The difference a shroud and separated airflow can make

Soldato
OP
@montymint Nice. I guess for this to work with GPUs they must have a gap at the top to let the hot air out, as that one does. Otherwise exhausting all the hot air through the meagre rear vents might prove difficult. Especially as most heatsinks have sideways instead of lengthwise-oriented fins these days.

If you ever get round to it and remember, I'd be interested in seeing some pics and results.

Soldato
@montymint Nice. I guess for this to work with GPUs they must have a gap at the top to let the hot air out, as that one does. Otherwise exhausting all the hot air through the meagre rear vents might prove difficult. Especially as most heatsinks have sideways instead of lengthwise-oriented fins these days.

If you ever get round to it and remember, I'd be interested in seeing some pics and results.
This would work extremely well with the FE 3080/3090 cards then. Interesting concept that actually works, wonder if in time it will become a more mainstream thing. Only problem is gpu's are all different widths and lengths so its not a 1 size fits all.

Soldato
OP
This would work extremely well with the FE 3080/3090 cards then. Interesting concept that actually works, wonder if in time it will become a more mainstream thing. Only problem is gpu's are all different widths and lengths so its not a 1 size fits all.

Yes I don't think it'll be feasible to mass-produce a one-size-fits-all either. If it takes off in the custom enthusiast arena you can bet some who have 3D printers and are handy with modelling will be uploading files for all sorts of different GPUs, though.

Soldato
Yes I don't think it'll be feasible to mass-produce a one-size-fits-all either. If it takes off in the custom enthusiast arena you can bet some who have 3D printers and are handy with modelling will be uploading files for all sorts of different GPUs, though.
Was thinking this, wouldn't be too difficult to upscale or downscale the model to fit a different product as you wouldn't need to change anything else anyway.

Quite like what he did with the rgb as well to add some flair to the design.

Soldato
OP
Imagine a case which allows bottom fan placements, i.e. PSU in an atypical location (Fractal Torrent springs to mind as one of the few new options for that) and funnelling the air from 2x140s directly and solely to the GPU. I wonder if that would blow what James did in the video out of the water, or if there are diminishing returns.

Soldato
Imagine a case which allows bottom fan placements, i.e. PSU in an atypical location (Fractal Torrent springs to mind as one of the few new options for that) and funnelling the air from 2x140s directly and solely to the GPU. I wonder if that would blow what James did in the video out of the water, or if there are diminishing returns.
You could probably try this in the O11D as well, 3 x 120mm fans at the bottom with a large enough pcie space below the gpu (provided you use the top slot). Bet temps would be pretty cool!

Soldato
Am I the only person that runs ducting from my front > cpu cooler > exhaust? ;)

I did something similar to the video for my PS4 Pro so that the cool air was being drawn/forced from the front.
Ineresting, did you use any velocity stacks to smooth out airflow? Seen a few videos of these being used, like a weird experiment for cooler air as its rushing in at a higher velocity.

Soldato
Ineresting, did you use any velocity stacks to smooth out airflow? Seen a few videos of these being used, like a weird experiment for cooler air as its rushing in at a higher velocity.

I was only joking about the CPU cooler, but in theory I don't see why it wouldn't work. It'd be even easier to control if you had 3/4 of the same fan.

Soldato
With PSU in bottom (as in most tower cases) it's heated exhaust out back will tend to circle up and back in a duct like in video.

Using a duct to draw from bottom vent (some have 2x bottom vents) found in many newer cases would have only cool air flowing into it.

Potential problem is case feet do not raise case enough to give good airflow to bottom vents, but longer feet or blocks under feet increasing gap between case bottom and what it's setting on easily solve this.

Of course PSU shroud in many newer cases would likely need to be removed. Not a big deal even if held in by pop rivets. Just drill off head of rivet and they come right out.

I've done above several times with good results.

All my bulds have all PCIe back slot covers removed. This increases rear vent area thus giving much better front to back airflow around GPU. Just doing this, filling front with good high pressure fans, and blocking any openings not covered by these front fans to stop air they push into case from leaking out front to go in circles.. This makes makes all the air they push into case flow on through case and out back vents. This moves / pushes heated air coming off of GPU back so the cooler air coming from front goes into GPU .. end result of cooler air into cooler means lower temps (at same speed and load). This is because there is almost an exact 1:1 ratio between air temp into cooler and component temp (CPU / GPU). So if air temp entering cooler is 5c cooler so in GPU / CPU it's is cooling. (at same load & fan speed).

Last edited:
Soldato
Ducting and Zones in the PC have been around for years. Most workstations I've ever used have ducting. Old Mac G5 had thermal zones which is the same thing.

Associate
While the RGB in that system is turned up to vomit-inducing speed, I have to respect that he went to the effort to add an RGB logo to the duct.

What I'd like to see is a daring graphics card manufacturer drop all pretense of making a card that fits into any case, and use straight-through airflow, thusly:
all_the_slots.png

At the trivial cost of all the PCIe slots and beyond, this style of cooler would give both better cooling and lower noise than traditional styles of GPU cooler while exhausting all the hot air right out of the case.

Am I the only person that runs ducting from my front > cpu cooler > exhaust? ;)
I've been using ducting for the CPU for a few years. Here's the most recent one: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ducting-case-fan-to-cool-cpu.18916895/

Associate
A few years ago now, I placed my PC under the desk (to gain space) and immediately noticed hotter temps (as the air was circulating around under the desk).
I made a very basic 'duct' from some UPVC square ducting that covers the whole top of the PC (that vents x3 fans for the AIO rad) and pushes the air out of the front (I blanked off the rear, so it can only exhaust at the front).....worked a treat and I am still using it to this day.

I am surprised that you cannot buy such things already tbh.

Back
Top Bottom