• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are RX 6800 XT not wanted?

Soldato
Gheez, lots of different view,

The 6800 XT looks like a monster for my 1440 needs, but I don't think I can swallow the near 1k price tag.

What about a 6700 XT instead? What ever I get, will need to last for 12-14months minimum

Suppose I'm looking for best value than best performance for 1440

I had a 6800XT now I have a 6700XT, it’s brilliant at 1440p. The frame rates are so high most of the time that I wouldn’t even know unless I was watching the FPS counter. Obviously a 3070FE makes the 6700XT look quite expensive, but it is a nice card. I went with the Sapphire Nitro+ and it’s probably the quietest GPU I have ever used under load. It’s insanely quiet. It’s what swung it for me, as I really enjoy a very quiet PC.

Permabanned
RDNA2 is a bit of a failure with poor RT performance and no DLSS like support, hence Nvidia's huge lead within the market. As you have probably heard Intel are entering the arena with proper DLSS(XeSS) like tech, which will probably push AMD from 2nd position to 3rd. On the bright side though, RDNA2 looks decent in consoles, which is where it should have stayed.

Soldato
RDNA2 is a bit of a failure with poor RT performance and no DLSS like support, hence Nvidia's huge lead within the market. As you have probably heard Intel are entering the arena with proper DLSS(XeSS) like tech, which will probably push AMD from 2nd position to 3rd. On the bright side though, RDNA2 looks decent in consoles, which is where it should have stayed.

You are aware that RT performance is better than the first gen RTX 20xx series, and DLSS `like` is already out and its called FSR?

Soldato
The idea that RDNA2 is a failure is comical, as you already admit it provides the basis of all the next gen consoles and it’s performance on the PC is very strong and competitive. A more competitive product than Nvidia have faced for generations.

Permabanned
The idea that RDNA2 is a failure is comical, as you already admit it provides the basis of all the next gen consoles and it’s performance on the PC is very strong and competitive. A more competitive product than Nvidia have faced for generations.

With up to 50% less RT performance and no form of AI supersampling, it's hardly a next gen chip. It's competitive in both legacy titles and legacy engines. So why buy a 'next gen' GPU when it just can't handle 'next gen', why settle for less?

Soldato
With up to 50% less RT performance and no form of AI supersampling, it's hardly a next gen chip. It's competitive in both legacy titles and legacy engines. So why buy a 'next gen' GPU when it just can't handle 'next gen', why settle for less?
AI supersampling is tech used to mask lower performance lets have it right! in the ps2 era they used checkerboard rendering and back then it was viewed in a negative light, today it's touted as a good thing :cry:

Soldato
In which ‘next gen’ games is it not competitive? There’s very few titles where they are overwhelming beaten, and thats modern games, not even legacy.

They still have reasonable RT performance, or has a 2080 Super/2080Ti now also become totally out of date for games in the next year or two.

Given they form the basis of the consoles, most engines are going to be built around their tech. In a number of PS5/SX titles they’ve already shown RT and decent performance, so I don’t think RNDA2 is a fail in any respect really.

Associate
I want a 6800XT, just waiting for them to drop down to £849. I'm convincing myself it will happen soon but I thought that when they were £899 on here last week and we can see how well that went lol.

Soldato
RDNA2 is a bit of a failure with poor RT performance and no DLSS like support, hence Nvidia's huge lead within the market

You're saying Nvidia has a bigger market share because of RT and DLS???

What about Pascal?
What about Maxwell?
What about Kepler?

Nvidia have had the biggest market share for over a decade. People clearly aren't buying Nvidia just because of a cool feature like RT or DLS.

Good marketing, branding, loyalty etc are the only explanation. The consumer seems to rate those as a higher importance than features.

To answer the OP, the reason the 6800 XT is not wanted is because it's got the wrong branding on it.

Associate
I'd love a 6800xt if they made any in 2 slot. I'd take a 6800 reference card even at a markup if there was any way to buy one in the UK. There aren't even many 6700xt that'll fit in a Dan A4.
nVidia I can go all the way up to a 3080ti FE.

Soldato
Would you have bought the 6900XT though if it wasn't paid for by Jensen? :p

Yes as I was upgrading my PC last September and wanted to go all AMD this time round. :p

As you have probably heard Intel are entering the arena with proper DLSS(XeSS) like tech, which will probably push AMD from 2nd position to 3rd.

Intel have said XeSS will work on any GPU so it wouldnt push AMD from 2nd to 3rd.

Associate
I would love one to complete my Ryzen build soon but the prices are way too high so I will have to plod on with my old GTX1080 for the time being

Permabanned
You're saying Nvidia has a bigger market share because of RT and DLS???

What about Pascal?
What about Maxwell?
What about Kepler?

Nvidia have had the biggest market share for over a decade. People clearly aren't buying Nvidia just because of a cool feature like RT or DLS.

Good marketing, branding, loyalty etc are the only explanation. The consumer seems to rate those as a higher importance than features.

To answer the OP, the reason the 6800 XT is not wanted is because it's got the wrong branding on it.

I'm saying next gen tech pushes GPU sales.

Intel have said XeSS will work on any GPU so it wouldnt push AMD from 2nd to 3rd.

Relying on a competitor's tech. Does that sound like a leader?

AI supersampling is tech used to mask lower performance lets have it right! in the ps2 era they used checkerboard rendering and back then it was viewed in a negative light, today it's touted as a good thing :cry:

DLSS and by the looks of it XeSS is a good thing as it allows us to have higher detail, better physics, more realistic environments and cooler PCs.

Back
Top Bottom