It's time to say good bye to the goodest of boys

Soldato
Very sorry for loss man. Went through the same a few years ago. My dog of 18 years started getting sick one day and after a couple of weeks of various attempts to try and cure her, I was told it was time to put her down.

I haven't been able to get another dog since then. Every time I go to look at dogs, all I can think about is that last heart breaking couple of weeks and how deep the sense of loss was. I don't think I could go through that again.

Soldato
Jesus, wasn't expecting to shed a tear tonight, flipping hit me you have, so sorry to hear man. You sound like the owner every dog wishes for and deserves though mate, sounds like you gave your dog a fantastic life. We truly don't deserve dogs, anyone that has never owned or understood what they bring to a family or a person is missing out on one of the finest things in life. I can't bear to go through this with ours, it's a thought that triggers huge sadness, brings back memories of how I had to deal with losing my dad 6 years ago. It's a thought I can't stand, I give my cockapoo everything I have to give as I know one day I'll have to go through this with my wife and soon to be baby. Our dog is only 3, I'd do anything and everything to have her for an eternity I really would.

Thoughts are with you OP.

V F

V F

Soldato
We all know this day will come but you don't think about it. When it does come its like a truck hitting you face on...

I remember that so well when my West Highland Terrier died in my arms heading into the vets very late at night. They opened up the place for that time. As she injected him to make sure he was dead. Death truly is brutal.

Soldato
Sad for your loss but I know I will get flamed for going against the grain, it seems rather hasty after a month and not in obvious pain and I feel he didn't want to go as he wasn't pulling on the lead for the first time but loyal following his master.

Associate
Sad for your loss but I know I will get flamed for going against the grain, it seems rather hasty after a month and not in obvious pain and I feel he didn't want to go as he wasn't pulling on the lead for the first time but loyal following his master.

I wanted to reply with exactly the same..

Why jump to the very end if there's no underlying condition or incurable illness?

Putting him down at 11 without 100% knowing there's no chance of improvement is too quick. If he was another 5 years along then sure, but he is in no pain.

Such a good boy deserves every chance of life!

Soldato
Jesus man, my 13yo lab had exactly the same symptoms....turned out to be nothing more than a stomach ulcer from her pain meds. She's back to running around like a spring chicken again now. ''weight off my shoulders'' - I can understand that, but seems to be hasty.

Anyway your dog, your decision, but 13 isn't a death sentence in itself. Hope you feel you did the right thing.

Soldato
It's a delicate tricky one, we got whispers behind our backs for taking bill right to 16 yrs old, when his back legs went but he could still Potter Afew metres and not in pain, we converted a kids cycle trailer for him.
We would wheel him down to the beach and he loved it, but after all functions went and. He was in distress that was the time (I would want that myself)

Soldato
It's a delicate tricky one, we got whispers behind our backs for taking bill right to 16 yrs old, when his back legs went but he could still Potter Afew metres and not in pain, we converted a kids cycle trailer for him.
We would wheel him down to the beach and he loved it, but after all functions went and. He was in distress that was the time (I would want that myself)

Good mentality that. I always said when my old girl couldn't run anymore, I'd send her on her way, on account of being a working dog and couldn't imagine her enjoying life at a slow pace. Amazing how they adapt though and she is still full of life trotting after the younger dogs, lying watching the action rather than being in the middle of it.

Underboss
Always get your pets insured, a "friend" couldn't afford a £3.5k vet bill once and due to the lack on insurance had to go with the decision to end the life of the animal. Heart breaking

*not saying this had any affect on the OP etc just a word of warning for pet owners.

Soldato
OP
To the posters who say it was or a possible hasty decision and that he could have had a few more years, yeah in a way I can see where you're coming from. The thing is he was very weak, tests came back with nothing apart from the sickness symptoms. Not eating for 3 days, had no energy, the not pulling on a lead, realistically it was because he had no energy. I walked him a different way to the vets so he really didn't know where he was going.

End of the day I felt he had nothing left in him. I guess its easy for me to say as he is my dog and I know him, whereas you guys will not. This is in no way flaming you for your opinion by the way. The vets told me, if we had him back in for more tests, at the rate he was wearing out he may not have lasted another day anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I have been thinking about it all night, did I make the right choice, could he have been saved. I don't know to be truthful. Even for another 2 days of him suffering even though they may have had something for him, I didn't want him to suffer any more. He has seen me suffer a fair few times and he was upset and supportive as much as he could have been. I don't think he would have wanted me to suffer with him during this time.

I feel bad now.

Back
Top Bottom