Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
They are very Apple biased.

Far from a massive Apple fan here but they have set a pretty decent bar in terms of watches and their user privacy to be fair.

things like ecg, blood pressure etc will only work on a Samsung phone as there is another app that's only in the Samsung app store.

Exactly. I don't want to get feature blocked because I don't run a Samsung handset. If I wanted locked ecosystems I'd go Apple.

Soldato
Exactly. I don't want to get feature blocked because I don't run a Samsung handset. If I wanted locked ecosystems I'd go Apple.

The GW4 looks pretty good, but the lock-in would definitely put me off buying one unless I knew my next couple of phones would be Samsungs. In all honesty I can’t blame them for doing this, but what Android needs is a slew of decent alternatives so that people have a choice.

Soldato
The GW4 looks pretty good, but the lock-in would definitely put me off buying one unless I knew my next couple of phones would be Samsungs. In all honesty I can’t blame them for doing this, but what Android needs is a slew of decent alternatives so that people have a choice.
yeah, i think i'll end up waiting for someone to create a competitor to the GW4 that uses the standard android apps. not sure who has the capability to do that at the moment though.

maybe one day Samsung will open it up with an update once they've shifted a load of units. probably a little hopeful though.

Associate
My Black 44mm came today at 8:05am ordered on the 16 august, yet my Silver 44mm & mustard strap is still at processing when I ordered those on the 11th august. How does that work?

nam

nam

Soldato
just got mine 42mm classic , here are some quick shots compared to my galaxy watch active 2 (40mm) . Watch 4 classic feels a lot more substantial in quality

20210820-102445.jpg

20210820-102519.jpg

Soldato
What's the charger like?

Same as Watch 3 flat charging pad

Quick review

Came with 55% battery charge

Sensors are faster to read my BP,ECG ,stress levels and oxygen level vs GW3 (O2 used to fail often on GW3)

Interface is quick and smooth apps load quick .

Samsung pay was quicker to pay as well tho they have moved button to the bottom to action pay so I have to relearn that now . :p

Pleased with it so far.

Soldato
Same as Watch 3 flat charging pad

Quick review

Came with 55% battery charge

Sensors are faster to read my BP,ECG ,stress levels and oxygen level vs GW3 (O2 used to fail often on GW3)

Interface is quick and smooth apps load quick .

Samsung pay was quicker to pay as well tho they have moved button to the bottom to action pay so I have to relearn that now . :p

Pleased with it so far.

Thanks.

Associate
Anyone having a problem getting a vibration alert when they get a Gmail?

I have set to get notifications but I only get the orange dot with no vibration.

Soldato
Anyone having a problem getting a vibration alert when they get a Gmail?

I have set to get notifications but I only get the orange dot with no vibration.

Just tested this Gmail is very slow on my phone at the moment I can confirm no vibration

I've turned notifications on off but no difference

Soldato
Watch 4 / Samsung closed ecosystem - can't you export fitness data(ecg etc) into some nicer 3rd party tools, that speak FIT format ?
Rainmaker suggests fitnesssync https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/03/export-data-samsung-watch-galaxy-health-app.html.

I'm currently using a dedicated Suunto sports watch, and since the demise of their excellent Movescount App, have been trying out
SportTracker https://www.sports-tracker.com/diary/workout-list, https://quantified-self.io/user
I want to get the data onto a decent sized monitor on a PC, still looking for something better though.

------------

I can't see how any can be accurate, I use a proper NHS Philips CPAP machine to track my sleep patterns because of my Sleep Apnoea.
It then pushes more oxygen into me when I stop breathing and the Sleep Nurses can ring it up and get all the information off it.
I want this to be part of a new watch, so I could monitor rem sleep etc
but, yes, they are not yet accurate versus psg with an electrode on your head https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8120339/#sup1
a 2020 techincal paper, 50% accurate for rem sleep, but ok to detect when you are asleep.

51391074440_6ef8b84185_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom