• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 to 3080Ti worth the money?

Soldato
What is everyones opinions on a 3080 vs 6800XT for this pricing?
The 6800 XT is a great card. It's still overpriced at £900, but if it was a choice between that and a 3080 (Ti) for hundreds more, I'd take the 6800 XT. Especially with Intel's XeSS announcement yesterday, which means that AMD cards should essentially have DLSS in the near future, which was a decent selling point of RTX cards (at least if you have any interest in the handful of games which have it).

Associate
It's definitely not worth the money if you're going from the £650 FE price to the 3080ti but I imagine the 3080 Strix from OC is probably about £900 or something equally shocking so for £200 more it may well be worth it to you. Get Telegram notifications to your phone and buy a 3080 FE or 3080 TI FE direct from Nvidia as they're the only remotely reasonable priced 3080/TI models. Edit:Just read you're paying £880 for the 3080, ROFL so I'd cancel that order and get the 3080TI FE if I were you, you'll almost certainly get it sooner too. Actually I wouldn't I'd get the 3080 FE and spend the £400 left over (or £900 as you'd probably go the ASUS rip off route) on something I could actually see the benefit of given that even at 4K you'll struggle to see the extra frames with the 3080TI.

Last edited:
Soldato
And is still a decent selling point, DLSS is brilliant. A quick Google tells me 60+ games support it, while only 7 support FSR.

Which means owning an AMD card for FSR may see the gpu out of date before the technology becomes worthwhile.
DLSS is here now, works, and is implemented.

The 6800 XT is a great card. It's still overpriced at £900, but if it was a choice between that and a 3080 (Ti) for hundreds more, I'd take the 6800 XT. Especially with Intel's XeSS announcement yesterday, which means that AMD cards should essentially have DLSS in the near future, which was a decent selling point of RTX cards (at least if you have any interest in the handful of games which have it).

Soldato
And is still a decent selling point, DLSS is brilliant. A quick Google tells me 60+ games support it, while only 7 support FSR.

Which means owning an AMD card for FSR may see the gpu out of date before the technology becomes worthwhile.
DLSS is here now, works, and is implemented.
Gotta love a triggered fanboy leaping to his favourite corporation's defence. :D

Soldato
No fan boy here, I love both AMD and Nvidia tech. And have owned both over the years.
There's no way I'd defend AMD or Nvidia, and how they operate as a company towards customers. But given the choice, one is clearly ahead of the other at this current time.
Sorry if that offends you.

Soldato
No fan boy here, I love both AMD and Nvidia tech. And have owned both over the years.
There's no way I'd defend AMD or Nvidia, and how they operate as a company towards customers. But given the choice, one is clearly ahead of the other at this current time.
Sorry if that offends you.
You're the one getting offended over the opinions of others, friend. :)

Soldato
It depends how close you are to the front of the queue I suppose. The 3080ti is double the price for 10-15% extra fps so not really worth it but then 3080s are now selling over 1k so either way your not going to a card at close to the price you originally paid unless you can pick up a 3080FE or are prepared to wait out the queue.

Associate
I got a 3070ti as it was due to limited available stock at an already inflated price. Im going to keep if for a couple of years and then see what the situation is then.
My advice is keep the £650, put it away and wait out the storm. You will have £650 to put to something better in the future.

Associate
No gpu at the mo is worth the money they're all rip offs -
even the low end cards are basically selling at the same price point as HIGH end cards from just 2 generations ago (3060s selling for over £500: the price of new 1080tis, which are actually faster?? Also barely beats the already overpriced rtx2070 or even 2060s yet sells for more?!?)

3070 matches 2080ti, great. Costs about the same though so no progress made.

It's ******... And will remain so for ages because everyone keeps buying them.

Soldato
I think you're right, I can't honestly see prices dropping to what people want for the next few years. A mining crash dumping lots of used stock into the market would help, but only those after used cards. Manufacturers know that customers are willing to pay for what they want in enough volume for it to be sustainable. And the stigma around used mining cards will keep the new prices high.
So it will be down to each individual to decide how much they are prepared to swallow in the current market for the performance and features they desire. And for the foreseeable future.
The only 'hope' (and yes, I use that term loosely) is that you can still buy a top performing gpu at last years msrp. Now whether you believe msrp is good value.....

Soldato
I have had both since launch, imo the 3080ti is definitely better on the really demanding games at 4k 120hz max settings.

Just depends what price you can get one for. It's probably worth an extra £200 over the 3080 for the extra ray tracing cores and vram.

Associate
OP
I was just speaking to a friend about getting a 6800XT instead of the 3080 Strix.

The 6800XT is 900 pound, i paid 880 for the strix 3080.

ive just realised ive got a 5900x, which allows me to have SAM with the 6800XT. Do you think this will then beat the 3080 on most games? i play at 1440P, 240Hz monitor!

Back
Top Bottom