Clothes - how old is too old?

Man of Honour
How can a tshirt lose its shape? It's a tshirt, the shape is pretty universal isn't it? It's kind of tubular and fits over your kind of tubular torso :p

I'm genuinely curious how you'd decide that a tshirt has lost its shape?
The neck is usually the first area to lose shape on a t-shirt, as it's elasticated. It's also the area most prominent to fading, staining, and general fabric wear.

As @Dirk Diggler says, if people are proactively and repeatedly telling you that you should buy yourself new clothes, then you probably do look a complete state and should purchase new clothes more often.

It's like the body odour thing. If someone has pointed it out, you've probably already let it get too bad.

Caporegime
OP
The neck is usually the first area to lose shape on a t-shirt, as it's elasticated. It's also the area most prominent to fading, staining, and general fabric wear.

As @Dirk Diggler says, if people are proactively and repeatedly telling you that you should buy yourself new clothes, then you probably do look a complete state and should purchase new clothes more often.

It's like the body odour thing. If someone has pointed it out, you've probably already let it get too bad.
I'm not going to buy clothes just to gain someone else's approval. I'm fine with the clothes I have, and this thread is just for a bit of a laugh.

People generally are judgemental dicks, about most things, and I don't really care for their approval or otherwise. About the only exception is work, because I need money, to live :p

Man of Honour
I'm not going to buy clothes just to gain someone else's approval. I'm fine with the clothes I have, and this thread is just for a bit of a laugh.

People generally are judgemental dicks, about most things, and I don't really care for their approval or otherwise. About the only exception is work, because I need money, to live :p
As long as you are aware that things like that hinder your broader social prospects and advancement (romantic, friendship, career etc) then no problem.
If that is a problem, then... buy new clothes would be a good start.

Caporegime
OP
As long as you are aware that things like that hinder your broader social prospects and advancement (romantic, friendship, career etc) then no problem.
If that is a problem, then... buy new clothes would be a good start.
Like I said, most human beings are judgemental dicks, so advancement in human society just means compliance with the whims of a bunch of judgemental dicks.

Why should I care about any of that.. ultimately nobody's opinions are worth anything, at the end of the day. Everybody is just arrogantly proclaiming that people should fit with their own expectations.

Human society is a pretentious, self-serving crock of *****. I could spend effort chasing the ideal body, the ideal look, and it would be 100% wasted effort. I would gain the respect of people I don't care about. Why bother?

Associate
I've had some of my clothes for over 10 years. If you don't wear something that often and it's still in good condition, I don't see why you'd chuck it out unless it was some fashion fad item that seems ridiculous now.

Man of Honour
Like I said, most human beings are judgemental dicks, so advancement in human society just means compliance with the whims of a bunch of judgemental dicks.

Why should I care about any of that.. ultimately nobody's opinions are worth anything, at the end of the day. Everybody is just arrogantly proclaiming that people should fit with their own expectations.

Human society is a pretentious, self-serving crock of *****. I could spend effort chasing the ideal body, the ideal look, and it would be 100% wasted effort. I would gain the respect of people I don't care about. Why bother?
Like you said, you don't care, so it isn't important.

Soldato

I don't disagree with the statements but humans are social animals with 10,000's years of evolution affected by our social interactions. For many of us, I'm not suggesting all, group identification and or acknowledgement provides wellbeing benefits. So not being told we need new clothes or being told how good your wardrobe looks can be beneficial to us. Which is not to say we should dress as other tell us. Also the subliminal messages that people give off by their reaction to us affects our mood and wellbeing. I'm not suggesting any of this specifically relates to you, I quite simply have too little information to make a judgement. More a general comment on why there might be value to bothering

Don
I have a T-shirt I still wear that I bought in 1992. It's a band shirt for Boss Drum by The Shamen so has pretty much gone full circle and is cool again.
I also have a pair of Church's shoes that I bought in 1996. They have been re-soled 3 times but the leather is still shiny.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ooooo! The Shamen. :D

I remember I used to burn out the cassettes of theirs back in the early 90s that their stuff was so good.

I'll always love this one.

Soldato
Stop listening to idiots who shop at primark would be my advice.

Some Primark stuff is really good, I have lived in their £11 combat trousers for the past 18months, no idea how they do them for £11 at the quality they actually are, but Im not complaining. Even look good with my Superdry Polo Shirt :)

I'm actually in the process of having to replace most of my clothes as I have gone from 38 trousers being tight to 34s being loose, and gone from wearing 2XL to M/L tops, but I do find a lot of stuff is just horrid, especially from the more expensive shops.

Back
Top Bottom