Fuji X Series

Soldato
Woot ;)

6181b8fa0b85157fda2bf15939958646.png

Soldato
Looks like I'm joining the Fuji club, wanted to start taking a proper camera with me on hikes and Sony A6000 + 18-135mm seemed like a good and lightweight combo. However, one thing led to another and won an auction at a tasty price for a Fuji X-T2 body.

Spotted someone selling a mint Samyang 85mm/F1.8 locally on Facebook marketplace for a very good price which I picked up this morning and waiting for a "Heavily Used" 16-80mm F/4 from MPB. I'll see how I get on with that, then maybe "downgrade" to 18-55mm F/2.8-4 if it's not a good copy.

Anyone has experience with vintage lenses on the Fuji systems? I still have Pentax 50mm/1.8, 55mm/F1.4 and 200mm/F4 lenses in M42 format from some years ago and K&F adapter looks under £20 so might be fun to play around with.

Associate
Yep, I use some old 1970s Pentax and M42 lenses on my X-T3. No problem if they're fully manual. Becomes a little more complicated if they're electronic aperture or focus, although I get reasonable results with a Canon 70-200/2.8 and a Viltrox adapter.

Bear in mind that the XT 2/3/4 will show up how technically pants older lenses are though!

Soldato
The Tamron for Fuji just launched.

Tamron 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD Lens for Fujifilm X | Wex Photo Video

Not the cheapest but keen to see how well it reviews. Hopefully the first of many from third party companies.
Interesting. I think the price point is probably just about fair.
I imagine this is looking to usurp the 18-135mm on some level and then entice those who found the 70-300 a little out of their budget.

I have been awaiting some good third party lenses for Fuji X Mount however I can't see this replacing either my 16-80 and/or 70-300.

I have owned a couple of these sorts of Tamron Zooms before but to be fair they were more budget range than this. It will be interesting to see the reviews. If Tamron have managed to make a lens that is sharp across its whole range then Fuji will definitely have a fight on their hands. This would almost certainly be a jack of all trades lens to any amateur or hobbyist - especially for landscapes.

Soldato
Yep, I use some old 1970s Pentax and M42 lenses on my X-T3. No problem if they're fully manual. Becomes a little more complicated if they're electronic aperture or focus, although I get reasonable results with a Canon 70-200/2.8 and a Viltrox adapter.

Bear in mind that the XT 2/3/4 will show up how technically pants older lenses are though!

With my photography "skills" I'm not worried about exposing any equipment shortcomings just yet :p

Just a bit of bokeh fun as K&F adapter is around £16, certainly going to be a bit of a learning curve with this X-T2, received it today and already had a bit of fun playing with the Samyang 85mm.

What's E Infinity like these days, am I looking at months or weeks for delivery if I order from them? They have brand new 18-55mm F2.8-4 for £259 which seems cheaper than second hand market here in the UK and could throw in Samyang 12mm F2 for another £215.

Latter seems pretty popular budget option, especially seeing how I'll be taking this on hikes with me and trying lot of landscape stuff.

Soldato
With my photography "skills" I'm not worried about exposing any equipment shortcomings just yet :p

Just a bit of bokeh fun as K&F adapter is around £16, certainly going to be a bit of a learning curve with this X-T2, received it today and already had a bit of fun playing with the Samyang 85mm.

What's E Infinity like these days, am I looking at months or weeks for delivery if I order from them? They have brand new 18-55mm F2.8-4 for £259 which seems cheaper than second hand market here in the UK and could throw in Samyang 12mm F2 for another £215.

Latter seems pretty popular budget option, especially seeing how I'll be taking this on hikes with me and trying lot of landscape stuff.
They’re still great, my 23mm F2 took 10 days for delivery. :)

Soldato
Feeling a bit like a kid in a candy shop choosing my zoom at the moment, spotted an 18-135mm at a tasty price at my local LCE so might pop in tomorrow to have a look at it before make a final decision.

Although from what I understand, it is one of the weakest lenses in the line up optically, but has WR which might come in handy outdoors since my X-T2 is also weather resistant apparently.

Soldato
Feeling a bit like a kid in a candy shop choosing my zoom at the moment, spotted an 18-135mm at a tasty price at my local LCE so might pop in tomorrow to have a look at it before make a final decision.

Although from what I understand, it is one of the weakest lenses in the line up optically, but has WR which might come in handy outdoors since my X-T2 is also weather resistant apparently.
I’ve not used it however of all the anecdotal evidence I’ve read over the years from forums etc I can only recall positive comments about this lens.
On paper it’s far from Fuji’s sexiest lens and, generally, these sorts of wide-telephoto zooms always have compromises somewhere users generally only have good things to say about it.

Soldato
I’ve not used it however of all the anecdotal evidence I’ve read over the years from forums etc I can only recall positive comments about this lens.
On paper it’s far from Fuji’s sexiest lens and, generally, these sorts of wide-telephoto zooms always have compromises somewhere users generally only have good things to say about it.

Yeah think I'm already getting carried away and having that paralysis by analysis, original plan was to get 18-135mm lens with Sony and I'll do exactly the same now since I got the Fuji. I have a weather resistant and versatile combo that way and can just start getting out there.

If I actually start to enjoy shooting with a camera and start getting better at it, I can start thinking about other more expensive lenses and/or primes.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So after having just the X100V for a little while and returning it I was without a camera. Then my wife says I need to get a camera for our sons 6th birthday. So I have an X-E4 and the new 33mm 1.4 en-route. Will need a thumb rest for sure.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OOh lovely. Perfectly portable too!

Yea shouldn't be too bad, I was tempted by the 35 f2 but I find that inside during the colder months even f2 isn't quite enough, so I went for the 1.4. I've had the 35 1.4 and I liked it but I didn't like it's AF system.

It may feel a little chonky on the X-E4, but I think I thumb grip should help there.

Soldato
I've had the 16mm F1.4 now for a while and I don't know if I'm not using it correctly but I'm just unimpressed. The focus seems to misfire all the time. It constantly lets me down with portrait work but even for landscapes it will sometimes completely miss the focus.

By contrast the 23mm F2 I've had for donkeys years is rock solid. Literally every image I take on it seems to be perfect.

Basically when the 16mm gets the focus right, the images are mind blowing but it's just completely unreliable especially as a POS lens when you had the camera to someone else at weddings etc. Could it just be it is going too wide most of the time and I'm just not used to that?

Back
Top Bottom