What film did you watch last night?

I never realised there was a book, I’ll need to track it down. Anyhoo on reflection amend my score to 5/10, not least because two days later John Barry’s excellent music is still going round inside my head and still being hummed, much to the annoyance of my missus.

Thinking about it, it might have been more of an Album or comic book of some sort. Shame I don't still have it. It might be worth something!

Caporegime
I never realised there was a book, I’ll need to track it down. Anyhoo on reflection amend my score to 5/10, not least because two days later John Barry’s excellent music is still going round inside my head and still being hummed, much to the annoyance of my missus.

The book was a novelisation of the film, not the other way around. I have a deep love of The Black Hole for sentimental reasons, but it's not a great film. It started out as something very different but got completely warped during production as Disney tried to make it into a film for kids. I'd love to see what the original more adult horror/disaster movie would have been, there's a lot there that hints at something darker and better.

Soldato
Aftermath - 2/10

Dreadful. The film was bad but so was the audio, acting and the camera. I've seen the weird effect they put on TV and film these days but this was awful to the point at times it felt like I was drunk watching it and some tirmes their faces were all warped. How does this carp get made.

Associate
Major Grom Plague Doctor (Netflix)

This is a Russian "superhero" film. So subtitle haters beware.

I was desperate. Nothing to watch so looked through Netflix and this kept popping up.
Decided to give it a chance.

I enjoyed this a lot more than what Hollywood has been churning out for the last year or so.
I did not see that plot twist coming either!

8/10.

Soldato
Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe - 2/10

The original two movies are a guilty pleasure and I will happily slap the discs in if I'm stuck for something to watch. But this abomination though, well the less said about this the better. People were getting hacked and sliced with swords and other melee weapons and yet the only drop of blood in the entire movie was the McGuffin required to open the DNA lock. The only reason it's got the 2/10 is because of Samara Weaving in skin tight clothes and with red hair.

Caporegime
Elephant. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363589/

I wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised. Quite a clever series of edits that bring the story forward.

The Insider. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140352/

Tempted by this as I like Michael Mann films and have also routinely enjoyed Pacino and Crowe's performances.

Pretty good though I felt it went on a bit too long for me. Well worth checking out, though.

Associate
mother! (2017)

Having watched Requiem For a Dream and Black Swan recently, this is another winner from Darren Aronofsky.

The film is part psychological horror, part love story, part old testament allegory and is also brutally violent in places.

Extra praise for the sound design, which definitely deserves to be listen to though a surround sound system. It really enhances the experience and is almost essential to the film as it has no musical score to build tension and atmosphere.

8.5/10

Thanks...good film first time watched & enjoyed 8/10

Soldato
Boss Level - 9/10

Under the radar this one, showing on Amazon Prime, no disc release yet AFAIK.
Essentially another take on the Groundhog Day/Looper theme but with a bit of Gamer thrown in. Laced with black humour and deliciously violent, only really let down by the ending which elicited an, “okay, and?”, response from me and the missus.

Soldato
The Suicide Squad 2021 - fell asleep halfway through and it's rare for me to do that. Will try again tonight!

Lock Stock - 8/10. Some great lines and a clever plot, showing its age now though.

Back
Top Bottom