Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I'm worried about an upcoming crash.

As long as you are investing in stocks with conviction and happy to leave everything be if it does happen, then you'll be fine. The markets have a funny way of taking money away from the impatient and transferring it to the patient is how I look at it.

Also on another note - I discovered a new competitor to Nutmeg/Wealthify today - InvestEngine. Seems a little too good to be true their signup offer, but checking them out on companies house, they seem to be sat on a decent cash pile, so it might simply be to get their name out there by dangling a big carrot.

Essentially £75 bonus added for a £100 deposit, and they will manage a basket of ETFs for you, at 0.25% a year.

Soldato
An impossibly broad question, if I may.

What immediate impact does Government financial support / intervention have on a companies share price? (past examples?)

I'm talking like a too big to fail bail out scenario.

Soldato
Its Natwest now, they'd like to forget what an epic fail RBS was. Gov owns the majority of shares, its a light touch if anything for the sake of appearing successful
majority state-owned British banking and insurance holding company

The government, as of May 2021, holds and manages a 54.8% stake through UK Government Investments.

I can remember Natwest making 2bn a year in the 90's very profitable. All of banking is in fear of rising FED rates, the QE taper etc.

Soldato
Its Natwest now, they'd like to forget what an epic fail RBS was. Gov owns the majority of shares, its a light touch if anything for the sake of appearing successful

I can remember Natwest making 2bn a year in the 90's very profitable. All of banking is in fear of rising FED rates, the QE taper etc.

Epic fail is a bit misleading. They made some silly decisions, but as did everyone else. Which is why legislation was brought in here anyhow, of course not in the US.

I mean the whole monthly staff raffle for a brand new car was stupid :cry::D

They do still make those numbers - if not more these days. This year might be even bigger.

Soldato
I got twitchy and have placed a sell order on 90% of my investments. I can't describe fully what has spooked me - it is quite honestly a gut feeling, coupled with a likely need to spend some of it in the next 1-2 years. The talk of slowing/stopping QE is a worry.

Soldato
In effect you are buying cash, bullish sterling then. If rates are rising above inflation thats a fair take, I think we do ok vs Dollar

Have some allocation to gold and you are in the cash standards prior to 1971 and the current QE circus. I don't think there's any choice that's all correct at the moment, stocks react to inflation but doesn't mean they are more valuable so its hard to judge.
Hard to say what people should do trading wise but I dont see a problem averaging into the market over years, I certainly expect volatility but also currency weakness.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone here holding KISTOS?

It's already went up 40% the last few months and 100% since it's inception which wasn't that long ago (less than a year).

Had you invested £25K in his previous company 5 years later you would have £1 million in the bank. I'm not saying that will happen again as past history doesn't represent future returns. To give you a bit of background information the company holds an interest in low operating costs and low overheads gas fields just off the coast of the Netherlands. Now these are mainly unmanned operations and therefore very profitable and first of it's kind really where he's bringing a lot of value of these especially since gas prices have doubled in the past year. Up 50% just a month or two back.

Below is blurb from the official site and some youtube interviews below with the latest I have embedded. I was just tipped off to this by a pro trader who has made significant sums in the past year alone we are talking 400% plus. I was just wondering if anyone had some insights into this before I invest?

Generate Value through Operational Improvements
Kistos is a trading company that has been established with the objective of creating value for its investors through the acquisition and management of companies or businesses in the energy sector.

“Kistos” (Greek) is a genus of flowering plants in the rockrose family “Cistaceae”, containing about 20 species (Ellul et al. 2002). They are perennial shrubs found on dry or rocky soils. With the Kistos genus being hardy plants, the Board considers the Company’s name to be reflective of the principles underlying its Investing Policy and strategy.

The Company will be led by Andrew Austin in his role as Interim Cheif Executive Officer, and Richard Benmore, Julie Barlow, and Alan Booth in their roles as non-executive directors. The members of the Board intend to use their extensive collective experience and successful track records in the energy sector to identify and complete acquisitions and generate value through operational improvements.

Andrew Austin

Kistos-Andrew-Austin-.jpg

Andrew Austin
Interim Chief Executive Officer (aged 55)

Mr Austin served as Executive Chairman of RockRose (“RockRose”) from 2016 until 2020, delivering a 42x return to shareholders through a strategy of counter-cyclical acquisitions of legacy / non-core assets in the North Sea and wider UK oil sector.

RockRose was sold to Viaro Energy in August 2020 at a price per share of £18.50, representing a premium to the prevalent share price of 64 per cent.. Prior to RockRose, Andrew jointly founded IGas Energy PLC (“IGas”) in 2004 and developed it to become the leading onshore hydrocarbon producer in the UK, delivering natural gas and crude oil to Britain’s energy market. Andrew left IGas in 2015, having delivered partnerships with Total, GDF and Ineos. Prior to his tenure at IGas, Mr Austin spent six years in management and consulting roles with clean tech companies including Generics Group and Whitfield Solar.

Mr Austin spent 17 years working in investment banking in the City of London with Merrill Lynch, Nomura, Citibank and Barclays Capital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD8dZbhH5yM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKasF9FzgU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYm_IgAg2fQ

The guys resume speaks for itself. Is gas considered a risky investment currently?

Caporegime
The guys resume speaks for itself. Is gas considered a risky investment currently?

It's not so much gas being considered a risky investment rather AIM companies, in general, being risky and especially AIM cash shells!

They've raised money already, if the share price has risen significantly already then you're probably paying quite a hefty premium - what's the current market cap vs how much they raised?

As far as these things go it might well be a decent one/good management team etc.. but is that already priced in somewhat given the premium you'll end up paying to invest at this point post-IPO?

Caporegime
It's not so much gas being considered a risky investment rather AIM companies, in general, being risky and especially AIM cash shells!

They've raised money already, if the share price has risen significantly already then you're probably paying quite a hefty premium - what's the current market cap vs how much they raised?

As far as these things go it might well be a decent one/good management team etc.. but is that already priced in somewhat given the premium you'll end up paying to invest at this point post-IPO?

All valid points but his last company gave a 42 times return in 5 years. If he manages to find more deals and makes them the price will go up again so ideally want to buy in before his next deal.

No idea when that would happen so tempted to throw some money at it and see what happens.

Associate
Why oh why did I sell RR (at a good profit, but now watching it go up further :() Buying back in now feels like FOMO incarnate but part of me is struggling to resist

I've still got around £500 at 92p going to hold these for years and see what happens. Really wish I had got tons more now, hindsight is such a bitch!

Soldato
I've still got around £500 at 92p going to hold these for years and see what happens. Really wish I had got tons more now, hindsight is such a bitch!

I've got my original ~£1000 which i bought around that price, then i piled another £3k in at around 100p through my pension as it's a long term hold for me anyway. Hindsight makes me relieved, although i did worry a little when it dropped into the 80's!

Caporegime
I'm in cine and ezj. So similar pattern to RR. Especially with EZJ.
not really sure why they are climbing. News to me is looking negative about future. Particularly cine.

May be time to get out on that one.

Oh GME price up to its old games again.
Staying away from that

Soldato
I bought during the dip into the 80s then sold at around 111p for a nice profit, after seeing it go to about that level and then drop repeatedly I thought "I'll actually have a go at trading"... more fool me!

Back
Top Bottom