o )

A guy is selling 50 chairs of which I'd like to buy 4. It's collection in person. Messaged back and forth and agreed a price for the 4. He asked me to formalise the offer but Ebay would only let me make an offer for one. So I put in the price for one chair. He was fine with that and accepted the offer and we have agreed a time and given me the address to collect.

Seems I can go through two ways on Ebay, one seems to take me through to checkout and it's asking me to pay the price for one chair via Paypal etc. which I'm assuming I don't want to do. The second which my friend was saying about is you show the collection barcode to the guy, then pay there and then. This sounds right to me, I don't want to pay until I've seen them. Happy to pay cash, bank transfer or Paypal whatever after that.

It's obviously a restaurant selling up so I'm not too worried about being done over. How do you usually work collection in person deals? I've only ever done straight forward bid, pay, receive :confused:
Meet the man at time and place agreed, inspect the chairs if happy pay cash/bank transfer or whatever then leave with the chairs, job jobbed..

Soldato
As it's only chairs, and like you say it's from a business. Frankly i would just put through the payment for one, and then pay for the other three via cash/BT when you go to collect.

Caporegime
Cash on collection. That way seller avoids fees and can pass some of the saving on but this sounds like the seller is retarded and wants to pay the fees and lose money as a result.

Soldato
I've done a couple cash on collections over the last year both as a buyer and seller. They now give the buyer a QR code and the seller just scans it on the app when the deals been done. It marks it as delivered on the app so stops people scamming by saying the item hasn't been delivered. It's a much better system now as it protects the seller more for cash on collection transactions.

Soldato
OP
I've asked the seller if he's ok with cash or bank transfer or paypal when I collect on Monday. Can't see any point transferring some now as he only provided a couple of pics and I want to look at them first. Can't see any difference between me using any of those payment methods tbh, at least once I've got the chairs in my hand :confused:

I've done a couple cash on collections over the last year both as a buyer and seller. They now give the buyer a QR code and the seller just scans it on the app when the deals been done. It marks it as delivered on the app so stops people scamming by saying the item hasn't been delivered. It's a much better system now as it protects the seller more for cash on collection transactions.
Ah so that's what it's for. So it doesn't really matter what amount of £££ my checkout is saying? He can just scan the QR code to confirm I've taken the item(s)?

Soldato
Ah so that's what it's for. So it doesn't really matter what amount of £££ my checkout is saying? He can just scan the QR code to confirm I've taken the item(s)?

Yeh, that's all I've used it for. I paid Paypal for one item in advance and collected, and cash for another, both times they just scanned my code and it marked it as delivered so I couldn't scam them.

Soldato

what was the end of the story ?

Did you get a QR code and buy one chair cash on collection, and, also, payed privately for the other 3.

Back
Top Bottom