• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
my guess is a different transformer in the power supply. Changing a silicon here and there won’t yield much weight saving or difference but the transformer has the largest weight per sq inch inside.
Unless its all in the base that's changed. I personally would accept a heavy console and a bigger heatsink.

Soldato
I mean, the first revisions of consoles are always "cost downs". Now that often means that they are able to re-negotiate the cost of components that they bought millions of leading up to the launch of the console.
Then in other cases it's a compatible components from another manufacturer. We all now transistors are "dime a dozen" but if another manufacturer is now "dime a two dozen" there is a saving.
But, at the end of the day they are looking to reduce costs - maybe that PSU was originally specified as that was the only one they could get millions of in a hurry and now a much cheaper one is available en mass.

I don't know - there is a lot to be said for getting those first release units where components are probably over-specified for their task and Sony were probably forced to "buy what was available" rather than being able to shop around looking for the cheapest (and possibly with lower tolerance) components that are available now.

Associate
Ordered a digital edition bundle (including extra controller, controller stand and headset) from simplygames which has been despatched arriving tomorrow, already have the disc version although its a bit too loud with an annoying (to me) whine so hoping this one is quieter, ill then either send it back if its not or sell my disc version to a mate or something.

Soldato
So, looking at getting a Playstation. Daughter has a PS4 PRO at her mums.

Want one for when she come to stay with me.

Get PS5 or PS4 pro?
Depends what she's into I guess. If she just wants it for Minecraft or something then I guess a PRO would fit the bill. Personally I wouldn't go backwards but it's up to you and what she wants to play. A PS5 is more future proof is she changes her mind down the road.

Soldato
Thanks for the head’s up, I missed out.
Feel like i’m joining the marathon at the end, hopefully some more will come up soon before more people join the hunt for Christmas!

I was fortunate to get a PS5 at launch but recently struggled to get a graphics card. One of the posters on here recommended downloading discord and following a stock channel that provides alerts and I had a 3070 for a good price within a week. It had PS5 and Xbox alerts as well so that might work for you.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the head’s up, I missed out.
Feel like i’m joining the marathon at the end, hopefully some more will come up soon before more people join the hunt for Christmas!

I made this HTM file which I kept on clicking on all the time - https://www.dmpoole.co.uk/ps5.htm

I then made my browser so it opened up all those pages when I clicked on it and about 3 weeks ago Argos page came up with some available.

If you want a laugh look at the question by Laurence Bullock and his chain problem about 5 posts down :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom