Afghanistan - 20 years on

Soldato
Well they claim to control the city and are sitting in the capitol building. So it's up to them to keep it safe if they want to be taken seriously.

Exactly, if they had any sense they'd be securing the perimeter of the perimeter of the airport and making sure the process of people leaving ran as smooth as possible. They are so close to being rid of interference its not worth jeopardising it.

Permabanned
yep its a massive kill box, seriously worried about them.

I just dont understand how did we let Kabul fall like that. It should have been made clear to Taliban that Kabul is off limits till we're done doing our stuff. Instead we're reduced to a tiny airport literally in range of mortars and manpads should they decide to shoot at passenger aircrafts.

Couple people off the roof with either manpads or high calibre machine guns and your departing passenger aircraft is done for.

This is magnitudes more embarrassing than Dunkirk. One was faced with a giant blitzgrieg machine and other is facing men on donkeys with weapons from 1950's. Yet somehow we managed to end up in much more tougher and embarassing position than Dunkirk

Man of Honour
Can't find good sources but supposedly suicide bombings are still going on around Kabul as of right now just further away from the airport.

Associate
Don't get me wrong i was a get in and do the job in hand over a year but 20 years and this happens...

the language used during this pentagon briefing is so submissive. I get the fact they need to get out but now US soldiers have been killed and they are still keeping this soft language is insane to me.

Man of Honour
Don't get me wrong i was a get in and do the job in hand over a year but 20 years and this happens...

the language used during this pentagon briefing is so submissive. I get the fact they need to get out but now US soldiers have been killed and they are still keeping this soft language is insane to me.

Pentagon CENTCOM commander Gen. McKenzie expects more attacks on #Kabul airport and says the U.S. reached out to the Taliban to "make sure they know what we expect them to do to protect us."

I mean...

Soldato
I just dont understand how did we let Kabul fall like that. It should have been made clear to Taliban that Kabul is off limits till we're done doing our stuff. Instead we're reduced to a tiny airport literally in range of mortars and manpads should they decide to shoot at passenger aircrafts.

Personally think there was an element of being chased out. ‘We defeated ourselves’: Trump’s national security adviser says Pompeo signed ‘surrender agreement’ with Taliban
Said my piece already on this but shocking disaster tbh. War against Terrorism ended in a failed occupation, being chased out by the Taliban keeping the USA/West to a deadline of 31st Aug and terrorist attacks happening on the way out. It was after all supposed to be a breading ground for terrorism that was meant to be dismantled. Bad end to the war against terrorism. Waste of 20 years. Hatred of the West probably even worse.

Feel sad for the Afghan's and those who lost their lives today.

Soldato
Pentagon brief live just now said bomber was being searched by US forces but the Taliban is on the perimeter of the airfield and suppose to scan people coming in.

Even the chief said that Taliban do a mixed job on checking people.

Soldato
You do realize that Afghanistan right now after 20 years of war is not just Taliban right? They made huge progress but there are plenty of ISIS and other terror groups operating in area. I do not like Taliban. Yet saying that somehow they have a handle on whole situation is ridicolous. The country has been at war for over century. Even after WW2 ended there were hard-core Nazis in forests causing havoc. To expect that Taliban has lid-tight control over Afghanistan is insane. they were literally hiding in mountains a month ago.

Nahh i don't buy that. As Ayahuasca points out, they would have freed large numbers of ISIS et al followers from Afghan prisons. If they can't get their people in order, then they've no right to even contemplate running the country.

Permabanned
Pentagon brief live just now said bomber was being searched by US forces but the Taliban is on the perimeter of the airfield and suppose to scan people coming in.

Even the chief said that Taliban do a mixed job on checking people.

Imagine trusting Taliban with security of NATO forces. I mean you could not make this up. If you said this 2 weeks ago, you'd be taken to the cray cray house.

Let alone coming from a mouth of pentagon chief

Man of Honour
BTW 90% of the videos coming out supposedly of these bombings are from Gaza not Kabul, couple from a fuel station fire in Russia, etc.

Permabanned
Nahh i don't buy that. As Ayahuasca points out, they would have freed large numbers of ISIS et al followers from Afghan prisons. If they can't get their people in order, then they've no right to even contemplate running the country.

If Taliban were to meet your expectations then we'd have to worry about them invading Europe and US next. We took 20 years and could not do it, Russians tried before and could not do it. Taliban meanwhile is supposed to keep whole nation in order in check within 1 month from coming down from Mountains?

If they were able to do so, I'd be very worried.

Back
Top Bottom