Is my GPU DEAD?

Associate
I have an old R7 370 AMD graphics card Not been replaced due to cost of GPU at moment
I have recently built a system installed windows but it's showing as using default windows display driver,doesn't show the GPU installed everytime I try to install the driver for the graphics card the system blue screens and won't boot to windows

Windows can't fix the problem and only way to temp fix is to re install windows. Is the graphics card dead? Thanks for your help

Soldato
Full system specs may be helpful to us for giving advice.

As it's a recent build, double checking all connections may be worthwhile.

Trying the card in another machine would be a sure-fire way of knowing if it works or not.

Associate
OP
pc specs are Ryzen 5 3600 b450 f gaming motherboard 16gb ram

dont have another pc to try it in

windows sometimes shows the GPU model but shows cannot update the driver as its corrupted or missing have download the driver from AMD and when it tries to install from the AMD software it blue screens again so back to square one

Associate
OP
had a good look and found what i needed, put fresh thermal paste on the GPU as it looked dry and been there a long time, hasnt changed anything it stil wont boot to windows if the driver is installed for it, pc only works if using basic display driver but cant game using that so need to sort this

Soldato
If you want to try the Legacy Driver, the link can be found in the Release Notes on the driver page GloriousMess posted.

Under the heading "The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 installation package can be downloaded from the following links:".

Man of Honour
had a good look and found what i needed, put fresh thermal paste on the GPU as it looked dry and been there a long time, hasnt changed anything it stil wont boot to windows if the driver is installed for it, pc only works if using basic display driver but cant game using that so need to sort this
I didn't mean the GPU, I meant the PCI-E connector and the hdmi/display ports.

It was never flashed for mining, I assume?

Associate
OP
Hdmi port and PCI looks fine its never been used for mining i did notice my screen went fully fuzzy for 2 seconds a few days ago but then came back but only noticed that windows wasnt showing the GPU when i tried to game as was getting like 3 fps when the game loaded

Soldato
As others have suggested have you tried re-seating the card?

I've myself had a very similar issue to your cuased by a bad GPU/PCI-E connection.

Try the graphics card in the other PCI-E assuming your motherboard has two.

Associate
OP
have tried the card in the other PCI-E Slot and stil the same, windows shows as starting to install the driver you then see the screen go black, the system restarts you ge the first screen then restarts again then you get windows blue screen, the only opions to then to be able to get out of the blue screen loop,is to go into save mode and roll back the driver

Associate
Do any Live Linux bootable USB images actually have a any GPU drivers installed?

The boot a live Linux trick is one of my favourites to answer hardware or software at fault questions.

Can GPU-Z save the card BIOS when the drivers are not installed? If you can read them and save them you can do a CRC compare with the version you should find on TechPowerUp's Video BIOS Collection:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Failing that, if GPU-Z can get any useful info (or HWiNFO etc.) you can see if it matches what is expected for a R7 370.

Associate
Chances are it may indeed be dead, sorry. I had a similar issue with a Radeon X800 many years ago. My system developed a problem where it would BSOD part way through boot. I re-installed Windows and all seemed fine, until I put the GPU driver on - then the problem returned.

Much troubleshooting later I returned it to the retailer under warranty, it was Micro Direct (they are gone now). They put it into a PC and had it boot into Windows, and said it seemed fine. I pointed out that the problem only happened once you put the drivers on - but they refused to take that tiny step there and then, said they would have to book it in for testing - which would take up to 28 days.

29 days later they finally admitted the problem existed, and I got an X850 XT PE in replacement since they no longer sold the X800. The fault could be a hardware issue in some part of the card that just doesn't get used with only the generic VGA driver.

Associate
OP
windows is now says the device isnt conected to the system looks like its dead funds are not great at the moment for a replacement might have to buy used but am not keen on that

Associate
OP
managed to get into windows with the GPU disabled and then used gpu z and it does come up with info and shows the card but not sure what im looking for on there lol does show GPU Clock and memory at 0 mhz but maybe cause its disabled

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well would you belive it since i thought the GPU was dead and nothing to lose i decided to put it in the oven for 10 mins to try re float the solder couldnt see any issues on the board but did it anyway....and the GPU NOW WORKS!

Back
Top Bottom