• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Soldato
I don't always have my phone with me, in fact some days I don't get chance to check it from 6am until about 5-6pm so that's not much of an option.

What I need is one of these layabout jobs where I am sat at a desk or at home all day.

Nothing to do with being a layabout - mate works long hours with lots of meeting but you see there is an app called Discord. On the stock Discords,they actually know the day before when the drops can happen. So its usually at either 9am or 2pm on the stock drop day. So you just make sure you logged onto the retailer at the correct time and click through the Nvidia website and its done in a few minutes. But this was not for my mate,but for someone else. There had been at least 3 to 4 drops over the last month at that point.

They already had a non-FE AIB RTX3060TI which they got two weeks before Christmas 2020 from the same retailer for £420. You didn't really need Discords or alerts last year to get an RTX3060TI - they just checked the retailer website and it was there. It shows you how much miners took the mickey for most of this year and screwed over pricing and availability for the rest of us.

In my case,I sort of tried earlier in the year,but was always doing something else when the alert was there. Then I basically didn't bother for yonks as I had better things to do. However a few weeks ago,the RTX3060TI FE alert literally popped up on HUKD for nearly an hour and I happened to be on a PC at the time,and it was in stock so purchased one.

:p

Soldato
Nothing to do with being a layabout - mate works long hours with lots of meeting but you see there is an app called Discord. On the stock Discords,they actually know the day before when the drops can happen. So its usually at either 9am or 2pm on the stock drop day. So you just make sure you logged onto the retailer at the correct time and click through the Nvidia website and its done in a few minutes. But this was not for my mate,but for someone else. There had been at least 3 to 4 drops over the last month at that point.

They already had a non-FE AIB RTX3060TI which they got two weeks before Christmas 2020 from the same retailer for £420. You didn't really need Discords or alerts last year to get an RTX3060TI - they just checked the retailer website and it was there. It shows you how much miners took the mickey for most of this year and screwed over pricing and availability for the rest of us.

In my case,I sort of tried earlier in the year,but was always doing something else when the alert was there. Then I basically didn't bother for yonks as I had better things to do. However a few weeks ago,the RTX3060TI FE alert literally popped up on HUKD for nearly an hour and I happened to be on a PC at the time,and it was in stock so purchased one.

:p

If that's what I need to do then I stand no chance. Probably end up with something second hand for a year or so.

Associate
Looking to bite the bullet and pick a GPU. I sold my PC to fund a PS5 just before all the prices went crazy.

Availability is a 3060ti @ £599 or a 6600XT @ £450.

This would be bought via a retailer, I am not wanting second hand, I just can't see a way to get something at RRP :mad:

Soldato
The GPU shortage is ending now, the are plenty around.

Just stand fast and wait. ;)

Soon 1080s will be £150 and 3080s will be around £800.

Dont buy and people will be stuck, retailers and second hand sellers.

WAIT!;)

Associate
I have been in the queue for an EVGA RTX3080 since Jan 2nd with another retailer. Frankly I have concluded that it's highly unlikely EVGA will ever ship my card because many of the 3080's from EVGA have seemingly never even shipped in the 12 months since launch. Most of the supply nowadays seems to be the Ti range or AMD and so last week I spotted a deal on the Gigabyte Radeon RX6800XT at another retailer (£950) and bought it. I'm happy to report that the card is absolutely flying on everything I throw at my Alienware Aurora R6 (I7-7700) based machine. In short I am so glad I switched to AMD who seem to have better supply just now and I have no regrets at all. FS2020 in VR is just absolutely stunning in my Reverb G2 compared to the blurry visuals I had to accept on my GTX1080 to get acceptable frame rates. That's the thing at the moment, you might as well forget about RRP and accept that it's a trade off between paying over the odds and enjoying superb gaming now or waiting in the hope that supply improves and you can buy for RRP in 2022 or 2023. Personally I see no point in losing a year or two of being able to game with the highest possible fidelity for the sake of a £300 premium, indeed I actually wish I had jumped in sooner rather than wasting 8 months waiting for an RTX that never came!

Interestingly the retailer who I originally ordered the RTX3080 from has just posted on their discord that cards have gone up in price yet again and that they see a further worsening price trend throughout 2022. This tallies with what Gibbo posted.

Incidentally I have been very impressed with Overclockers customer service on here (even as a none-customer). So much so that I called them and asked them to match the £950 price on the Gigabyte as I would prefer to buy from them but in light of the supply shortages at present they declined. I can understand that, disappointing though it was and I would have no hesitation in buying from Overclockers again in future (I have bought bits in the past).

Associate
Despite Nvidia's record figures the share price dropped over fears of oversupply in the GPU market in the coming months. Nvidia will be reducing production if they want to artificially keep prices high and availability low due to the end of the crypto boom. Pretty much all cards are in stock somewhere even if retailers are still charging scalper prices. If there's a shortage of Nvidia cards next year that will be due to Nvidia restricting supply NOT excessive demand.

the old Nintendo philosophy

OcUK Staff
The issue is demand, it is up across all sectors, the corporate and professionals want the gaming cards, businesses want the gaming cards, system integrators want them, gamers want them, miners want them, scalpers want them.

Actual shipments are strong, like NVIDIA we are too having record sales the problem is even when we get a relatively large delivery of say 500+ or 1000+ cards they get purchased extremely fast even when listed at none deal prices, the demand is simply way beyond where it should be.

It is also sector wide, shortages across other sectors are not necessarily because their is less supply than year before, but the demand has exploded for many numerous reasons, when bitcoin collapsed several weeks ago the supply did improve but even without mining demand the demand was still beyond the supply.

The fact that the world needs more laptops, which have GPU's, more chips for cars which have GPU's everything is short, new factories won't come online until later in 2023 so the shortage is here to stay, we may gvet weeks or even a month where things seem better and then it gets worse, that is just the way it is.

The fact is we are still generally limiting our sales to 1pc per customers and to UK only, we also rarely ever promote a product, once supply improves we can simply turn the demand up by making some noise, as such I still feel things won't get much better if at all in the short term.

However I would love to be wrong and all the demand I have placed with AIBs to get fulfilled next week. :)

When it comes to those still waiting for 3080's, my advice request your money back or consider changing your order to something in stock as the 3080's are all now but EOL and as such it is very unlikely we will see any more stock come in.

Soldato
The issue is demand, it is up across all sectors, the corporate and professionals want the gaming cards, businesses want the gaming cards, system integrators want them, gamers want them, miners want them, scalpers want them.

Actual shipments are strong, like NVIDIA we are too having record sales the problem is even when we get a relatively large delivery of say 500+ or 1000+ cards they get purchased extremely fast even when listed at none deal prices, the demand is simply way beyond where it should be.

It is also sector wide, shortages across other sectors are not necessarily because their is less supply than year before, but the demand has exploded for many numerous reasons, when bitcoin collapsed several weeks ago the supply did improve but even without mining demand the demand was still beyond the supply.

The fact that the world needs more laptops, which have GPU's, more chips for cars which have GPU's everything is short, new factories won't come online until later in 2023 so the shortage is here to stay, we may gvet weeks or even a month where things seem better and then it gets worse, that is just the way it is.

The fact is we are still generally limiting our sales to 1pc per customers and to UK only, we also rarely ever promote a product, once supply improves we can simply turn the demand up by making some noise, as such I still feel things won't get much better if at all in the short term.

However I would love to be wrong and all the demand I have placed with AIBs to get fulfilled next week. :)

When it comes to those still waiting for 3080's, my advice request your money back or consider changing your order to something in stock as the 3080's are all now but EOL and as such it is very unlikely we will see any more stock come in.
Is there any hope of the Zotac's going on sale again? Can see the stock but its obviously quite a bit more in terms of cost now.

OcUK Staff
Is there any hope of the Zotac's going on sale again? Can see the stock but its obviously quite a bit more in terms of cost now.

At the moment nope, but we are hoping next month we might get a really big drop of stock, at the moment at the current pricing they are selling very fast, so as a business it makes sense for us but if we can get a really large drop next month then we can drop price either online and they will sell out fast or do a forum only deal.

Soldato
Hopefully thing will change when the ETH bubble pops by Dec and it moves to proof of state....I need a new GPU already haaha!
If you need a new GPU the best strategy is try and purchase one at new GPU launch. That's what I done with the 6600XT, I got the Sapphire Nitro+ for £389 a few weeks ago (already expensive for what it is :o) and now it's shot up to £450 (snooze you lose). The ETH bubble will burst and it will help the situation but won't be the sliver bullet that cures all.

Back
Top Bottom