• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 FE RMA opinion?

Soldato
I would still RMA for peace of mind
Is the replacement card better? I remember your coil whine video… that was some noise haha.

For me, my 1st 3080 would ramp up to 100% fan speed, so I RMA’d it and got a replacement. The replacement card was much better and fan speeds are normal, however, VRAM temps. were still high (in the 100C’s)… So I replaced the thermal pads, VRAM temps. are now in the 80C’s.

Sod the warranty, I take full responsibility.

the replacement has coil whine but it isnt as bad with under volting and when fans kick in gets drowned out . I did notice at stock the replacement doesnt seem to boost as high so get slightly lower scores even though the temps look better guess thats silicon lottery with under volting it brings up the scores so not big deal

I do notice the vram getting upto 90c in some games such as Red Dead 2 will be replacing the pads just waiting on stock of Gelid GP-EXTREME they seem to be in demand , I will probably do the backplate as well I know it only adds -1-2c

Associate
I would still RMA for peace of mind

the replacement has coil whine but it isnt as bad with under volting and when fans kick in gets drowned out . I did notice at stock the replacement doesnt seem to boost as high so get slightly lower scores even though the temps look better guess thats silicon lottery with under volting it brings up the scores so not big deal

I do notice the vram getting upto 90c in some games such as Red Dead 2 will be replacing the pads just waiting on stock of Gelid GP-EXTREME they seem to be in demand , I will probably do the backplate as well I know it only adds -1-2c
Good to hear.

Gelid Extreme are easy to get, I can get the 2/3 mm version from China (can't say the retailer), takes about 2 weeks to be delivered to the UK.

Soldato
Good to hear.

Gelid Extreme are easy to get, I can get the 2/3 mm version from China (can't say the retailer), takes about 2 weeks to be delivered to the UK.

yeah I seen them but the wait was hoping someone in UK would pop up with stock this rate probably better off ordering from China

Associate
Good to hear.

Gelid emailed Kedarwolf on overclock.net and told him to avoid the "Darker" color Chinese 120mm * 120mm pads that come in a ziploc bag with a label, as they are using an older process and have been known to have quality issues.
Only use the retail 80mm * 40mm (Extreme)E or 90mm * 50mm (Ultimate) pads.

Also new dimensions for pad replacement. Just tested this today with outstanding results (also managed to touch up my really bad 8 pin #1 shunt mod, which dropped 8 pin #1 much closer to 8 pin #2 (4 "uncorrected" watts at 580W TDP(!), 1-2 watts at 400W TDP.

Anyway....

Front VRAM: 1.5mm Gelid Extremes (DO NOT use Ultimates)
Front VRM's left/right banks: 2mm Gelid Extremes (Do NOT use Ultimates)

Backplate: your choice of 1.5mm or 2mm Gelid Ultimates or Extremes.
TFX or Kryonaut Extreme or FuzeIce Plus thermal paste, fully spread on the core.

Associate
I’ve just come across this thread and I’m pretty much in the same position as OP. I found that applying pressure underneath the card drops the VRAM temps by at least 15c.

I haven’t replaced any pads, just put these two braces underneath.

The braces are applying a bit of pressure so I’m a little bit concerned it might damage the card, not sure..

I’m convinced this is the case with every 3090 FE as a friend of mine with a 3090 FE is doing the same thing.

0-E0-CA93-E-BF12-40-B0-8-F35-8423-A7095512.jpg

MCJcLhY

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ve just come across this thread and I’m pretty much in the same position as OP. I found that applying pressure underneath the card drops the VRAM temps by at least 15c.

The braces are applying a bit of pressure so I’m a little bit concerned it might damage the card, not sure..

I’m convinced this is the case with every 3090 FE as a friend of mine with a 3090 FE is doing the same thing.

0-E0-CA93-E-BF12-40-B0-8-F35-8423-A7095512.jpg

MCJcLhY

Great to hear you had a similar success. Its great to drop those temps without taking the card apart. My first attempt dropped them temps by a fair amount, then I took it one step further and applied a load of pressure and the temps went through the floor. I fairly am confident this will not damage the card as the resistance is taken by where the card screws into the back of the pc. My lego stand is bar tight against the cooler. Works a treat.

Associate
i would RMA it if you arent happy with it and while i dont blame people for doing it i dont think anyone should have to go through the hassle of repasting their GPUS due to Nvidia ****** quality control, specially a 1400 quid GPU.

Associate

MCJcLhY

Having seen this thread, I built a lego support for my 3090FE too.
I already changed the rear-pads, and temps now top around 95 for the VRAM.
But I never opened the front of the card, so I thought maybe Id have the same issue.

I can report that nothing changed by adding the support. So I dont think its ALL 3090FEs.

Saw on reddit recently an FE owner who opened there card found a thermal pad from the VRAM had been misplaced and went part way across the core :o, so it does seem like there is definitely a QA issue right now.
Wonder what you would find if you opened yours?

If you aren't comfortable, id probably look to RMA just like I advised to the OP too.
Applying pressure to stop the fans going to 100% sounds like there must be something not right under there.

Associate
Having seen this thread, I built a lego support for my 3090FE too.
I already changed the rear-pads, and temps now top around 95 for the VRAM.
But I never opened the front of the card, so I thought maybe Id have the same issue.

I can report that nothing changed by adding the support. So I dont think its ALL 3090FEs.

Saw on reddit recently an FE owner who opened there card found a thermal pad from the VRAM had been misplaced and went part way across the core :o, so it does seem like there is definitely a QA issue right now.
Wonder what you would find if you opened yours?

If you aren't comfortable, id probably look to RMA just like I advised to the OP too.
Applying pressure to stop the fans going to 100% sounds like there must be something not right under there.

Interesting.. I wonder if when you’ve added the replacement pads they’ve been thicker and made up for the poor contact of the stock ones?

I would open mine but I’m unsure on where that leaves 3 year manufacturer warranty with Nvidia? I’d like to keep that intact if possible.

Something that makes me think is this widespread is that without the contact my cards VRAM temps top out around 106-8c, which I hear is normal? I haven’t seen many cases of people getting temps down to sub 94c without mods while mining or gaming with stock pads. Could be wrong though..

Maybe I should RMA with Scan and do this again for the sake of science :D

Associate
Amazed you can have sag with three screws holding it in!

I don’t think it’s actually sag from the whole GPU itself and it’s screwed it properly and secure.

The metal heat sinks underneath are a separate piece and applying pressure gives it better contact with the card itself. If you see what I mean haha

For example, if I apply pressure on the silver part of the card right at the edge, there is no temperature decrease.

Back
Top Bottom