Spitfire

Soldato
Its sunday. Maybe his 7am Sainsbury's delivery was late and he was trying to locate the driver. Couldn't take his motorbike as he's still fixing it and there are roadworks outside his house anyway.

Soldato
We get warbirds flying over quite regularly, Spitfires, Mustangs, occasionally a Catalina, they visit the local airfield. Always a great sight and sound.

Man of Honour
My guitarist works at a firm called Supermarine in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent where he makes Spitfire parts from original drawings, he then goes all around the country fitting them.
He married the bosses daughter.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
That's mad, I saw one being towed on the back of a van about 3 hours ago on my way home, it took the turn off for Coventry so probably not the same one, also its wings were folded up so I'm guessing it was just a life-size model. Still, looked pretty cool :)

Man of Honour
Just saw a spitfire over my house in Hull, did a really cool low level circle right above, highlight of my week, anyone know why it's flying round here? Airshow nearby maybe.

Remembering what my old grandpa used to do in the 1940s, I’d have been
tempted to look up and say, “It’s okay, it’s one of ours.”

Man of Honour
Not a Spitfire but one of the most impressive things I've seen and heard was a Lancaster coming in across the south coast and doing a low level fly by the beach. It sent shivers down my spine.

Man of Honour
Our Spitfire is coming back home and my guitarist is upset he wasn't asked to be a part of it since he works with them every day at Supermarine (the name of Mitchell's factory)..

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/22-photos-moment-iconic-spitfire-5561446

Reginald Mitchell went to Hanley High School which is the same school I attended and we used to have a Spitfire propeller in the foyer.
Sometime in the 80s it was changed to Mitchell High School and now it's knocked down.

Soldato
I live near to RAF Coningsby and the BBMF so am lucky that I get to see Spitfires and Lancasters flying over my house multiple times a year. Was lucky to be given tickets to see the show the other year when the 3 remaining Lancs got together and came to the UK.

One of my long standing friends’ has the only father & son combination to both be Lancaster pilots, John and Mike Chatterton and it was a pleasure at parties to listen to Johns amazing stories from the war. He had a biography written back in 2004 https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781873257371/Ploughshare-Shining-Sword-Biography-John-1873257376/plp

Back
Top Bottom