• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP! Brand New RX 6600 XT - One Fan Spinning at 100%

Associate
Hi there,

Got a brand new Sapphire Nitro RX 6600 XT last week from Overclockers. Only just installed this morning and one fan is spinning at 100%. This is despite both Sapphire Trixx and AMD Radeon reporting 0 RPM.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Soldato
At idle. More or less as soon as the PC starts up. Only one fan. Checked radeon and it reports 0 RPM.

That is a little odd, what happens if you start something to put load under the GPU?
If i recall, my middle fan spins while the others can be static - might be mistaken but I don't watch it to be fair.
If you have installed the Radeon Pro software, check the fan settings as you can make it zero RPM

Associate
OP
Its only got 2 fans. One fan is just constantly spinning at 100% even just using Windows. This looks a dud card. I've raised a ticket with Sapphire but not holding out much hope.

Soldato
Try using afterburner and in the fan tab set 'Enable user defined software automatic fan control with a curve and if that can control it then it should be fine. Or use the sapphire software to set a temp curve.

Associate
OP
I created a custom fan curve in the AMD Performance tab and flicked on and off the 0 RPM mode. One of the fans responds correctly and spins down. However the other one that's constantly spinning doesn't respond. According to AMD both fans should be 0 RPM.

I wonder if there's a loose connection somewhere that stopping the driver from accessing it.

Permabanned
Possible driver detail left over from previous card? You could try DDU and then reinstall the drivers. Try the card in another PC if that doesn't help before looking at RMA.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. Already used DDU in the first place and the second PC isn't an option. The fact that I can clearly see the driver working with one of the fans is suggesting a hardware rather than software issue.

Man of Honour
There should be a fan check thing in the trixx software, the nitro has fans that are supposed to be easily replaced (it's even a marketing point on the website), so if one is faulty they might send out a replacement.

You have checked with task manager that there's 100% no load on the GPU, right?

Soldato
Hi there,

Got a brand new Sapphire Nitro RX 6600 XT last week from Overclockers. Only just installed this morning and one fan is spinning at 100%. This is despite both Sapphire Trixx and AMD Radeon reporting 0 RPM.

What can I do?

Thanks.

If one fan is at 100% and other at 0% it means the card is faulty if you did DDU and then reinstalled the drivers to rule out a bad driver install. This type of issue normally is a fan controller fault or a bad fan not reporting correctly its speed or the fan has one of the rpm cables damaged and not talking to the gpu fan controller so it goes to 100%.

I would start and RMA if you also ruled out it behaves that way on another pc too if you have one available to test on, also if it does that while in bios too then there is a fault on the card (in this case one fan will be 100% and the other will be slower or off) and if you don't have another pc to test it on RMA it and ask them to check it.

Soldato
Think 100% is the fans default and it's up to the hardware to rejuce it. I would return it as it looks like the card cannot control one of the fans.

Associate
OP
Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. The fan was also like this in the bios so i've sent it back via RMA today. Real pity as i've waited months for a card. One of the quirks post brexit is that because i live in dublin i can only avail of a refund. Given the price of the card is now 60 quid more, looks like i'll be waiting a few months more. Can only hope my rx 480 holds out :)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom