Hot water for salon, no gas.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looking at a premises for my wife's salon, it has no gas. We would need hot water for 2 backwash which would run quite often. There would also be 3 sinks that need hot water too, these would run quite infrequent.

I'm not familiar with what options are common when you don't need central heating and just need hot water heated by electric. Am I right in thinking this would be a immersion cylinder?

Soldato
I'd imagine you're best installing an electric boiler. Are you sure you wouldn't need central heating as well. Might feel differently when it's -5 outside.

I don't think an immersion cylinder would be suitable. They heat up pretty slowly, and are very inefficient. So if you use all the water on one client - it'll be a while before you've got hot water again.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
From my limited reading an electric boiler may not have power to supply 2 backwash (shower heads) at the same time.

Heating will be handled separately, we haven't decided what to use yet (under floor heating, A/C, electric rads, etc).

I am looking whether it is feasible to bring gas into the premises, there is a restaurant a couple doors down which will have it so I know it's out there somewhere :p

Soldato
I'd imagine you're best installing an electric boiler. Are you sure you wouldn't need central heating as well. Might feel differently when it's -5 outside.

I don't think an immersion cylinder would be suitable. They heat up pretty slowly, and are very inefficient. So if you use all the water on one client - it'll be a while before you've got hot water again.

It would depend on how large the immersion cylinder is. A 300 litre one heating up using off-peak electricity might well prove more efficient to run than on-demand boilers using peak rate electricity.

Soldato
It would depend on how large the immersion cylinder is. A 300 litre one heating up using off-peak electricity might well prove more efficient to run than on-demand boilers using peak rate electricity.
True. Although that's assuming an economy 7 tariff is available, and if it's getting constant use during the day, it'll have to be working then as well. Most 'off peak' tariffs I've seen have a higher daytime tariff to compensate.

Tea Drinker
Don
Just get decent instant pumped hot water showers fixed under the sinks using the hand attachments. A few or couple of systems would be better than one of it fails.

Don’t cheap out they are an integral part of the salon. I’d fix on one manufacturer and ask them to specify. Someone like aqualisa?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Just get decent instant pumped hot water showers fixed under the sinks using the hand attachments. A few or couple of systems would be better than one of it fails.

Don’t cheap out they are an integral part of the salon. I’d fix on one manufacturer and ask them to specify. Someone like aqualisa?

I'll look into the instant heaters, ideally we would want this away from the backwash stations as the noise is intrusive. There will be a partition wall directly behind them so maybe it could be located there. Definitely no intention of cutting costs, just need to find the right solution.

Do the premises have any land? Would there be space for oil storage and have an oil fueled boiler (as many people outside of gas supplies do)?

It's on a high street so not really.

Tea Drinker
Don
I'll look into the instant heaters, ideally we would want this away from the backwash stations as the noise is intrusive. There will be a partition wall directly behind them so maybe it could be located there. Definitely no intention of cutting costs, just need to find the right solution.

It's on a high street so not really.

Something like an aqualisa quartz with the remote control. The pump can be miles away and the head near with the controls in front of you. Noise would be almost none.

If sinks are side by side you could share an output.

We’ve had one now 12 years in our house still going strong, would buy another tomorrow if needed.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Something like an aqualisa quartz with the remote control. The pump can be miles away and the head near with the controls in front of you. Noise would be almost none.

If sinks are side by side you could share an output.

We’ve had one now 12 years in our house still going strong, would buy another tomorrow if needed.

The basins come with their own shower configuration so whatever system we use it would need to provide a hot water output.

This is the backwash:

LKzwifS.png

I have seen instant hot water systems that work without a pump and can be located away from any stations e.g. https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/stiebel-eltron-dce-x-6-8-premium-instantaneous-water-heater/

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
The basins come with their own shower configuration so whatever system we use it would need to provide a hot water output.

This is the backwash:

I have seen instant hot water systems that work without a pump and can be located away from any stations e.g. https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/stiebel-eltron-dce-x-6-8-premium-instantaneous-water-heater/

If you’re not pumping or providing storage you’ll need to check your water pressure. Think they only promise 1 bar at the property entrance which is enough to fill a loft tank. Most have plenty more.

You don’t want to fight each other over water pressure.

Good luck with the salon good for you both :)

Soldato
We’ve ran a hair salon for a good few years, we run normal wall mounted electric shower units behind the backwashes. No need to use the tap that comes with the backwash.

Toilet sink staff sink we use an under sink electric water heater something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-sink...id=1629488337&sprefix=undersink+water&sr=8-22

This.
A friend of mine has ran a salon for many years, and always uses wall mounted domestic electric showers for each wash station, relatively cheap, easy to install. And if one goes down, it doesnt affect the others, just pop to screwfix and get another one. He uses Mira Sport units.

Soldato
If you're going to be installing multiple electric showers you need to check what size the supply is. If it's basically a domestic single phase supply then you may have problems using multiple electric showers at once.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
If you're going to be installing multiple electric showers you need to check what size the supply is. If it's basically a domestic single phase supply then you may have problems using multiple electric showers at once.

Honestly I won’t be going the electric shower route. I’m going to explore an inline instant heater, need to speak to a plumber.

Associate
Hi did you get sorted my old salon had 3x electric showers but I’ve now moved and the instant heater to warm up one sink and hand wash sink keeps failing so looking for ideas

Back
Top Bottom