Blank screen sometimes after resuming from sleep (S3)

Associate
I want to write a Task that does the same thing as Ctrl+Shift+Win+B to automatically reset the Gfx Driver upon resume from sleep.

I am on the latest BIOS and NV Drivers.

Does anyone have an idea?

Associate
I think I had a similar problem, I fixed it by turning off fast startup. It's in the power options in control panel, if you select "Choose what the power buttons do", there's the option to turn off fast startup.

I have no idea what the fast startup option actually changes, because even with that off it still boots more or less instantly anyway. It does however now boot 100% of the time from sleep with no problem. I'd give that a try first, rather than scheduling a reset of the graphics driver. I don't think there is a nice way of scheduling keypresses either, you'd need to write a vbs script, and schedule that to run.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have tried disabling fast start up and even hibernate, but it still doesn’t show Windows log in half the time. The only way that fixes it is using Ctrl+Shift+win+B.

Although hibernate does display the POST screen and the spinning dots before it goes blank.

Associate
Are you sure it is the gfx driver? Are you overclocking the system RAM? I had a similar problem after tweaking RAM settings and it was fixed by setting back to default.

Associate
OP
I don’t think it’s the driver causing the problem as it only happens on one of my computers with RTX 3090’s (although they are from different manufacturers). I would think everyone who uses S3 sleep would have the same problem. Resetting the driver just happens to fix the issue. Its most likely a problem with the MB BIOS not re-initialising the GFX driver properly depending on what the current state of the driver was at the moment computer went to sleep. Sometimes it works fine others it doesn’t. But that is just my best guess.

None of my Computers are overclocked as I prefer stability and reliability over a few percent better performance. I have had issues when overclocking that plagued me for years with the computer in my signature with intermittent freezes and not knowing why. Ultimately the memory failed for good after 3 years of annoyance. Once replaced I have never had a problem.

As I cannot be sure what the issue is my work around is to reset the GFX driver each time I wake the computer automatically. Hopefully Windows 11 won’t have the same problem.

Associate
OP
The Spec of the computer with the problem is:-

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 48 °C
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1330MHz (18-18-18-43)
Motherboard
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax (AM4) 34 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG (7680x4320@60Hz)
24GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (NVIDIA) 33 °C
Storage
3726GB Samsung SSD 870 QVO 4TB (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 USB Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Associate
I don't think there is a way to program sending the windows key using powershell or vbs, so you'd need to use something like autohotkeys, you can write a script to press Ctrl+Shift+Win+B and run that on wake using task scheduler.
Also, I found this program - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU has a program called restart64.exe, which restarts the graphics driver. It seems to work ok, so you could also just schedule that to run as admin on wake as well.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link. It will work but I don't like the option screen that shows after the screen comes back on.

Googling I found a Macro creater program called TinyTask that records keyboard and mouse operations and
creates a standalone macro .exe to run it.

I can link that in Task Scheduler which should work.

It doesn't have the ability to edit the macro so I cant edit out unnecessary key presses and mouse movements like you can do on excel VBA.

Associate
Thanks for the link. It will work but I don't like the option screen that shows after the screen comes back on.

Googling I found a Macro creater program called TinyTask that records keyboard and mouse operations and
creates a standalone macro .exe to run it.

I can link that in Task Scheduler which should work.

It doesn't have the ability to edit the macro so I cant edit out unnecessary key presses and mouse movements like you can do on excel VBA.

You can also rename the restart64.exe program to restart-only.exe, and it won't open the options screen after.

Associate
OP
Looks like my issue might be a known bug:-

2021-08 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5005101)

Updates an issue that might cause an external monitor to display a black screen after Hibernation. This issue might occur when the external monitor connects to a docking station using a certain hardware interface.

Back
Top Bottom