Clothes - how old is too old?

Soldato
I have clothes older than my oldest child (she is 15)...

I buy clothes when I need to i.e its warn out, its a waste to purchase for a sake of it, yet another part of the throw away culture we have become.

Soldato
This thread got me to thinking, so had a dig around in the 'wardrobe overflow' boxes in the attic and am currently sat here in a Xentrix tour t-shirt I got back in '90. :D

For those who are interested, the support band were Cerebral Fix - one of the best English thrash bands out there.

Soldato
Im not into "Fashion" and i look after my clothes the best i can, so i only have to buy new ones as a last resort, pretty sure i have a couple of jumpers and t shirts that are going on 20 years old, that i still wear

Man of Honour
I feel like a lot of clothes now days dont last as long as older clothes used to as they so thin. Kind of planned obsolesce clothes variant.

Definitely - several brands of jeans I used to buy and would last 5+ years you can tell are thinner and start wearing through in places after a year. I'm dreading if Wrangler quality goes downhill.

Caporegime
Im not into "Fashion" and i look after my clothes the best i can, so i only have to buy new ones as a last resort, pretty sure i have a couple of jumpers and t shirts that are going on 20 years old, that i still wear

There is only so much looking after you can do.

If you are wearing these regularly there is no way you should be wearing them out in public.

Caporegime
How do you know something you've not seen...

20 years old t shirts worn regularly?

Do I really need to see it?

The best I have ever found were older Calvin Klein stuff. The new ones are crap but there was no way they would last longer than a couple of years with regular use. The new stuff lasts 6-9 months.

Regular means at least once a week or so. There is just no way a t shirt will last 20 years and still look okay. Unless you are using some sort of special cleaning method.

Associate
I'm lucky to get more than a year out of T shirts, usually way less. That's anything from sainsburys own brand stuff, up to all saints.

Jeans I tend to replace every year or two at most. I usually just buy stretch skinny jeans or decent slim fit ones and try and wash them as little as possible. It's been a while since I've bought a decent pair of jeans though, so it's mainly been Next or similar.

I tend to change jumpers / knitwear every year, mainly due to different styles and trends that come and go. Overshirts / coats etc I can go 3+ years and only usually replace due to wanting something new

Funnily enough I've only bought 2 pairs of trainers since the first lockdown, whereas on a normal year I'd probably buy 6 or 7 pairs.

What do you do with all the old ones? Or is your house basically just a fabric warehouse :D?

Soldato
This thread got me to thinking, so had a dig around in the 'wardrobe overflow' boxes in the attic and am currently sat here in a Xentrix tour t-shirt I got back in '90. :D

For those who are interested, the support band were Cerebral Fix - one of the best English thrash bands out there.

I occasionally wear a CroMags long sleeve tour shirt that has to be at least 25 years old.

My Slayer Reign In Blood tour shirt is, sadly, beyond wearable.

Soldato
20 years old t shirts worn regularly?

Do I really need to see it?

The best I have ever found were older Calvin Klein stuff. The new ones are crap but there was no way they would last longer than a couple of years with regular use. The new stuff lasts 6-9 months.

Regular means at least once a week or so. There is just no way a t shirt will last 20 years and still look okay. Unless you are using some sort of special cleaning method.

Did i said how often i wear them? i had more than one t shirt in my life 20 years ago, do you only own one of everthing? My dad is 80 and still has his flares hung up in the wardrobe

Associate
I just did a clearout of clothes for the first time in a couple of years - my stuff and the kids. Have filled 3 large bin bags and embarrassed to say a lot of stuff still had tags on. The charity shop will be delighted but it has really made me rethink my shopping habits. Most of the stuff with the tags were impulse buys or ordered online and didn't return and quite a few gift items that were for the kids that they wouldn't wear.
Have resolved to refrain from buying anything new for the foreseeable and in future try to spend a bit more on quality items that I like and will last.

Caporegime
Did i said how often i wear them? i had more than one t shirt in my life 20 years ago, do you only own one of everthing? My dad is 80 and still has his flares hung up in the wardrobe

So the age doesn't matter it's the usage as I already stated.

It's pointless saying I have a pair of 50 year old socks if these socks are only ever worn on Christmas day.

I'm sure I have a wallet that's 10 years old. Because I've never used it. It's my backup wallet.

Soldato
So the age doesn't matter it's the usage as I already stated.

It's pointless saying I have a pair of 50 year old socks if these socks are only ever worn on Christmas day.

I'm sure I have a wallet that's 10 years old. Because I've never used it. It's my backup wallet.

Title of the thread is, How old is too old......

Not, how often do you wear you clothes....

Soldato
People who don't ever wash their jeans don't realise that they smell because they gradually get used to it - I had a colleague at work like this some years back and it was not good. It's like dog owners, who can't smell that their house stinks of dog. (Disclaimer: I'm a dog owner, I can't smell dog at home or in my car but I fully accept my house and car will smell of dog)

Soldato
People who don't ever wash their jeans don't realise that they smell because they gradually get used to it - I had a colleague at work like this some years back and it was not good. It's like dog owners, who can't smell that their house stinks of dog. (Disclaimer: I'm a dog owner, I can't smell dog at home or in my car but I fully accept my house and car will smell of dog)
Same with those alcoholics - they don’t wash their coats and stink of stale alcohol.

Soldato
The trick is to freeze them rather than wash them.

Back
Top Bottom