New Alienware Q3 2020

Soldato
You'll get it faster than that. I ordered one late in March and had within a normal time frame, around 3 working days I think it was, give or take a day. The initial timeframe was the end of May!

Agree, got mine in 3 days too

Mine seems to be stuck at Confirmed unfortunately still with an estimated delivery date of 2nd July. Messaged CS to see if they had any more information, and they just said they are working on getting it shipped to my address. Will see what happens. Not in a massive rush either way, but I'm not the most patient person in the world and my F5 button is starting to go see-through :D

Caporegime
Mine seems to be stuck at Confirmed unfortunately still with an estimated delivery date of 2nd July. Messaged CS to see if they had any more information, and they just said they are working on getting it shipped to my address. Will see what happens. Not in a massive rush either way, but I'm not the most patient person in the world and my F5 button is starting to go see-through :D

Mine was still on confirmed when it got delivered. I got an email several hours after I had received it telling me they had dispatched it and it was on its way.

Associate
Mine was still on confirmed when it got delivered. I got an email several hours after I had received it telling me they had dispatched it and it was on its way.

Mine also remained on confirmed the entire time.

To be honest their delivery system isn't the smoothest, with that aggregator (Syncreon is it?) passing it onto DHL and various tracking stages. I mean, it works, but it's not exactly the most comprehensible system. It's more awkward than it needs to be!

I still think you'll get it sooner than you think though. Fingers crossed.

Soldato

Mine also remained on confirmed the entire time.

To be honest their delivery system isn't the smoothest, with that aggregator (Syncreon is it?) passing it onto DHL and various tracking stages. I mean, it works, but it's not exactly the most comprehensible system. It's more awkward than it needs to be!

I still think you'll get it sooner than you think though. Fingers crossed.

Well you guys were right. Ended up receiving it on Friday. I knew my existing monitor wasn't exactly amazing, but dear god putting the two side by side puts it into perspective.

This AW3821DW looks great. No perceivable backlight bleed/IPS glow. No bright/dead pixels either. The number of pixels is still taking some getting used to, but the 3080 can just about drive it to a decent fps.

Need to spend more time getting used to it, but for a smidge over 800 I can't really think of an alternative that would be better for a combined work/play use. :cool:

Associate
Well you guys were right. Ended up receiving it on Friday. I knew my existing monitor wasn't exactly amazing, but dear god putting the two side by side puts it into perspective.

This AW3821DW looks great. No perceivable backlight bleed/IPS glow. No bright/dead pixels either. The number of pixels is still taking some getting used to, but the 3080 can just about drive it to a decent fps.

Need to spend more time getting used to it, but for a smidge over 800 I can't really think of an alternative that would be better for a combined work/play use. :cool:
Glad you got it, it's a lovely monitor for sure. Enjoy!

Caporegime

Lol I did warn you! Their shipping communication is awful but cant fault how quick they send them and just how good the monitor is for the price.

Will tide me over until we get proper FALD 4k screens at 144hz with great HDR and under a grand. So about another 5-6 years going on current form with the industry

Soldato
£800?! What when where! I'd happily snap one up for that.

Ended up being £728 in the end incl all the usual advanced exchange warranty malarky. I'm pretty certain it'll be a good 5 years until something for the same/similar price does anything even marginally better than it. :cool:

Oh and if you're on the fence about it, just buy it. 2 weeks in and I still have no regrets with it.

Soldato
Ended up being £728 in the end incl all the usual advanced exchange warranty malarky. I'm pretty certain it'll be a good 5 years until something for the same/similar price does anything even marginally better than it. :cool:

Oh and if you're on the fence about it, just buy it. 2 weeks in and I still have no regrets with it.
Believe me I’d love to but there’s no way I could justify £1100 for it unfortunately.
I ordered the 34 version for £650 which I can just about live with.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My U2711 is failing, had it for a long time and couldn't imagine not using an IPS so this monitor ticks all my boxes for a modern upgrade. Especially for work (web developer) as working from home means I only have the one screen compared to the two or three I had in my old jobs.

I'll also need a GPU for the gaming PC to run it, but if there's somewhere I can get this for closer to £800 I'd be all over it. Best I can do is 10% off through work discounts.

Soldato
My U2711 is failing, had it for a long time and couldn't imagine not using an IPS so this monitor ticks all my boxes for a modern upgrade. Especially for work (web developer) as working from home means I only have the one screen compared to the two or three I had in my old jobs.

I'll also need a GPU for the gaming PC to run it, but if there's somewhere I can get this for closer to £800 I'd be all over it. Best I can do is 10% off through work discounts.

I had a storm of discounts, but perhaps you have some of them available to you too:
1) Website displayed ex-VAT price as incl. VAT price. Errored when going to buy, however support accepted it.
2) 15% discount with work
3) AMEX £100 cashback
4) The ol' return trick (bit cheeky) to get a final 10% off

Was looking for ages with just 2 and 3, just waiting for the AMEX offer to get closer to expiry before buying. Then 1 happened a few weeks ago.

Associate
Hi all,

I've had my eyes on this monitor for a while now. It seems to have several pros and cons but possibly one of the biggest pros (that barely any other monitor has) for me is the fact that it apparently has a very light coating. As currently I am using a full gloss panel the clarity you get from these can never be matched by a heavily grained coating.
However at the same time I am slightly concerned over the apparent complete abscence of any sRGB clamp. I don't do critical colour work on my pc so I don't mind if the colours aren't true. If a shade of red is slighty more strong is fine as long as it still looks normal in its setting and not as if a unicorn threw up all over the screen. It's obviously a subjective matter to some extend and I tried to see some comparisons from some other monitors where they were side by side comparing the gamuts of an sRGB and a wide gamut monitor and the people for example had a sunburnt tint to them etc but then again that could also be that it wasn't because of being wide gamut but just having a crap colour reproduction.
Sorry if I made this complicated I was just wondering from the people that actually have this monitor how do they find the colours to be and if they are a bit cartoony or still fairly "natural"...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi all,

I've had my eyes on this monitor for a while now. It seems to have several pros and cons but possibly one of the biggest pros (that barely any other monitor has) for me is the fact that it apparently has a very light coating. As currently I am using a full gloss panel the clarity you get from these can never be matched by a heavily grained coating.
However at the same time I am slightly concerned over the apparent complete abscence of any sRGB clamp. I don't do critical colour work on my pc so I don't mind if the colours aren't true. If a shade of red is slighty more strong is fine as long as it still looks normal in its setting and not as if a unicorn threw up all over the screen. It's obviously a subjective matter to some extend and I tried to see some comparisons from some other monitors where they were side by side comparing the gamuts of an sRGB and a wide gamut monitor and the people for example had a sunburnt tint to them etc but then again that could also be that it wasn't because of being wide gamut but just having a crap colour reproduction.
Sorry if I made this complicated I was just wondering from the people that actually have this monitor how do they find the colours to be and if they are a bit cartoony or still fairly "natural"...

I find them fine but I have calibrated my monitor to srgb anyway.

Associate
I find them fine but I have calibrated my monitor to srgb anyway.

It did cross my mind but from what I 've heard most things in windows (i.e games, desktop, video in browsers etc) aren't really colour aware so the calibration wouldn't do anything there. And in that case I thought well might as well keep everything on the same "profile" rather than having it switching from calibrated settings to non depending on what loads up while in windows.

Caporegime
to be fair i get lost sometimes with icm profiles and stuff but it seems to work for me. I cant see any difference in windows colours and the colours when using photoshop on my screen,

The colours do "pop" when i switch on hdr on the monitor and in windows though. That makes the colours in windows look garish and all wrong.

Associate
to be fair i get lost sometimes with icm profiles and stuff but it seems to work for me. I cant see any difference in windows colours and the colours when using photoshop on my screen,

The colours do "pop" when i switch on hdr on the monitor and in windows though. That makes the colours in windows look garish and all wrong.

Yeah, I know that at the end of the day no matter how much I read about it or see pictures (that were taken by a camera, then compressed online and then viewing them on my own monitor) is never gonna trully answer anything. The irony is that for nearly a decade or so I've been using a night filter for my screen which takes most of the blue right out as soon as the sun sets (hence totally inaccurate colours) and I've been 100% perfectly fine with that. :cry:
I'll get the monitor and just take it from there.

As an aside by chance I just came across this on reddit that someone posted. I obviously can't test this myself yet but I don't know if anybody else would find it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/c...gpus/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Apparently a way to force sRGB clamp on the Nvidia cards.

Back
Top Bottom