• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 in a pcie 2.0 motherboard?

Soldato
Yeah, it should work fine. An x16 2.0 slot is even enough to feed that class of card with only a couple of percent drop in performance, though obviously you're likely to end up CPU limited a lot of the time.

Associate
My brother is using a i7 2600 and in games at 1440p it can at times hold back a Titan Xp a lot... so an i5 2500k and a more powerful gpu will only be worse.. in theory it will work yes but you won't be stretching the legs on that 3070 :)

Man of Honour
It will all depend on if the motherboard bios supports the new cards. If you are on the latest bios and get a black screen that usually means the card isn't supported and unless there's a beta bios it never will be. Unfortunately you won't know until you try.

Associate
It'll be fine. I got a 3080 FE on last weeks drop and have been using it temporarily with the same motherboard, Asus p8p67 pro rev 3.0 with a i7 2600k @4.3ghz.
Was planning on a new 5950X build but have now decided just to wait a few months until Zen 3 + V-Cache or Alder Lake releases.

Associate
OP
Sorry to resurrect this thread.
Installed and running ok. Updated bois and works for now, with 30% gpu and 100% utilisation in BFV ;)

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom