Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Is anyone aware of a real life battery comparison between the smaller and larger watches? The 40mm would probably fit my wrist better, but if the battery is going to run flat in less than a day with everything turned on, I'll go for the larger model. I don't mind charging every night.
Both sizes of watches should have a similar battery life. While the smaller of the watches has a smaller battery. It's also got a smaller screen to balance it out.

Soldato
Both sizes of watches should have a similar battery life. While the smaller of the watches has a smaller battery. It's also got a smaller screen to balance it out.

That's what I'd hoped, but the 44mm has a battery that's about 40% larger to do the heavy lifting of non-screen stuff like GPS, OS etc. It's a significant difference given that the screen isn't the only drain on the battery.

Soldato
42mm classic. AOD off. Don't really need it when I have raise wrist to wake on. Screen comes on when I need it

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping to move on from AOD-off (I currently have an Apple Watch 3 with no AOD) because raise to wake can be infuriating sometimes.

Associate
Wow, stock issues? What size, colours? Silver Classic 46mm + m/l strap has been at preparing dispatch since Sat, so am expecting it Friday.

Black 46mm...not holding my breath. May cancel at this rate....

Samsung have managed to alienate quite a few folk by taking away the 20% deal early and also reducing trade in values after a couple of days... Now delays... Doing themselves no favours. Must have been inspired by nvidia and their woeful launches!

Soldato
Samsung have managed to alienate quite a few folk by taking away the 20% deal early and also reducing trade in values after a couple of days...

They've replaced the 20% off deal with a fairly stupid offer of +£75/£100 additional trade in value through selected retailers, but since the watch isn't officially out yet, you have to trade in before or after delivery through a third party and rely on it all working out. Curry's for example will only offer a trade-in in store, at which point they issue you with a gift card that you use online to order the watch. It's not very intuitive at all.

Soldato
Black 46mm...not holding my breath. May cancel at this rate....

Samsung have managed to alienate quite a few folk by taking away the 20% deal early and also reducing trade in values after a couple of days... Now delays... Doing themselves no favours. Must have been inspired by nvidia and their woeful launches!

Because Samsung should have kept the 20% code indefinitely? Just until you got around to using it? Samsung often run "only for this weekend" promotions (it's how I got multiple discounts on my S21 a few months ago).
As for the delays - the common denominator at the moment are those people who opted for something other than the standard strap that seem to be seeing the delay in delivery.

You describe the launch as woeful. I used discounts when they were available and received my new watch a week before launch date - I'll describe it as absolutely excellent.

Soldato
Because Samsung should have kept the 20% code indefinitely?

All their other offers are clearly dated for expiry, but this one appeared and then was yoinked without warning. It came across as a bit of a mess to me - like someone in Samsung thought it was a great idea but then someone else thought it was too generous and pulled it - but fair play to those who took advantage.

Associate
@stoofa Nope not indefinitely , and i got a discount too, so i'm not personally affected. I was mentioning it because the end date was some time in October , but as @Squink says , it was taken without warning. If it had been 48hours only , then i don't think anyone would have felt hard-done by (I don't , Just annoyed at not having mine yet) , Likewise they rapidly reduced their trade in values (But to make it clear... Again didn't affect me, as i wasn't trading one in)

And yes, I'm annoyed because i'm still waiting.

nam

nam

Soldato
Is anyone aware of a real life battery comparison between the smaller and larger watches? The 40mm would probably fit my wrist better, but if the battery is going to run flat in less than a day with everything turned on, I'll go for the larger model. I don't mind charging every night.

I am finding a higher battery usage on mine after 5 days on my 42mm Classic watch 4 compared to my previous 40mm Galaxy Watch Active 2. So 100% from 8am now at 17:44 i have 62% so definitely not great. I wear my watch whilst i sleep no services running just with bedtime mode active so will most likely need another charge before i sleep. I have also AOD off just WIFI and BT on. I am hoping this is a Firmware issue and will be fixed in a update.

Soldato
I am finding a higher battery usage on mine after 5 days on my 42mm Classic watch 4 compared to my previous 40mm Galaxy Watch Active 2.

I had the smaller size original Galaxy Watch with the rotating bezel (not sure if they called it 'Classic' back then) and it kind of got 2 days with AOD and everything else turned on, while most reports on the GW4 suggest the battery life is a bit uncertain - like you've described.

I've ordered a GW non-classic in 44mm, just for the larger battery. Since having an Apple Watch, I've got used to charging every day, but really I'd like the chance to use the sleep tracking if I want, and that means it has to last more than 24 hours with all the bells and whistles turned on.

As you say, some of these battery issues sound like they could be fixed now that the product is out in the wild and giving Samsung a much greater number of testers to find problems.

Associate
Hmm wonder if mine been delayed.

Pre-ordered the Watch 4 44mm from Curry's on the 11th rather than Samsung because i've got a £100 gift card that needed using, tomorrow it's officially released & i've nothing to say it's shipped or preparing to ship from them.

Just been on Curry's website and the Watch 4 44mm has disappeared off there, they only have the 40mm and the 42mm classic listed now :/.

Well the day still young so expecting some kind of email today hopefully saying it be with me tomorrow if not I'll be mighty p****d off, as i've had to book the day off from work due to both the Wife working & Parents being on holiday so nobody free to take delivery of it.

Back
Top Bottom