• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Associate
Despite Nvidia's record figures the share price dropped over fears of oversupply in the GPU market in the coming months. Nvidia will be reducing production if they want to artificially keep prices high and availability low due to the end of the crypto boom. Pretty much all cards are in stock somewhere even if retailers are still charging scalper prices. If there's a shortage of Nvidia cards next year that will be due to Nvidia restricting supply NOT excessive demand.

Soldato
Despite Nvidia's record figures the share price dropped over fears of oversupply in the GPU market in the coming months. Nvidia will be reducing production if they want to artificially keep prices high and availability low due to the end of the crypto boom. Pretty much all cards are in stock somewhere even if retailers are still charging scalper prices. If there's a shortage of Nvidia cards next year that will be due to Nvidia restricting supply NOT excessive demand.

Yes I say them stating their share prices were dropping in the video below regarding maybe oversupply in the future, but I think they learned their mistakes before with the 2000 series, but pure luck made even them sell out this time round too due to the mining again, I'm sure they will just EOL things early this time or make sure as you said just reduce availability before new series gets introduced and in one way the chip/components shortage will probably help them by having less stock available in the first place.

Then we have to get ready for their silly prices for sure next time with the 4000 series as these will not be cheap and they will not be making the pricing mistakes as they did with the 3080 and 3090 again, if there is even a 4090 next time as that has caused them a headache due to people using them in workstations and servers where they really wanted to sell the A-series to them customers as they are basically the quadro cards aimed at them but many customers don't need the quadro drivers clearly, then the AIBs annoyed nvidia by making the blower 3090s for dense systems with many cards and of course they banned them in the end making them as they were used in very dense servers/workstations.

Soldato
"Despite these shortages, NVIDIA still hit record profits this past quarter—$6.51 billion"
shortages! who is kidding who here :p

is there a shortage or did they just sell a massive amount of them to miners, scalpers and gaming cafe businesses and not to actual gamers.

Associate
Jaguar warning of car shortage due to lack of 'chips'.

2000+ lost jobs earlier this year and here you all are, whinging about being able to play computer games.

That obviously doesn't apply to me though, I work in I.T so I have have to have new shiny parts.. it's my job. Feel so sorry for the executives that will not be able to upgrade to the latest jaguar model this year.

:confused::confused:

Soldato
There's so much talk of a "shortage" but Nvidia's sales numbers look normal. They actually sold more GPU's than last gen. The GPU's are definitely out there somewhere. But where?

We know that a lot are being used for mining.
There's also far more gamers due to lockdown boredom.

How can it take until the end of 2022 for supply and demand to reach equilibrium if the factories are making GPUs at the normal rate (according to sales figures)? If mining is going away, where is the demand coming from?

I guess it's partly because some people skipped last gen which put extra demand on this gen? That can't fully explain it though.

Last edited:
Associate
There's so much talk of a "shortage" but Nvidia's sales numbers look normal. They actually sold more GPU's than last gen. The GPU's are definitely out there somewhere. But where?

We know that a lot are being used for mining.
There's also far more gamers due to lockdown boredom.

How can it take until the end of 2022 for supply and demand to reach equilibrium if the factories are making GPUs at the normal rate (according to sales figures)? If mining is going away, where is the demand coming from?

I guess it's partly because some people skipped last gen which put extra demand on this gen? That can't fully explain it though.

At least Taiwan chip supply has been seriously disrupted due to worst draught in decades, so it's not all about just sales figures.

Back
Top Bottom