• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 FE RMA opinion?

Associate
Hi Folks,

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 3090 FE for MSRP.

Initially I was really happy as coming from a 1080ti is was a big jump in performance. But I noticed in some RTX titles (Quake RTX) that the card quickly became akin to a leaf blower with the fans ramping up to 100%. A quick Google search revealed that this was probably due to the temperature of the VRAM.

Many recommended replacing the thermal pads which I am not keen to undertake. However I found that by exerting upward force on the cooling shroud the temperatures and fan speed dramatically reduce. It would appear that the cooler and VRAM are not making enough contact without the upward force.

I have now made a Lego tower to support the GPU and keep the cooler in contact with the VRAM and now the fan rarely goes above 60 - 70% which is much more in line with expectations.

However to have paid £1,400 for a GPU that needs a Lego prop is not ideal. I asked the retailer if this was acceptable and they didn't comment, but rather started the RMA process. I certainly don't want to go and send this card back if this is normal, and then at best get a replacement that does exactly the same thing, or at worst be stuck with no card for however long.

The card is great, and with my Lego mod it is nice and quiet, but my OCD has me annoyed that I may have a duff card. What is your opinion. Keep it, or send it back?

shDf0oi.jpg

Associate
Foounders cards seem to be a bit hit and miss with the cooling in my experience. I tried an FE 3090 for a couple of weeks and it was relativly quiet under load, but my 3080Ti FE ramped up to 3500 RPM under the slightest load to keep at 70 degrees. I ended up water blocking it anyway but if I had kept the stock cooler I would have ended up going the RMA route same as you. With the price of these cards there is no excuse for not applying the pads correctly IMO.

Caporegime
Do you ever plan to sell it in the future? If so I would RMA as you would be obligated to inform the next buyer of this issue. £1400 is a lot of money for something that needs user intervention to perform as intended.

If it was just a case of changing thermal paste I'd not bother, but this appears to be a mount/quality control issue.

If you can live without a GPU for a week or two, I'd replace it seeing as it won't cost you anything.

Soldato
Fellow 3090fe owner here. I don’t have this issue (fans never go past 60-70 per cent even in quake rtx demo) but I do undervolt mine and use modest clocks anyway as I like to run cool n quiet as possible. VRAM gets to about 98 degrees though in quake rtx, even with undervolting.

And from extensive testing I lose about 5 FPS vs over clocking and running hot (in most games). Not worth worrying about.

I would rma if I were you. £1400 is a lot of money to have to build a Lego prop. Though props to your prop, good thinking!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just RMA it and explain what you explained here should be no issue getting replacement for what it costs you shouldn't be having to live with that maybe without card for few weeks but will be better of in the long term

I recently returned 3080fe for excessive coil whine and they agreed it was too much and awaiting replacement and dealt with everything great and arranged collection

Caporegime
Most likely GPU sag or he's forcing the thermal pads to touch the gddr6x as they have poor positioning or contact.

Personally I'd leave it until supply is no longer an issue. Chances are that you will be waiting weeks for a replacement.

Do you have another card to use in the mean time? If not wait 6 months then RMA it. It's not as if you cannot use it currently as is.

Associate
OP
Most likely GPU sag or he's forcing the thermal pads to touch the gddr6x as they have poor positioning or contact.

Personally I'd leave it until supply is no longer an issue. Chances are that you will be waiting weeks for a replacement.

Do you have another card to use in the mean time? If not wait 6 months then RMA it. It's not as if you cannot use it currently as is.

Yeah this is where I am at. Pretty sure it's gpu sag, and although I have a 1080ti, it took me long enough to get the 3090 so I would rather enjoy it than deal with an open ended rma process.

Caporegime
Yeah this is where I am at. Pretty sure it's gpu sag, and although I have a 1080ti, it took me long enough to get the 3090 so I would rather enjoy it than deal with an open ended rma process.

Just wait it out man. If you send it for RMA right now you could be waiting for months even, weeks would be good case scenario.

Soldato
Nvidia drop the 3090 every few weeks so can't see it being months it's the most dropped card

I know 2 others who have RMA the 3090 one took 3 weeks that was few months back while another recently took 5 days this isn't the AIB partner cards which could take months

Soldato
Have you tried laying the PC on it's side? This will take the stress off the slot and card. The GPU will sit nice and square, with no external stress.

You need to determine if your lego is just helping the GPU sit level or if it's using gravity/tension/ pressure to apply contact force due to poor internal assembly. Ie a faulty GPU.

The 3090fe is a big heavy card. I've got a stand supporting my 3090fe. (Cheap from the rain forest)

Even though it's secured with the backplate screws, and the motherboard slot is strengthened, I still use a support. I set it to the correct level with the PC case laid on its side, before turning it upright.

Associate
OP
Have you tried laying the PC on it's side? This will take the stress off the slot and card. The GPU will sit nice and square, with no external stress.

You need to determine if your lego is just helping the GPU sit level or if it's using gravity/tension/ pressure to apply contact force due to poor internal assembly. Ie a faulty GPU.

The 3090fe is a big heavy card. I've got a stand supporting my 3090fe. (Cheap from the rain forest)

Even though it's secured with the backplate screws, and the motherboard slot is strengthened, I still use a support. I set it to the correct level with the PC case laid on its side, before turning it upright.

Without a doubt it sags without the support which in turn leads to the fan running at 100%. With the support in place the improvement is instantaneous and the fan reduces to 60%. The positioning of the support does result in different temp drops. If positioned under the Vram it will drop more than if at the end of the card, but both lead to very good improvements. Is this a RMA worthy reason though, or likely to receive another card with exactly the same issue.

Soldato
So would I be right in saying, the case/ motherboard slot configuration is not fully supporting the weight of the 3090 and causing it to sag/ flex under its own weight?

If so, a warranty replacement isn't going to fix that, you just need adequate support which you've done.

There is a thread on here, with lots of people using all sorts of methods to combat gpu sag. Your not the first person to use Lego :D

Associate
OP
So would I be right in saying, the case/ motherboard slot configuration is not fully supporting the weight of the 3090 and causing it to sag/ flex under its own weight?

If so, a warranty replacement isn't going to fix that, you just need adequate support which you've done.

There is a thread on here, with lots of people using all sorts of methods to combat gpu sag. Your not the first person to use Lego :D

I think it is the sheer weight making it sag.

I have heard of the sag issue, but more from a cosmetic POV, never a situation where it actually affects performance as in this case, hence my concern

Soldato
I think it is the sheer weight making it sag.

I have heard of the sag issue, but more from a cosmetic POV, never a situation where it actually affects performance as in this case, hence my concern

Understandable, but there's not many GPUs out there the size and weight of the 3090fe, or the pcb/ cooler design. Makes it quite unique.

Back
Top Bottom