Afghanistan - 20 years on

Man of Honour
I’ll admit, playing the “I have another meeting” card as the US president in a press conference is ******* hilarious

I have nothing against Biden, despite the way some of my posts might come across, but his days of being a president are long in the past.

Caporegime
Cool. Still little bearded fascists.

But professors and experts? wow Afghanistan should be prospering within the next few decades then.
I wonder what the place will look like in 50 or 100 years time.

I think the odds of it still being a backwards hell-hole are pretty good.

It seems some places can't lift themselves above subsistence living or corrupt, tribal, conflict-ridden existences. Maybe it's the leaders, maybe it's the people themselves. Maybe it's religion, or tradition.

But you can point to any number of places and societies on this planet that basically have no hope for a better future. They won't improve, they'll just carry on in the same way their ancestors lived for the next millennia.

Man of Honour
But you can point to any number of places and societies on this planet that basically have no hope for a better future. They won't improve, they'll just carry on in the same way their ancestors lived for the next millennia.

TBH the spiral of many countries seems to be more towards that direction than real improvements.

Caporegime
Still not a great approach - even if a lot of it is older hardware, etc. the Taliban have acquired a ton of light armour vehicles some of it quite modern.
I saw reports saying they had light weight modern body armor, night vision goggles and sniper rifles left behind by the Afghan army.

thats kinda game changing tech for the Taliban or any terrorist groups they could sell it to surely.

any other terrorist groups or maybe even some governments in the region will have worse gear putting them at a disadvantage

Caporegime
I saw reports saying they had light weight modern body armor, night vision goggles and sniper rifles left behind by the Afghan army.

thats kinda game changing tech for the Taliban or any terrorist groups they could sell it to surely.

any other terrorist groups or maybe even some governments in the region will have worse gear putting them at a disadvantage

How long is any of it good for though?

Soldato
The whole premise of this hap hazard retreat was apparently to safeguard American lives and to pull the soldiers out of an ongoing bloody and expensive war.

Yet the shortsightedness and the manner in which it’s been conducted created the airport and evacuation mess and has how resulted in the greatest loss of American lives in Afghanistan for something like ten years, and hundreds of dead Afghanistan (and probably American) civilians.

It’s a shocking and absurd situation.

RIP to the soldiers who were working in terrible circumstances trying to ensure people could escape tyranny. Hero’s all of them.

Back
Top Bottom