PC Upgrade Causing problems

Associate
Hi guys
I've just upgraded my GPU from a 750Ti to a 3060Ti (finally). At the same time, I also added a new fan at the back of my case and added some PSU cable extensions - both aethetic changes. However, now my PC is behaving strangely: When I boot it up, sometimes the Corsair lighting does not activate, and I need to restart to get it back up.
When I boot up a game, my PC lighting cuts out, and my PC makes the Windows disconnect noise several times. This also causes some of my USBs to cut out and my PC to jitter.
These things happen for a split second, and then the PC returns to normal. Sometimes there is no issue at all, it depends on what I am doing.

My specs are:
MSI B550 MPG
Ryzen 5 5600X
Corsair Vengeance 3200 (2x8)
Inno3D RTX 3060Ti
WD Black 1TB NVME M.2 SSD
Corsair 4000X Case
Corsair Hydro 100i
750W PSU

Associate
Could try a bios upgrade, sometimes new hardware needs this - for example I recently added an NVMe drive that needed a bios update to work on x570.
Also chipset drivers to latest

Associate
Yeah first update all your bios and chipset and gpu drivers. Then check in BIOS what your PCIe x16 lane is set too, hope its on auto and working ok but may be worthwhile changing it to 4 if it is set to 3. Also uninstall and reinstall any corsair software you are using.

If no software changes help then you will have to methodically go back to where you were at the start. Firstly make sure all leads are fully and properly in place then check again and unplug one thing at a time until the system if working perfectly. Once you are back to the barebones , no lighting and no psu extensions , just the cpu + gpu +psu+ mobo + ram + storage check and see if there are any issues. If there are still issues replace the 750ti and see if that fixes the issue. If you have to roll all the way back to the 750ti then ,if you can , test that 3060ti in another system because that is most likely the problem.

Cable extensions the correct ones for your psu ?

Be methodical, change one thing at a time and test. Only way to find the problem.

Soldato
and added some PSU cable extensions - both aethetic changes
Extension of cable is always some more resistance from extra length of wiring and one extra (hopefully not loose) connection.

Also double check every connection in case you accidentally nudged something.

Associate
No brand PSU + no mention of extension branding?

Are these two fully compatible by the manufacturer standards? See above about resistance. While i don't know enough about electric, i think the above can cause additional heat and/or additional voltage from the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom