Mountain Biking

Soldato
As soon as I have it and get out on it I will get some better pictures, all bikes deserve a splash of colour and yours looks appropriately done, I may have taken the Wispa theme too far but I have never been afraid of a bit of colour or clashing horribly!

There is too much choice now especially with the e-bikes, Must admit I couldn't bring myself to get an e-bike even though it may have helped me uphill, but I definitely wanted a FS again after running the PP Shan for a few years and with that being 26" wheels and mostly old tech I wanted something up to date, the Druid is also setup as a mullet :)

I feel if you are building a new bike currently it has to be your dream build as they are so expensive nowadays you want to do it once and do it right.

The OcUK MTB meets where always a great weekend, maybe one day we could organise another, a reunion :cry:
I think I'll end up with the Spur. Too much is putting me off an Ebike. Yes it would be fun being faster.
But, the weight would be annoying, I can't custom build it, so much extra to go wrong, apparently they don't like lots of water (who thought that was a good idea), future costs.
So think I'll do a Spur with some nice carbon wheels, SRAM AXS throughout, and swap my current bars, stem, and brakes over.

Man of Honour
I think I'll end up with the Spur. Too much is putting me off an Ebike. Yes it would be fun being faster.
But, the weight would be annoying, I can't custom build it, so much extra to go wrong, apparently they don't like lots of water (who thought that was a good idea), future costs.
So think I'll do a Spur with some nice carbon wheels, SRAM AXS throughout, and swap my current bars, stem, and brakes over.

I came to a similar decision for the E-Bike too, I deliberated for ages on whether to go with AXS or not and in the end got a good deal on an X01 groupset so it is all wired for now, thought I could always change it in the future if I wanted. My current bike has cables so can't see them being of any issue on the new one!

The final piece of the puzzle arrived for the build so just need to get chance to drop it into the LBS and pick up the bike.

rwo7an9.jpg

Soldato
Alright lads,

Stay safe when hitting the trails. Had a big scare this last weekend, a friend hit the Leap of Faith at Gisburn - a good 10ft gap jump, panicked at the drop in, hit the brakes (nono, pedal through it), still attempted the gap and fell a good 4 ft short of the goal.

He went OTB, head and shoulder first into the ramp on the other side, he landed on the ramp but the bike did not. 2 hours later incl. 3 Bowland Mountain Rescue teams and 1 helicopter, he was flown to Blackburn and later moved to Preston Trauma unit. Unsure of his injuries at the time we had to keep him dead still. We were fortunate to be beside fire road and be in an area of Gisburn Forest that has signal, as well as with first-aid trained bystanders who's kids were hitting the gap. I don't know how it would have turned out had there been nobody near & no signal. Extremely fortunate.

Initial injuries suspected by the hospital were severe, C1 and C2 vertebrae breaks, shoulder dislocation & fracture, as well as a broken back. A few days later with neck supports, it was downgraded to a fracture in the C2, C1 is fine. Shoulder and back remain the same. He's seriously lucky. He's sat up with neck support finally and is getting his final X-rays today and hopefully discharged, at home and on his feet albeit with a long recovery.

He's keeping the bike, and can't wait to be on the trails again, just likely that he'll stay clear of Gisburn. "It gives me the ***** to think about it". He is laughing and joking though, "think there was more faith than leap" - indeed there was lol.

Thank **** he's gonna be alright. Stay safe, make sure you aren't riding alone, and BAIL if you aren't sure on anything. Panic took over, he should have bailed, but did not. It happens, accidents happens, but just stay safe at all times boys (and girls).

Back
Top Bottom