Nandos closed...

Soldato
Our supermarket (Countdown) even has queues for online shopping now! We have a huge shortage of fresh meat, alcohol shelves were empty when I went shopping on Tuesday and frozen products are low, as is pet food!

Commissario
do supermarkets really have issues or is it more that they only have 1-2 brands instead of about 5 different versions of the same thing?
One of the first signs that the supply and delivery chain is having trouble is something like supermarket chains cutting down on choice...

Apparently the plan is they'll reduce the lesser selling brands first to keep the maximum number of customers happy (so they'll say try to keep the most popular booze in stock but drop lesser selling brands even if those dropped brands are a higher profit margin), then they'll do things like reducing the number of multipacks because someone might buy 4x individual packs of crisps rather than a pack of 6, but they won't generally buy a pack of 6 if they just want one (I think there is also an element that for some items the delivery boxes for singles take up less space for the same total number than the multipacks).
Effectively it's triaging the stock to try and maintain the most common items when there isn't the capacity in either drivers or at the ports.

One of the biggest dairies in the country was reporting a week or two back that they'd not been able to deliver to something like a third of the supermarkets they supply because of a shortage of drivers, at the same time our milkman suddenly stopped delivering (which is extremely unusual in the 10 years we've had him*), and when we ordered some to be delivered as part of a Morrisons home delivery they subbed it out for cravendale (which I noted had a much shorter date than later deliveries).

I've noticed an increase in things in our grocery deliveries getting subbed, and certain things being out of stock for much longer than normal for a few months, things that were fine during the worst parts of the pandemic last year.

At this point I can quite believe that the reason McDonalds doesn't have any stock for milkshakes may well be that a dairy supplier is prioritising deliveries to supermarkets or for other more essential milk based products.

*At this point I'm not sure if he's gone bust, ill/had an accident or supply issues as I had noticed his deliveries over the previous few weeks had been from two or more dairies (rather than his normal one) and often shorter dates as if he was struggling to get stock. Unfortunately he's never been good at communicating.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well if they cut benefits and increase wages instead of claiming bumper profits every year people may get off their arses.

Caporegime
One of the first signs that the supply and delivery chain is having trouble is something like supermarket chains cutting down on choice...

Apparently the plan is they'll reduce the lesser selling brands first to keep the maximum number of customers happy (so they'll say try to keep the most popular booze in stock but drop lesser selling brands even if those dropped brands are a higher profit margin), then they'll do things like reducing the number of multipacks because someone might buy 4x individual packs of crisps rather than a pack of 6, but they won't generally buy a pack of 6 if they just want one (I think there is also an element that for some items the delivery boxes for singles take up less space for the same total number than the multipacks).
Effectively it's triaging the stock to try and maintain the most common items when there isn't the capacity in either drivers or at the ports.

One of the biggest dairies in the country was reporting a week or two back that they'd not been able to deliver to something like a third of the supermarkets they supply because of a shortage of drivers, at the same time our milkman suddenly stopped delivering (which is extremely unusual in the 10 years we've had him*), and when we ordered some to be delivered as part of a Morrisons home delivery they subbed it out for cravendale (which I noted had a much shorter date than later deliveries).

I've noticed an increase in things in our grocery deliveries getting subbed, and certain things being out of stock for much longer than normal for a few months, things that were fine during the worst parts of the pandemic last year.

At this point I can quite believe that the reason McDonalds doesn't have any stock for milkshakes may well be that a dairy supplier is prioritising deliveries to supermarkets or for other more essential milk based products.

*At this point I'm not sure if he's gone bust, ill/had an accident or supply issues as I had noticed his deliveries over the previous few weeks had been from two or more dairies (rather than his normal one) and often shorter dates as if he was struggling to get stock. Unfortunately he's never been good at communicating.
Yeah I’ve noticed that myself. Whereas before there’d be like 5 different brands of bread, there’s now 2 or so.

Caporegime
Nandos is just KFC on a plate & charged twice as much for the privilege.

Just order some KFC, put it on a plate and set fire to twenty quid and then you have your "cHeEkY nAnDoS".

For extra authenticity, jump into your pop & bang mapped Fiesta ecoboost and go try to get into the pants of a 14yr old outside the school gate by inviting her to partake in the venture.

It's the same as KFC the same way Aldi is the same as Waitrose.

Nandos doesn't batter their chicken for a start

Caporegime
All you need is some chicken, Nando’s peri peri sauces, marinade, perinaise, chips and some peri salt- all available at supermarkets.

Marinade the chicken first thing in the morning. Then grill chicken in the evening, cook chips etc

Wrong.

The stuff they put on the chicken when it's on the grill cannot be bought also the stuff they sell bottled is completely different and crap.

Only their sauce is the same. Even the salt is different.

Man of Honour

Some of the drivers we've had in have said the supermarkets are having trouble with moving chilled goods and other perishables in a timely fashion, one was claiming (no idea if true) he was paid £1000 just to pull an extra shift to run several lorry loads of them which otherwise would have to be disposed of due to a lack of drivers and backlog building up in storing them.

Soldato
Well if they cut benefits and increase wages instead of claiming bumper profits every year people may get off their arses.

Heh, I saw an interview with an employer on TV. After discussing his recruitment problems and all he had done to improve it, he said "we've tried everything and things haven't improved. We may have to look at increasing pay."

Soldato
Annoys me when the media and companies blame Brexit for shortages of lorry drivers and low stock on the shelves. Have relatives in France and a friend’s parents living in Portugal, both experiencing similar things.

You can’t blame Brexit for this

Soldato
Until a few years ago, our tobacco delivery came on a separate delivery. Now it goes on the ambient delivery. We had no delivery since Friday. All the deliveries since had no tobacco. Fed up with irate customers coming in three times a day demanding their cigs.

This doesn’t help my anxiety levels.

Everyone needs to work in retail or understand supply chains.

Soldato
OP
Annoys me when the media and companies blame Brexit for shortages of lorry drivers and low stock on the shelves. Have relatives in France and a friend’s parents living in Portugal, both experiencing similar things.

You can’t blame Brexit for this

There are multiple factors, if you want to talk about Brexit do it in the Brexit thread else the powers that be will close this thread.

Soldato
OP
Some of the drivers we've had in have said the supermarkets are having trouble with moving chilled goods and other perishables in a timely fashion, one was claiming (no idea if true) he was paid £1000 just to pull an extra shift to run several lorry loads of them which otherwise would have to be disposed of due to a lack of drivers and backlog building up in storing them.

Would say that £1000 extra per shift is just a case of ‘these things happen’?

From what you see, is the problem getting worse? I see that Tesco and Co-Op are now stating there will be more shortages.

Back
Top Bottom