• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacement GPU for 1080p gaming?

Associate
My 980ti has just died and I’d really appreciate an opinion or two on what my best option is on a replacement.

I don’t want to upgrade my pc for a couple of years if I can help it, so I was thinking either a 2060 or a 6600XT for gaming at 1080p.
Or I could overpay a bit at the current rates and get a 3060ti that id use in any future computer when the time comes to.

I have:
Asus X99-S mobo (PCIe 3.0 x16 which concerns me about the 6600xt)
i7-5820k cpu

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
The RX6600XT does perform better with PCI-E 4.0,and an RTX3060TI FE at £369 would be a generally faster GPU(especially at higher resolutions and with RRP).

However,despite my view the RX6600XT is a bit overpriced,it does have the advantage of AMD GPUs,seemingly having less CPU overhead on weaker CPUs. It is also closer to an RTX3060TI at 1080p(if you ignore RT),because the 32MB of Infinity Cache seems OK at this resolution.

Associate
Asus X99-S mobo (PCIe 3.0 x16 which concerns me about the 6600xt)
i7-5820k cpu

With nvidia cpu driver overheads, I'd probably go 6600xt even with the pci3 if you intend to stick with the 5820.
The PCI speed loss looks to be about 3% average. Where as I'd *estimate/guess* a bigger loss for a Nvidia card on that CPU. Due to Ethereum mining there are no other AMD card choices right now.

Last edited:
Associate
The best replacement would be hoping to get a 3060ti FE. If you want to get a card asap I would pick up a 6600xt Red Devil as its a good card nearest to MRSP, just don't expect good ray tracing. At least you paid a similar price for a good 5700xt last generation, so the price is more one of stagnation rather than scalping at 2x price. I wouldn't worry that much about the pcie 3 on your current board as you will still see good performance, https://youtu.be/Ln6DVaQ6XTE?t=398

Associate
OP
Thanks for the insight everyone, much appreciated.
I was content with my 980ti so hadn’t been keeping up the latest hardware stuff (which is why I was confused about PCIe4), so it’s all been very helpful!

I’ll be going for a 6600xt :)

Soldato
The 6600XT only has 8x PCIe lanes and it just about saturates them so PCIe 4.0 boards have a slight performance advantage but it's only about 3 or 4%. It's most noticeable in Doom Eternal I think.

Was it really that much of a cost saving to reduce the lanes like that?

Associate
OP
Just want to follow up to say I bought the Red Devil 6600XT and I’m really chuffed with it and the boost in performance it’s given me over my now dead 980ti. Not the time I wanted to upgrade but needs must and I’m enjoying my extra fps!
I’ve overclocked my 5820k to 4.4ghz so hopefully that can plod along for a bit longer.

I was definitely going to buy a 2060 for £400 until I got the replies in this thread so thanks again for the opinions and steering me toward getting better value for my £400ish in this crazy market

Back
Top Bottom