• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I found an OCUK scalper...

Associate
Main hesitation is because I know how strict these forums are. I listed a 1080 for what I thought was a half descent price (was a good deal cheaper than what was on auction site) and got banned from mm for profiteering (it was about 20 quid more than what I paid for it IIRC, so a loss after postage).

I was accused of scalping and yeah it indeed feels bad... Esp after community here is so awesome. And rightly so I guess.

Guessing I can't post a pic here or name the marketplace either?
If that's exactly what happened then IMO it's a bit harsh. But equally the scalper you've identified isn't exactly making a giant fortune nor breaking any rules here afaik.

Soldato
I mean, seriously - who cares. If OCUK want to police it and ensure a single card goes to one address or account or something along those lines, then fine.

But to spend time to actively trace someone down for selling some computer parts for a profit. So what. There’s quite a lot of cards out there now, they aren’t as hard to find as they once were.

Soldato
When does this rule on moving on your gpu end? If you paid for a, say, 3080 last September, do you still have to put it on MM at same or below what you paid? Plenty of members will get a great deal if they can snag a 3080 thats 30% cheaper than currently advertised, surely the seller upgrading needs a bit back to take the sting out of the deal?

Associate
I was wondering if it was a guy not too far from me, but don't think it is after a look on FB. The guy near me seems to have sold a hell of a lot of cards and a few consoles. It's only annoying because i want free money too. And as mentioned, if people are too impatient or too loose with their cash, then what can we do? Though ultimately i don't think i'd want the hassle or potentially a guy with his mates turning up at my house demanding money back for whatever reason.

I don't really understand the mentality of buying new high end cards from scalpers, when those people have probably already got a 2070 or better card anyway, which is still plenty fine. It's no wonder prices for everything keep going up, people are just happy to pay it.

Soldato
When does this rule on moving on your gpu end? If you paid for a, say, 3080 last September, do you still have to put it on MM at same or below what you paid? Plenty of members will get a great deal if they can snag a 3080 thats 30% cheaper than currently advertised, surely the seller upgrading needs a bit back to take the sting out of the deal?
Paying more for a card that's had a year of usage than it cost brand new isn't a "great deal" no matter how you try and dress it up. I think it's fair enough that if you want to partake of the relatively safe and secure environment that OcUK provide for sellers (relative to the scammer-filled wasteland of Ebay anyway), you shouldn't be able to take the pee in the process. Nobody's forced to sell anything on here after all. Plenty of other places to go scalp.

Soldato
Paying more for a card that's had a year of usage than it cost brand new isn't a "great deal" no matter how you try and dress it up. I think it's fair enough that if you want to partake of the relatively safe and secure environment that OcUK provide for sellers (relative to the scammer-filled wasteland of Ebay anyway), you shouldn't be able to take the pee in the process. Nobody's forced to sell anything on here after all. Plenty of other places to go scalp.
This is probably why no one ever sells MSRP 3080s on there though and even if they did they would probably be snapped up by the usual buyers.

Soldato
This is probably why no one ever sells MSRP 3080s on there though and even if they did they would probably be snapped up by the usual buyers.
As far as I know you're allowed to sell cards for the same as what you paid for them, so if somebody wants to sell a 3080 on the MM for MSRP then there's nothing stopping them. Of course, people aren't going to do that because they want to profit from the current market conditions. That's fair enough, I don't really care if they do, but lifting the rule of scalping wouldn't benefit people looking for a card here. You might see 3080s on the MM, but they'd be priced the same as they are on Ebay anyway (or certainly not far off it), so there's really no gain for anyone except those who want the extra money but don't want to roll the dice. Buyers are already protected elsewhere, it's selling which is much more desirable to do here thanks to instant payment, no fear of chargebacks and frivolous disputes, etc. In exchange for that you obey the rules as decided upon by OcUK's team. Seems a fair trade to me.

Associate
scalping happens from every single place though and I personally don't see a problem with people wanting to make money, its the fools paying the inflated prices that are the problem, I started with a 3070 fe and someone offered me £1200 for it, you better believe I sold that, I now own a 3060ti I bought from ocuk and have change to spare.
Gpu's are not essential just like consoles but if people want to pay over price for them then let them.

Associate
OP
Well, got an awesome nvme deal on here (1tb crucial p5 nvme for £75, check it out), and not doing anything as, well, jesus his prices are actually, good? Even here 3060's are well over £600... Has the world actually gone mad or what? £600+ gets not a xx60ti, xx70, xx70ti, xx80 or xx80ti we would have got only a few generations ago... We've jumped like 5 price bands.

I can only hope the situation normalises at some point. I'm hoping Intel (sigh) make a wise decision to sell Arc gpus cheap to gain traction in this rather screwed market. I think we all know chances of intel being the heroes are slim, though there is an opportunity for them.

Associate
OP

scalpers are scum

got banned from mm for profiteering
:cry:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
slim but dim

To the few laughing you're only making yourselves look dim tbh, and only people it's "backfired" on is you.
A) read the post: card would have been sold at a loss after postage. (doesn't take a big brain to calculate how "excessive" the pricing could have been). Oops.
B) wouldn't expect everyone to have taught business English as I did for years, but you can Google the word. By the MM term of "profiteering" every retail business in world, including even charities are profiteering. Profiteering is, in fact, more widely used for eg... people selling aids drugs to aids victims at an inflated price during an aids crisis or selling illegal guns to a country, whether or not they forced them into a war.
C) due to the ironic (some might want to google that) reason I'm not naming/shaming anyone.
D) clear to see from this thread alone there's confusion/divided opinion against the mm rule.

Regardless, its not for us to argue who sells what at what price, esp on ocuk; their t's and c's, their shop, their forums, they can call it what they want and price stock as they want.
We don't know what retailers actually paying for these gpus but it must be really, really bad when ocuk seem to be the only people trying to help by doing decent deals and only via MM.

Associate
OP

Get what you're saying but if someone offered you a 3080 fe for say £500, you still wouldn't class that as a deal? Even though those cards are like £1200+ and your £500 wouldn't even get you a 3060 elsewhere?

Hard to discern what a "good deal" is at the moment but I'd be over the moon for a 3080 at rrp, regardless of if used or not. Most of us would, I think?

Soldato
scalping happens from every single place though and I personally don't see a problem with people wanting to make money, its the fools paying the inflated prices that are the problem, I started with a 3070 fe and someone offered me £1200 for it, you better believe I sold that, I now own a 3060ti I bought from ocuk and have change to spare.
Gpu's are not essential just like consoles but if people want to pay over price for them then let them.
Agree with you, nothing wrong with what they are doing. Something is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If some fool wants to pay over the odds for something more fool them, your an idiot if you don't make money when you have the chance, some people are just salty about it.

Associate
OP
Agree with you, nothing wrong with what they are doing. Something is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If some fool wants to pay over the odds for something more fool them, your an idiot if you don't make money when you have the chance, some people are just salty about it.
You're right 86Dan would have been an idiot to turn down £1200 for a 3070 (dude how did you even...), the issue is more with scalping companies/scalpers buying all the stock. It shouldn't be a BUSINESS (because it's literally buying something with the sole intention of ripping someone off), but it is a very lucrative business. By the sound of it, 86dan didn't buy with the intention of ripping someone off (not a scalper then) neither did he rip someone off because they offered him the money, presumably knowing the 'value' of the item and so not been conned.

Bots checking out all the gpus quicker than humans can? Personally, I can't agree that's fair game. But you're right, people shouldn't buy them.

Another example: Everyone hates ticket wardens, but then, people shouldn't park where they shouldn't park right? I got charged £80 to 'park' on a street when my motorbike broke down for 10mins. Didn't WANT to stay on the road, but didn't NEED to go to a side street either. Fair or no?

Back
Top Bottom