outdoor enclosure

Soldato
Hi, looking for some advice here if possible please, I purchased and set up a standard off the shelf outdoor cat enclosure (a catIo / cat run), which I set-up to the side of my house, I have an extension at the front/side of my home for over 20 years, this enclosure sits behind the extension and basically at the back door area, my indoor cats come out of the back door and directly into the enclosure. It's approximately 1m away from my and the neighbours fence (which is 6 foot tall with 1 foot trellis ontop - 7 foot total height).

One of these units -https://www.4mypet.co.uk/large-catio-cat-run-12ft-x-6ft-x-8ft-tall

looks similar to this when set up:

WGJV3877-750x750.jpg

This is not a fixed structure like the custom ones you see online, no base, no bricks no foundation, just a wooden one like above and sits on the ground (in my case concrete) with a couple of through bolts to keep it stable. Prior to getting this I spoke to the neighbour (between us) and he didn't have any objections in fact he offered to help me put this up when it arrived. This is not visible from the road or anyone else except this neighbour next to my property.

Fast forward a month later it finally arrived and the neighbour (owner) is on holiday, I put this up with a friend and the cats are enjoy using this daily. Surprisingly I received an email from city council advising "a neighbour" has made a complaint for this "unauthorised side extension" essentially to have this taken down within 28 as I didn't seek planning permission. The email goes on to say you can sought out a retrospective planning application but it will unlikely be approved being in an conservation area.

There's another person living with the neighbour and it turns out he is the one who put the complaint in, this is a person who I've known for a number of years BTW and not had any issues with. I spoke to him briefly when I saw him outside one day and admitted he put a complaint in because he just doesn't like it. He can probably see 1 foot of the top of it over the fence. He didn't bother speaking to me at all about this but put a complaint in and they can deal with it with myself.

I did check with the supplier who advised this is not an extension or outhouse as it is not a fixed structure, it's a similar classification to a shed if anything.

I did call the owner who is still on holiday but he was reluctant to speak about it as he is still on holiday.

I wouldn't have thought to get planning permission for this type of enclosure. Funnily the shed it replaced was of similar size and 6.5 foot at the point.

I did some research into this and it meets the criteria of height, total area etc, also this is not affecting any wildlife etc (it's on concrete surface) or loss of character of the area etc.. it is not visible from the front or side roads.

I will speak to solicitors about this next week, I'm assuming the best way forward is to have city council to have an inspector out to complete their due diligence?

Has anyone had a similar experience such as this? and can advise on the best way forward please.

Also the only form of communication I have received is an email which I am guessing the neighbour gave, is this how communication is done nowadays? I would have thought I would have received an official letter at least.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I built a catio for our two cats a few months ago and they love it. Its 6'x8' and sits against the conservatory. It was going to sit up against the kitchen window to let them in and out, but I decided it was best to have it against the conservatory double doors for easy access. It wasn't the easiest, making it fit the side of the conservatory. And the roof needed a bit of thinking to do its job. But its turned out all right.

I would not of even thought about any neighbours having an issue with it, and I cant see how anything could be enforced for such a structure, surely an 'extension' would describe something that was liveable? It effectively has no walls, but I'm no expert.

Soldato
I will speak to solicitors about this next week
Why not just speak to the planning dept.? If that was a legit email there's presumably contact information provided?

If what you have is really as innocuous as what you've pictured I can't see planning permission being an issue (assuming it isn't a conservation area or something).

Soldato
In my opinion, the person could have laid it out in their complaint that it's an "extension", and may not have sent photos of it. In that case, if the planning officer may be simply going along with it with no visual evidence as such with a template email about retrospective planning, etc.

As said above, you dont nees to get a solicitor involved. Speak to the planning officer and explain what it is.

If they do argue and prove it's a "structure", then I would adapt the catio such that it might fall under permitted development, especially as you've already looked into the rules.

Either way, keep updating. I have considered a catio for my cat in future.

Soldato
OP
Why not just speak to the planning dept.? If that was a legit email there's presumably contact information provided?

If what you have is really as innocuous as what you've pictured I can't see planning permission being an issue (assuming it isn't a conservation area or something).

he mentioned in the conversation that he spoke to "his friend" at the city council and sent him pictures and raised a complaint

yeah it is off the shelf exactly like in the picture, it is in a conservation area as mentioned in the op

Last edited:
Soldato
Conservation area

You might want to look at what you can and can't do in the conservation area as their planning rules go over and above the planning ones which is why it's probably been picked up?

Soldato
Id rather you have that monstrosity than having filthy cats walking around freely poohing in everyone else's gardens.

Cant see it needing planning permission either as its not a permanent structure.

Associate
Id rather you have that monstrosity than having filthy cats walking around freely poohing in everyone else's gardens.

Cant see it needing planning permission either as its not a permanent structure.

Was just about to say this, in my view you have done the responsible thing and keeping control of your pets, as above the other option is said neighbour puts up with your cats freely roaming and defecating in their garden, that no doubt they would also complain about.

We have a cat as well and our neighbour had a chat with me a few weeks ago, apparently ours has been using their very well preened garden as her toilet - obviously I was apologetic and have since been keeping her in until she has used the litter box to minimise the chance of this (rather than just letting her out as soon as we get up).

Caporegime
So, are you actually in a conservation area? Or is that just what the email says?

Just stick up a shed and remove the sides with mesh, doing nothing wrong then....people are such prats these days

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, I will call them Monday and speak to the TL and discuss briefly.

Yep we're in a conservation area, is there anything to say what the rules are for a conservation area, I can't find anything specific for any of the conservation areas locally except usual blurb that there "may" be restrictions but not what specifically the restrictions are.

And good point about being a responsible pet owner.

Associate
In no way does that require planning permission :D If they / your neighbours decide to kick up a fuss, pop some wheels on it, the the base sits just a few mm off the floor. Thus you have a movable structure not at the mercy of any conditions. Even if you never ever move it!

Soldato
In no way does that require planning permission :D If they / your neighbours decide to kick up a fuss, pop some wheels on it, the the base sits just a few mm off the floor. Thus you have a movable structure not at the mercy of any conditions. Even if you never ever move it!
And of course the wheels will make it a couple of inches higher, so even more visible to the git next door :D

Soldato
OP
so I written to the planning team manager indicating why I believe this is not an extension and it's not a fixed structure they replied in the spoiler (snippet of it):

info.jpg

Soldato
Seems like if you made it a free standing structure, away from the house with some sort of mesh tube going to it from a cat flap, it would satisfy the regulations no.

Soldato
Remove the bolts and instead add some sort of latches. If they ever come to view it, unhook the structure and move it. When they clear off, put it back and secure it again. The guy from the council seems like a prat, how is that anything like an extension.

Associate
I'd be writing to my MP and local papers with that response. How ridiculous.

But as others suggested, you could mesh the back side, move it a short distance from your house and construct a temporary tunnel from the cat flap, couldn't you?

Back
Top Bottom