Moving to Korea

Associate
I'm moving to Korea in the near future. How would you suggest I sort out shipping my pc out there?
Also I am wondering what I should do re:changing my pc's power supply. Thanks

Associate
Can't comment on the shipping, but Korea uses 220v power, so you should just need to buy an adapter or new lead with the correct plug, you won't need a new PSU. The only electronic things that might not work are stuff with motors in, as they are 60hz vs 50 here.

Soldato
I'm moving to Korea in the near future. How would you suggest I sort out shipping my pc out there?
Also I am wondering what I should do re:changing my pc's power supply. Thanks

Stuff it in your suitcase?

I just sold up when I moved to SE Asia. Lugged two heavy ******* suitcases with all my other stuff. The other international moves I've done were all paid for with relocation so not an issue.

Soldato
Can't comment on the shipping, but Korea uses 220v power, so you should just need to buy an adapter or new lead with the correct plug, you won't need a new PSU. The only electronic things that might not work are stuff with motors in, as they are 60hz vs 50 here.

... And don't rely on an alarm clock that runs on mains power else you'll be up a wee bit earlier than expected. :)

Caporegime
I think technically, North and South Korea is still at war as no treaty was signed. In reality, they are not going to do anything because nobody wants an H-Bomb dropped that close to each other.

Don't worry about it, but if they do, there are gas masks and emergency supplies in cabinets at every underground/train stations.

Soldato
I'd live in South Korea.

Probably over the UK to be honest.......

South Korea has compulsory military service of about 18 months+ and after that you are automatically placed on the reserve roster and are obligated to attend 3 days of annual military training for 6 years.

But i imagine since you would probably not understand a word of what they say you would be exempt as a liability lol. That is one hard language and Welsh so im used to an awkward hard language but Korean in on another level

Associate
South Korea has compulsory military service of about 18 months+ and after that you are automatically placed on the reserve roster and are obligated to attend 3 days of annual military training for 6 years.

Surely that's a positive? Teach people how to be responsible.

Caporegime

But i imagine since you would probably not understand a word of what they say you would be exempt as a liability lol. That is one hard language and Welsh so im used to an awkward hard language but Korean in on another level

Don't think that applies for a foreigner.

Actually, Hangul is an easy language, it has an alphabet. Rather than evolved from other languages over the centuries, Hangul was created by scholars to be easy to learn. As originally that region was awash with Chinese influences, being invaded by China lots (hence Japanese is full of Kanji - Chinese characters). Korea still have Chinese characters now and again (you will see it in old shops) but Hangul now is the dominant language.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think that applies for a foreigner.

Actually, Hangul is an easy language, it has an alphabet. Rather than evolved from other languages over the centuries, Hangul was created by scholars to be easy to learn. As originally that region was awash with Chinese influences, being invaded by China lots (hence Japanese is full of Kanji - Chinese characters). Korea still have Chinese characters now and again (you will see it in old shops) but Hangul now is the dominant language.

I'd heard from a Korean chap at work that Korean was indeed very easy to learn. I suppose the difficulty for any westerner comes in the fact that there are going to be very few similarities between a romance language and Korean. You can make all sorts of leaps in logic when speaking French or Spanish, for example, just based on your knowledge of English. That definitely wouldn't work English to Korean!

Associate
try someone like seven seas.
https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/...7Ibvo4a8YMzj2xXVPhPu8BOahwRqoURwaAos_EALw_wcB

I used them when i moved out to thailand. computer, monitors, boxes of books, photo albums etc. each box could be up to 25 kg i think and reasonably priced. was only a couple hundred for the lot and way cheaper that rebuying when abroad at the time.

Shipping costs have gone crazy in the last few years though so I cant say say if it's still worth it now.

Back
Top Bottom