Anyone do wombling (litter picking) here

Soldato
was on the way back from BMW, think they disconnect them in the workshop.

Totally off topic, but I might be a bit suspicious of a garage that routinely turns off dashcams. What are they trying to stop you seeing them do? Like the Halfords I took my C63 to for an aircon re-gas, and when I went to pick it up it had done 2 miles. I bet they'd have turned off a dashcam if I had one!

taB

taB

Associate
Thanks for the app recommendation. We do litter picking around the village with the kids sometimes. It's quite engaging for them, costs nothing and you can just grab the stuff and head out.

Caporegime
Totally off topic, but I might be a bit suspicious of a garage that routinely turns off dashcams. What are they trying to stop you seeing them do? Like the Halfords I took my C63 to for an aircon re-gas, and when I went to pick it up it had done 2 miles. I bet they'd have turned off a dashcam if I had one!

They'd be legaly required with gdpr to turn them off now wouldn't they?

You can't record the staff at work and keep their data

Soldato
I do occasionally pick up litter (just take my litter picker and a plastic bag on a walk), not organised in any way or anywhere near as extensively as OP - good effort, I feel inspired!

Most common litter I find is just boring stuff like face masks, dog poo bags, wrappers, bottles, cans, etc.

I might take a trowel with me next time to try and scrape up broken glass embedded in a path and in a stream in the park. Picking up broken glass is a real pain

Does make me so angry that some people litter, but don't actually see it in person very often. Beeped a car in front of me once for throwing a plastic bottle out of the window, they decided to just crawl along at 5mph for a bit to assert their dominance or whatever. See people that I suspect will leave litter more frequently (eg groups of teenagers drinking in the woods, and sure enough there happen to be a bunch of discarded bottles where they were sitting next time I walk by), but you can't tell people off on the assumption they'll do something bad unfortunately :p

Associate
I normally do our end of the road and the park at the end. Our road ends with allotments and a smallish park area. There is also an alleyway which leads you through to a much larger grassed park area and onto a housing estate.

The litter is much much worse it term times as the kids use our road as a cut through to get to the larger park and the school the other side.

though I’ve seen just as many ‘adults’ dropping litter.

Caporegime
Wombling used to be this:

What does wombling mean?

'Wombling' involves finding shopping receipts that have been discarded as litter, then inputting codes on the receipt into supermarkets' price check websites and getting a voucher for the difference.

Caporegime
I really hate litter droppers, if you drop littler and are reading this i think you are brain dead
the countries young student age people who hang out in parks sunbathing are disgusting.

cans. bottles, takeaway containers always just left on the grass at my local city centre park, if the bins are full people just dump a pile next to the bin.

seagulls and pidgeons have pushed all the small birds and half the ducks away

Caporegime
The dog **** bags i don't get. You go to the effort of scooping dog excrement into a plastic bag and walk your mutt for MILES but can't walk 100m to the provided bin. Should be grounds for summary execution IMO
most dog bins stink like poop.... the bags most people use can't be very good or they don't tie them

Soldato
OP
most dog bins stink like poop.... the bags most people use can't be very good or they don't tie them

My dad was on his daily walk in early April 2020 (2 weeks into lockdown) and walked past McDs. He saw a man putting his dog’s poo bag into a McDs bin. Yet a council bin about 20m from there. It would have been another 9 weeks before McDs was open for drive thru only and the bins wouldn’t be emptied. We didn’t know how long they would be shut then. Yet the council bins are emptied a couple of times a week at least.

Man of Honour
When I was 5, I got a birthday card from Uncle Bulgaria. Best day ever!

I still have a cuddly toy Orinoco. It's about 50 years old now.

The first music I ever bought was a single of "Remember you're a Womble"/"The Wombles of Wimbledon Common"

I was well into the Wombles.

Soldato
OP
Either by yourself, a friend or group? I’m a member of a local group. Would love to womble more but the joys of retail, restricts me.

Find it rewarding. What gives me the buzz is seeing what random things I or my group find.

The group does picks down residential, industrial areas plus main roads. All three we get the general cans, bottles, crisp packets.

Strangest find I found a hand luggage sized suitcase with about 40 bras
Most disgusting find has to be a roll of carpet with human poo in the middle
Best find the group found was a prestige Tuba in its case. Can’t remember what happened to the tuba. Think contacted the police about this.

On a group pick at an industrial park, I found a van door behind a fence. It has been there for 9 years based on Streetview. With a large piece of wood (also wombled), I pushed the door until I could grab hold of it.

If you or anyone is interested in picking, some councils will provide the equipment - picker, bag hoop and hi viz. Also the bags.Or give you contact details of the main organiser(s) of a local group.

The country is a disgusting mess. It needs people to be educated to dispose rubbish properly. Also tougher fines for fly tipping. Most of the group believe that the councils are to blame for some of the fly tipping. As they charge for bulky waste to be collected at home and charge for certain items such as toilets, plasterboard etc. It must cost councils more to pick this stuff than they receive from residents paying.

People need to be told that the outside isn’t a bin. If finish a bottle of water, keep in the car until you are at home or stopping en route and put into a contraption called a bin. Next time you are driving and stop at traffic lights, look at the rubbish there.

Consigliere
Never heard the term 'wobble' but fair play to you and those that are part of the group - definitely agree people are awful at putting things in a bin and just making the local area a dump.

I am in West Sussex and the village I am in arranges bi-weekly litter picking. It's staggering how much rubbish they collect in a day.

Back
Top Bottom