Changing CPU with Full Mobo waterblock

Associate
So I've been having problems with new CPU's running pretty warm and all of the online searches reveals that surprise to me I did not know that all 5000 series CPU's run hot, not just warm, but 80-90c hot and that was only the 5800x, i had a 3950x that i stressed tested on cinebench to 95c, but I was not surprised due to the nature of the chip.

So the build is not complete I'm just testing all chips and gpu's, i have all blocks ready to go, but what i want to know is how difficult is it to change my CPU once I have installed the block.

1) Drain Loop
2) Remove Tubing
3) Unscrew Mobo
4) Remove Block being careful not to rip the thermal pads
5) Swap out CPU

Is this what I'm looking at every time I want to swap out.

Also could I get some advice on what is a good gaming CPU, only gaming, i had a 1600x which was fine i wanted a bit more head room though. What Temps should I be looking at with 5800X under this block.

Before you ask I am going to reseat the CPU today as I think I might of messed up somewhere, dam AMD fixtures, drop a bolt, lose a bolt they say. Also everything works fine at the moment except Warzone. As soon as I load it up it restarts my PC, it can't be a temp thing even though they do hit 70 on load up, as I downloaded Cyberpunk and that runs fine under ultra settings. I'm losing me marbles.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Theoretically you don’t need to drain anything. Just lift the CPU block and install the new CPU. But to be on the safe side, why don’t you invest in some quick disconnect joints for the CPU?

Associate
OP
Theoretically you don’t need to drain anything. But to be on the safe side, why don’t you invest in some quick disconnect joints for the CPU?

Unfortunately I went for hard tubing, but that would have been the best idea. Really I'm more worried that if I remove the block more than once I'll ruin the thermal pads.

Soldato
Shouldn't be any thermal pads on a cpu unless you're using those weird graphene things (in which case, why? just use paste!). Because you have gone hardline, you will have to remove the hardline from the block to be able to move it (one reason why I've never bothered with hardline). But your list is correct.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't be any thermal pads on a cpu unless you're using those weird graphene things (in which case, why? just use paste!). Because you have gone hardline, you will have to remove the hardline from the block to be able to move it (one reason why I've never bothered with hardline). But your list is correct.

It's a full mobo block, so it will cover your vrms as well. Those are what are covered by the thermal pads and the CPU itself is thermal paste. I know you can buy thermal pads online but i literally have no idea what size or thickness i need at this time, I might move forward with some simple water cooling and leave the gpu for maybe next week. As that has to be ripped apart and block put on there, with backplate. Which is why i want to get any issues ironed out quickly, gonna re[paste the CPU cooler later, be an hour offline, so I'll see if anyone has advice later.

I really need advice on a CPU, as I've just done a full re-install of Warzone ands i still get the PC resetting issue. I'm completely stuck on that one.

Associate
Not sure on temps with a monoblock but typical temps for a 5800x would be 30-40c idle (pending ambient obviously), and 60-75c load.. varying depending on setup.. and what you are running to bench test it.

Full gaming CPU, most seem to think the 5600x is the one to go for.

Not had a full cover block before so not sure how they are mounted. You only need to remove the motherboard if you dont have access the the backside of where the CPU sits.. most motherboard trays nowadays have a square cutout so you can just unscrew the block without unscrewing the motherboard

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@im4gine3 Genius, thank you, Yes the 5800x sits about 40c at the moment and does sit at 70c while gaming, but i think this may be because it's sat right above a Toasty Boi (3080Ti).

I forgot to even think about the screws just being on the top of the block so you always have access to them, and yes the O11 Dynamic, does have a cut out for Mobo access. The thing is i feel like a 6/12 cpu doesn't have what it takes for 100fps, which is why i moved up level.

Really need to get on with repasting the cpu, but 've been caught watching something. I may even try the 3950x quick again and see if MW even loads.

Associate
If you post up the monoblock that you're using then we can see what pads you need. I have a EK monoblock that uses 1mm pads, which I changed for Gelid pads, it also has 4 screw's for the VRM heat sinks which are accessed from the back of the motherboard, which has to be removed in my case to access them.

Associate
OP
I think I have the same one as yourself, for use on the X570-E board. As soon as i googled yours it shows the backplate used to attach, like I say I am still doing this as a dry run for a few days, especially till I can get this CPU problem solved for Warzone. If i have to swap CPU again i'm gonna be annoyed, really want to move away from 6/12 cores, i only just realised the other day there is no Ryzen 10-core, completely got me.

Back
Top Bottom