Top 5 PC Games ( 2011 - 2021 )

Associate
No Man's Sky
Borderlands 3
Carrier Command Gaia Mission
Grand Theft Auto 5
Invisible Inc

These are the ones I've spent the most time with.

Soldato
Difficult to say. With so many games being, Multiplatform a lot of you have listed games that were not pc games for me as I played them on console.

Personally to 5 would include:

Mount & blade 2
Deus x hr
Crusader King's 3
A total war, maybe warhammer 2,but I love all the historical ones.
Dishonored

Associate
Maybe I'm tough to please, but I can't really think of what my top 5 would be. So I'll name some that surprised me.

Borderlands 2.
I liked #1, thought the story was OK, and the action was good. Picked up #2 thinking it'd be pretty much the same and had myself a laugh doing the story and still solid gun play. The DLCs also surprised. Shame BL:TPS wasn't as good (IMO). If I decide on a top 5, BL2 would probably be on there.

Factorio.
Who knew that base layouts were drugs in disguise. There's not much to the actual game TBH, but you definitely end up losing time playing it. Trying to figure out how to route what you need to where you need it.

Warhammer Vermintide 2.
Solid melee PvE gameplay. It was good on release, but the missions do get a bit old after you've played them a bit. Thankfully they released a semi random game mode for free recently which keeps the game fresh and interesting. Spent more time on that than I expected to.

Magicka.
It has bugs. I've had the game crash on me more times than I'd like. That said, the gameplay is decent, spamming out spells using (q,w,e,r,a,s,d,f) and then a few modifiers to change where you cast things. Followed by the fact friendly fire is a thing, and spamming lightning bolt a few too many times killing everything on the screen - including your buddy and yourself.

Sword of the Stars 2.
A 4x strategy game that had almost everything. Including bugs and poor performance. Or good AI/diplomacy.
Different types of weapons (plasma, lasers, mass drivers, missiles, rockets, cutting beams) all with different damage profiles, min/max/optimal ranges, power usage and supply cost.
Different defenses to counter different weapons (shields/defectors/PD).
Ability to target different sections of the ships, including individual weapons.
Boarding parties. Deployable fighters, bombers. Carriers that carried battle riders (essentially destroyers), and bigger carriers that carried battleships.
Different class ships (cruisers, dreadnoughts, leviathans), different FTL drive for each race that played differently, different ships design philosophies based on race.
Tech tree that had feasibility (your race might have a predisposition to mass drivers and being able to research them, but the RNG gods might decide that you've failed the feasibility study and be blocked from doing it). Salvage ships to steal other races tech. And a slaver race doing slave raids on your planets, stealing your civilian pop.
WMDs to take out enemy planets (zombie plague :D).

Launched in a **** poor state, they kept working on it releasing an expansion and new race for free - essentially as a re-release of the game. Unfortunately there were issues between the devs and paradox, so the game was never really 'finished'. Still played 340 hours on it. Pew Pew! Also got some desktop wallpapers from it :D

As a side note, I've only really got a couple of top games, Mass Effect 2, and Portal 2. BL2 is very close though.

Last edited:
Associate
AC Odyssey (first AC game I played)
The Forest (Really enjoyed this co-op with the missus)
ARK (Lots of hours co-op with missus)
Darkest Dungeon (Great game)
Fortnite (I know.. started playing mid season 1 and it kept me interested for a year or so)

That's the first five that I can think of off top of my head..

VR mentions :

Project cars
The Thril of the fight
Beat Sabre
Robo Recall
The Climb

Soldato
I will struggle to name 5 tbh. Compared the 10 years prior to 2011 I really haven't played that many video games (work, life, general apathy) but I'll give it a go:

- Skyrim, mods make this game very repayable
- Age of Empires 2 HD
- Civilization 5 expansion packs
- Total War Fall of the Samurai

Other then that I spend my time playing older games or emulators. These days I lack the desire patients to learn new and complex games mechanics.

Associate
I've probably put the most time into these recently:

Witcher 3
Kingdom Come Deliverance
RDR2
Snowrunner
Assetto Corsa Competizione

Honourable mentions to:
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain
Skyrim
Borderlands The Pre-Sequel
Raceroom racing experience
F1 2010 (just outside the 10 year period, but it spawned a whole succession of titles from Codemasters)

Soldato
If you are going to make a thread like this, it would be more interesting if you wanted also an order, points, and then made a summary of what this forum likes based on it.

Anyway...

Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption 2
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Sleeping Dogs
Cyberpunk 2077

Honorable mentions: Prey, Dishonored 2, Mass Effect 3

Associate
Ooof - tough call... hmm...

1) Half Life: Alyx
2) Dead Space 2
3) Deus Ex Human Revolution
4) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (damn, 2011 was a fantastic year for games eh?)
5) Metro Exodus

Honourable mention to Cyberpunk 2077 since despite its flaws and the shabby state it was released in, I did genuinely enjoy it.

@npjnpj - nice to find another Carrier Command: Gaia Mission fan! :cool:

Soldato
FTL: Faster Than Light

I still play this off an on. My game lost all my saved achievements, I mananged to complete the final guy with all but maybe 2 of the ships (on medium) and only a few on hard at all. I am going back through it now on medium trying to win it with all the ships, but a couple of them are terrible.

My brother has finished the last guy with every single ship on hard, I mean wtf!!!!!

Associate
I'll try and pick 5 games to fill different categories:

Space Game - No Man's Sky
First Person RPG - Kingdom Come Deliverance
Isometric RPG - Pathfinder Kingmaker
MMO - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Strategy - Europa Universalis IV

Back
Top Bottom